Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playlists and playcount "lost" after supposed crash (Read 4412 times) previous topic - next topic

Playlists and playcount "lost" after supposed crash

As the title suggests, my playlists and playcount got a little funky after a crash. I can't precise what crashed since I was asleep and the system has a Scheduled Task to run a series of command-line commands to properly close Foobar2000 and then put Windows on stand-by.
It usually works fine, I have been using this for more than a year now in order to make Foobar2000 play an online radio to help me sleep and properly close Foobar2000 and suspend the PC at a given time.

The problem I had today was for some reason the suspension process didn't complete (the computer remained on, with fans spinning and all) and I suspect Foobar may have been involved since when I opened it all my playlists were lost ... actually they were kind of there, but there were many more playlists than should be, and most of them empty. But the most important thing was that they no longer had their names nor the Dynamic Playlist filter (since most of them were Dynamic, they were rendered useless).

I don't know where the playcounts are stored, but if there is any chance to recover my old playlists from that mess created after the crash it would be great. I only had about a dozen playlists but for some reason when I checked the folder there were now 30 playlist files  I RARed and uploaded the files in the playlists folder just in case https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34868554/playlists.rar

If there is any other file or information that could be helpful on solving this mystery just ask.

Not sure if it's relevant or not but in any case, I use a portable installation, I think it was v1.1.13, I'm not sure now since I updated hoping it would magically fix the situation.

Thanks in advance

Reply #1
I don't know where the playcounts are stored

They are stored in the folder foobar2000\index-data.

Beyond that I am afraid there cannot be much if anything done to get your previous, working configuration back:
  • Playlist names : From what I know, foobar2000 gets the names from the 'index.dat'. I looked into your dat-file and couldn't find hints referencing to playlist names other than those which your foobar does currently show.
  • Playlist content : I also looked into your playlists. Those that are shown as beeing empty by fb2k, are empty (don't contain track entries).
If I were you I would check the HDD for errors and use Autosave & Autobackup from now forth.

If foobar2000 crashes it normally welcomes you with an error message offering to start it either in normal or minimal mode and to send a bug report to the developers; these reports are saved in the directory foobar2000\dump, if I remember correctly. Are there any recently created files in? The Windows event viewer might also give you information about what has happened.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #2
I don't know where the playcounts are stored

They are stored in the folder foobar2000\index-data.

Beyond that I am afraid there cannot be much if anything done to get your previous, working configuration back:
  • Playlist names : From what I know, foobar2000 gets the names from the 'index.dat'. I looked into your dat-file and couldn't find hints referencing to playlist names other than those which your foobar does currently show.
  • Playlist content : I also looked into your playlists. Those that are shown as beeing empty by fb2k, are empty (don't contain track entries).
If I were you I would check the HDD for errors and use Autosave & Autobackup from now forth.

If foobar2000 crashes it normally welcomes you with an error message offering to start it either in normal or minimal mode and to send a bug report to the developers; these reports are saved in the directory foobar2000\dump, if I remember correctly. Are there any recently created files in? The Windows event viewer might also give you information about what has happened.
That's sad to hear, but it was kinda of expected. Thanks for the plugin recommendation though, will start using it right away to prevent running into this issue again 

The problem was probably due my Windows' acquired attitude. It's the same installation since Seven was launched, which already makes it act funky sometimes, my recent trend of making it go to Stand-By instead of a full Shutdown as I used to probably doesn't help 

Foobar wasn't the only one that crashed, it was a system-wide crash, therefore no dump file was created. 

Reply #3
I have a very similiar problem. After a crash, I restored a system backup, overwriting my foobar2000 folder. Now my %playcount% column shows 0 for all tracks, but the correct playcount is still stored in the PLAY_COUNT tag of my files. Why doesn't foobar read it from the file tag? Anyone know how to fix this?

Reply #5
Awesome, thank you! It works now! $meta(play_count) reads the play count directly from file tags. %playcount% reads the playcount from an internal database, which was reset when I overwrote my foobar folder.

Reply #6
Did you try importing the tag info back into the database? I'm just curious. I'm not suggesting that you do or do not do it.

Reply #7
No, I didn't even know that's possible. How do I do that?

Reply #8
In the context menu under Playback Statistics, there is an "Import statistics from file tags" entry.

If you don't see it, hold Shift while right-clicking. You can enable/disable its automatic display in the context menu by customizing the context menu at Preferences > Display > Context Menu.

Reply #9
It works! Thank you very much, if I only knew about this earlier