Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't delete/change many album arts (Read 3976 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't delete/change many album arts

Hello,

There are many album arts that I can't delete.

My Windows 7 is configured to display all hidden files.
But there are many album art files (folder.jpg) that don't appear in the explorer window despite they exist.  When I try to add a Folder.jpg file, I'm told that this file already exists.    If I replace it, there are no change in players like windows media player : the album art doesn't change.  According to Mp3Tag, there are no album art embedded in the mp3 files.

I'm having this problem with about 30% of my album.  Everything works fine with the others.

I hope you can help me 'cause I'm totally confused.   

Thanks

Reply #1
folder.jpg is considered a "protected opertaing system file" windows. You need to configure explorer to show those files in this dialog.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
You need to configure explorer to show those files in this dialog.

This option is already correctly configured, as I said in my first message.
My problem is that many Folder.jpg are still hidden despite Windows 7 being configured to show hidden files.
Any idea?

Reply #3
configured to show hidden files

To be clear, you also disabled the ''Hide protected operating system files'' option mentioned by shakey_snake?

Reply #4
Are they perhaps flagged "System" as well as Hidden.

From the CMD prompt use the ATTRIB command.

My overall advice is to stop using Microsoft-written software to do anything with regard to media file tags, it's not just frustrating but dangerous.

There are so many great free players and cataloging tools out there, choose something written by people that care about their users.

Reply #5
configured to show hidden files

To be clear, you also disabled the ''Hide protected operating system files'' option mentioned by shakey_snake?

Oh, thanks a lot Trout!   
You made me find the solution.

I realized that the "Hide protected operating system files" check box was missing in my folder option window.
I followed the instruction on this web site to bring it back (using a .reg file).  Then I could unchecked this option and the hidden files appeared.

Reply #6
An alternative to showing all hidden and/or system folders and files unnecessarily (something you may not want to do for various reasons) is to use a CMD prompt as HansBKK alluded to.

In W7 the easiest way to do this for the inexperienced is to:

1) navigate to the directory containing the folder in question
2) hold Shift while right-clicking on the folder and selecting Open command window here
3) in the command window, type
Code: [Select]
attrib -s -h folder.jpg

That will remove the system and hidden attributes from any file (i.e. making it visible and accessible) found which is named folder.jpg in that folder only.

To do this in all subfolders as well, use
Code: [Select]
attrib -s -h folder.jpg /s

Rename these folder.jpg files if you don't want Windows reclaiming them.

EDIT:
Before someone asks, you can do it this way in Vista and later. Those using XP and earlier will have to specify file paths, etc. I do suggest those new to CMD prompts avail themselves of tutorials which are available all over the web.

Also, don't use the CMD willy-nilly. Be careful.