Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HARDWARE: Purchase of an inexpensive camcorder (Read 7578 times) previous topic - next topic

HARDWARE: Purchase of an inexpensive camcorder

We are interested in buying the Sony HDR-MV1 Camcorder ($300). It has been put on the market this month.Like any device it isn't perfect: The screen at the side and the lack of zoom makes it uncomfortable to use for anything other than recording live music with a tripod setup.

However, the latter is exactly what we want to do with the cam, with above-average audio quality and good low-light video. The footage will be used in a professional work environment but not be made available for the public in general.

In the past we have had expensive Sony camcorders and Panasonic camcorders and they have become defective shortly after the guarantee expired why we are not willing to spend that much money again.

Is this Sony worth the money or are better alternatives around? One thing that we would miss are XLR line ins.

Hoping to have chosen the appropriate forum for this thread.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #1
This thread can be closed.

We made a promotion deal.

Another manufacturer, another price range.

Reply #2
In the meantime Zoom offer its new Q4 video recorder.

It can do full 1080p HD recording as well as record audio up to 96kHz/24-bit. Its price is slightly higher than what you would have to pay for the Sony HDR-MV1, but it is also more flexible than the latter (having a turnable LCD unit for example). So if you are looking for a camcorder with good audio quality in the lower price range, the Zoom Q4 might also be worthy of consideration.In compliance with my request, smok3 unlocked this thread so that I can add this information.

Reply #3
I might add that with zoom products it's probably worthy to read on the build quality (I borke the plastic battery cover in first minute on h4n).
p.s. Also should mention pretty horrible menu system (Seriously when you are on set and there are 10 nervous people jumping around, the last thing one wants is to play with 80is menu system).
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #4
I might add that with zoom products it's probably worthy to read on the build quality (I borke the plastic battery cover in first minute on h4n).

The other day I damaged the plastic SIM card holder of my new smartphone. It appears to me that too filigree plastic covers have become a sort of standard nowadays..

Do you consider Zoom's build quality on the whole being worse than what Sony or other competitors offer?

p.s. Also should mention pretty horrible menu system (Seriously when you are on set and there are 10 nervous people jumping around, the last thing one wants is to play with 80is menu system).

That '80s-impression is even reinforced by the H4n's vintage display.

To navigate through the Q4's menu should be easier, due to its larger and more up to date screen (LCD vs. Matrix display) alone.

Reply #5
I like my H4n. It has physical mic selection, record, level, and power buttons. What else do you need? The other stuff is set and forget, though the vintage style menus seem logical enough. Admittedly playback on the unit is slightly fiddly, though playing back the last recording is trivial.

An H4n (placed for good audio - almost never near the camcorder) PLUS a separate decent camcorder make a good combination. Not on this budget though.

FWIW in some respects I don't think the audio quality is that good, and in others it's stunning.

Cheers,
David.