Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: req info: LAME settings .... (Read 2300 times) previous topic - next topic

req info: LAME settings ....

Hello everybody.
I looked this site a long ago, and I remember someone wrote that even if there are new version of LAME, the best vas an older 3.93 (or something like this).

What about newest releases ?

Another question, I have a lot of cd and mp3 ripped at 320kbps, sometimes I have to re-convert them at 128kbps to listen with the mp3 player, which is the best switch to convert at 128 (or similar)? Is there a good preset to use?

Many thanks in advance

Blueaxe

req info: LAME settings ....

Reply #2
Maybe this post can help give an answer.
Your situation sounds a bit similar.

Transcoding from high quality mp3 to moderate quality mp3 is not very attractive because of the quality loss.
So may be you can consider high quality wavPack (lossy) as a primary encoding target, and then transcode to moderate bitrate mp3 or whatever you like.
Setups like that are described in the above mentioned post.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17