Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "onion" bitrates (Read 7419 times) previous topic - next topic

"onion" bitrates

Hello,

a few years back, I heard (somewhere :-S) of a feature that would theoretically make it possible to encode to Ogg Vorbis in such a way that one could later "transcode" it to a lower bitrate without recoding but instead just taking some chunks. (i.e. originally encode with -q 5 and then do the magic to end up with -q 3 in a very fast and (computationally) inexpensive way)

Does anybody know what this feature is called and it's current status? (Back then, there was just talk that it would be theoretically possible with one certain encoder implementation, but no plans were made to implement it (yet))

Thanks!

P.S: Yes, I searched for it quite extensively, but alas it just won't "click" :-S

"onion" bitrates

Reply #2
It was called peeling, but it would have required a special encoder.
Nobody was willing to write a special encoder, though.
Thank you so much for this blazing fast reply
It's a pitty; but maybe someday... *humming* "dream on, dream on"...

"onion" bitrates

Reply #3
Sort of like MP3pro/HE-AAC without the SBR information (you can strip it) then.
or Monkeys Audio hybrid compression mode.

"onion" bitrates

Reply #4

Whoa, Monkey's has a hybrid compression mode?  I didn't know that.

"onion" bitrates

Reply #5

Not really. Both of those codecs played back without the sbr information aren't that much smaller, but sound a lot worse. Bit peeling would have given gradually lower quality while steadily reducing size. At least that was the promise.