Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: libfdk_aac for encoding AAC: Where and how do I get it (Read 36573 times) previous topic - next topic

libfdk_aac for encoding AAC: Where and how do I get it

According to various guides, like this one:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/AACEncodingGuide

The best AAC encoder to use is libfdk_aac, the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library. FFMpeg supports encoding with it.

However, I have been searching Google for hours now on how to get the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library, to no avail. Apparently, no one wants it, or no one has ever asked about it? I'm VERY VERY confused.

Where would I go to purchase libfdk_aac? How would I install and configure it to work on Windows with FFMpeg?

Can't for the life of me believe or understand why there isn't a single FAQ or guide written to explain this extremely basic and fundamental information.

Please forgive my attitude, I'm just VERY frustrated right now and I do realize I am probably being extremely idiotic and missing something VERY basic.

Reply #1
If I'm not mistaken Fraunhofer AAC is included in Winamp.

Note that the FFMpeg page fails to mention a few other common AAC codecs. This relatively recent public listening test seems to indicate that QuickTime is at least as good as Fraunhofer. You can get all of its functionality on Windows with the QAAC tool if I'm right.

Reply #2
The best AAC encoder to use is libfdk_aac, the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library. FFMpeg supports encoding with it.

How would I install and configure it to work on Windows with FFMpeg?

Hi
You would need to compile FFmpeg yourself configured with options including "--enable-nonfree --enable-libfdk-aac".
There's some information at the Zeranoe forum here ---> Zeranoe forum
But it's not an 'easy' job.

Otherwise, try to find the program "fdkaac.exe" using google, or compile it yourself. 

Reply #3
According to various guides, like this one:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/AACEncodingGuide

However, I have been searching Google for hours now on how to get the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library, to no avail. Apparently, no one wants it, or no one has ever asked about it? I'm VERY VERY confused.

Where would I go to purchase libfdk_aac? How would I install and configure it to work on Windows with FFMpeg?

Can't for the life of me believe or understand why there isn't a single FAQ or guide written to explain this extremely basic and fundamental information.

Please forgive my attitude, I'm just VERY frustrated right now and I do realize I am probably being extremely idiotic and missing something VERY basic.

You can easily create a working ffmpeg with this script https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers/ (in a linux box or linux VM). It really does not take a lot of effort, just read the readme, everything else is automatic.

Re: libfdk_aac for encoding AAC: Where and how do I get it

Reply #4

i know the feeling.  so i did some looking and tracked down QAAC and after going through a few other links, came across the page with compiled versions or something.

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet

I noticed it had an fdkaac archive in it.  I dunno, might be better than nothing.

PS: i found that link from this page, https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/

Reply #5
If I'm not mistaken Fraunhofer AAC is included in Winamp.

No, it's another FhG encoder.

Reply #6
Do you specifically need it included in ffmpeg? I have 32 bit and 64 bit compiles of the 'standalone' encoder, if that's any good to you.

Reply #7
fdkaac is present in Arch Linux repositories, so if you use Arch Linux or a derivative like Manjaro, you automatically have easy access to fdkaac.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #8
I have 32 bit and 64 bit compiles of the 'standalone' encoder, if that's any good to you.
Where are these builds ? I can't find them on your site :(

Reply #10
Thanks! :)

Reply #11
fdkaac isn't bad encoder but its bitrate inconsistency is hardly tolerant.  It ends up with 75-80 kbps for HEAAC  VBR mode 2 when target bitrate is 64 kbps.
Despite this bitrate bloat fdkaac is still somewhat inferior to Apple HE/LC- AAC encoder.

Not recommended.