Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3PRO vs MPC to Audio CD Question (Read 4464 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3PRO vs MPC to Audio CD Question

I've been using MPC lately, but have wondered if it's really nessesary to use so high quality (insane preset). I was considering mp3PRO again (because of the filesize). Now mp3PRO sounds good enough for me, i'm not critically listening to the music I have encoded, so quality probably shouldn't be first priority. Then again, I want to have the option to create audio cds from my encoded collection. But since thats gonna be mp3PRO if I decide to switch, then I want to know if there's some analysis of the AVERAGE NON-CRITICAL listening person's ability to hear the difference between an mp3PRO sourced audio cd, and say an MPC-insane?

BTW: Is anyone able to select VBR in the Nero mp3PRO encoder ("registered" version)

Reply #1
hmm.... first I would consider using a lower setting for mpc like standard.

I'm not sure about this but I think mp3pro is only for very low bitrates.

Maybe ogg should be considered.

Jan.

Reply #2
Yes, the highest bitrate currently for mp3Pro is 96kbps and I would suggest that the latest RC3 OggVorbis from: http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/  will probably give you higher quality, even at 96kbps. Give it a try and see what you think.

john33

Reply #3
mpc -standard would provide you with quality even if you change your current audio setup...

Take me for instance: I bought a Klipsch 5.1 system and I ended erasing all my --r3mix mp3s  cute ain't it?

mpc -standard is guaranteed for 99% of the samples to provide you with transparency even on high-end audio equipment.

And mp3PRO sounds too artificial even for me (3 months ago I believed that Xing 160 VBR was CD quality).

You might try the latest OGG Vorbis of course, but don't go lower than 128kbps...

And the last thing: If you use mp3PRO I'd hate to be in your boots when you'll be able to hear pre-echo on fast transients (all types of hihats and cymbals). And just a warning... if you keep hanging around here you will

Reply #5
Holy shit! Who's the billionaire that owns that setup?!