Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby decoding software? (Read 19446 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby decoding software?

Is there such a thing?

I have a great audio interface that outputs 8 channels, but doesn't have onboard surround decoding.  Is it possible to do this in software on my computer?

Thanks!

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #1
DVD player software such as Power DVD or Win DVD includes a Dolby AC3 decoder.

There is also a FREE (unlicensed) CODEC called AC3 Filter.

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #3
Dolby Digital (AC3) can output 6.1 channels thru matrix decoding of Dolby Digital EX streams. There's a free encoder, Aften, which has the feature of setting the EX flag if you want to use it.
Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) supports 8 channels but I don't think it's being used in movies. Also no free encoder available.
Dolby TrueHD also supports up to 8 discrete channels but it's also not used in movies (only 6 channels is used) and there's no option to encode anything in this format as the only encoder available is the same as for Plus, it's called Dolby Media Encoder, it only runs in a Mac and costs U$S 8.000 (I kid you not, 8.000 dollars!).

There are several options to decode Dolby streams.
For Dolby Digital (6 channels) you can use these, some are Directshow decoders:
- AC3filter, which only supports 6 channels of output
- ffdshow, which supports up to 8 channels of output but doesn't do EX decoding, just matrixing
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema or MPC-HC has its own Directshow decoder
- any directshow based decoder from software DVD players that can be used within other directshow player (ie: using cyberlink's decoder in MPC or bsplayer or kmplayer, etc)
- VLC player which uses its own decoders (not Directshow based)
- Mplayer (not directshos based)
For Dolby TrueHD
- ffdshow
- any directshow based decoder from software DVD players that can be  used within other directshow player (ie: using cyberlink's decoder in  MPC or
For Dolby Digital Plus
- ffdshow
- any directshow based decoder from software DVD players that can be  used within other directshow player (ie: using cyberlink's decoder in  MPC or

AC3filter, ffdshow, VLC, MPC-HC and Mplayer and are free. For ffdshow, get the latest "nightly build" ones because the stable ones might not have TrueHD or Plus support.
I hope this helps.
This is a very basic question, so you might wanna head to forum.doom9.org and check out the Audio FAQ in the Audio subforum where you might find the answers to many questions.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&a...8300#post424067
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #4
I suppose OS X software is too much to ask for.
I assume you can play DVDs (with surround sound) on a Mac.      ...I don't know but I'd almost bet OS-X can play DVDs out-of-the box with no additional software.

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #5
I suppose OS X software is too much to ask for.
I assume you can play DVDs (with surround sound) on a Mac.      ...I don't know but I'd almost bet OS-X can play DVDs out-of-the box with no additional software.

They can, but they don't handle surround decoding.  In other words, I would need to run my audio from my mac to a surround receiver.  This is precisely what I want to avoid.

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #6
Which mac do you have?

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #8
Oh sorry about the question, I was wondering which mac had 8-channel analog output, but you said that in the first post.

Have you tried VLC player for Mac? You're trying to play DVD movies, I'm guessing?

Dolby decoding software?

Reply #9
Dolby Digital (AC3) can output 6.1 channels thru matrix decoding of Dolby Digital EX streams. There's a free encoder, Aften, which has the feature of setting the EX flag if you want to use it.

Small addition: Legacy DD will not decode to 6.1 channels, it is and will be 5.1. Feeding it with DD-EX streams won't cause
no harm but will not result in 6.1 channels. A DD-EX decoder will produce the 6.1 channels ... so far for the stuff from Dolby.
A kind of selfmade DD-EX decoder would be the combination you mentioned: use the surround channels (LS/RS) of a
DD decoder and feed it into a ProLogic decoder set to 3-stereo (L,C,R output)...that way you'll get the back-center channel.
Tried once with a receiver combination, worked suprisingly well..:-)