Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PS2 > Speakers + PC (Read 1663 times) previous topic - next topic

PS2 > Speakers + PC

Greetings,

What I need to do:
1. Play my PS2 on my monitor*
2. Record gameplay (Direct Audio + Video)**
3. Have game sounds playing via desktop 2.0 speakers***
4. Be able to play music via foobar2000 without uplugging anything via same 2.0 desktop speakers****

* I have purchased a VGA switchbox to do just this. It's includes Video RCA Inputs/VGA Outputs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxima-Direct%C2%AE-S-Video-Composite-Converter/dp/B007BI90CS/ref=pd_sim_ce_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D5GH8X6JQM7EFERVS84)

** I need to record the direct audio rather than the ambient audio from the speakers. Do conventional video recording software allow you to select which video outputs to use (VGA, DVI, HDMI? DP?)

*** I require audio coming out of the speakers whilst I'm playing. I would settle for using headphones but really would rather the audio played out of the speakers

**** Meaning I cannot use the primary sound output on the motherboard (Back of PC) for the RCA-Jack (From PS2) cable to go into

I have purchased some RCA stacker to split the PS2 signal into 2 separate lanes
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301117302663?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)
And a coupler
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D8E51I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Starting from the source, I will plug the 2 L+R Audio RCA wires coming out of the PS2 into this coupler. In the other ends of this coupler, I will plug the stackable RCA's. Now this I where I get confused with my options and what is possible audio wise in this setup

I'm just wondering is it possible to have game sounds played via speakers, sound inputted into PC (from PS2) for recording, and music played via foobar2000 without unplugging anything?

Will I need a small 4 channel mixer? A USB soundcard? Can I acheive this with a external audio interface? What's are my best option(s)?

Cheers, Frank

PS2 > Speakers + PC

Reply #1
Do conventional video recording software allow you to select which video outputs to use (VGA, DVI, HDMI? DP?)
It depends on your video capture hardware & software.  How are you capturing (recording) the video?  Most video capture cards have audio and video inputs, but some require you to use your soundcard.    You'll probably need to "split" the video just like you need to split the audio, sending it to your monitor and your video recording input.

Hauppauge sells video capture cards/devices and it looks like they have one specifically for capturing game-play.

3. Have game sounds playing via desktop 2.0 speakers***
4. Be able to play music via foobar2000 without uplugging anything via same 2.0 desktop speakers****

**** Meaning I cannot use the primary sound output on the motherboard (Back of PC) for the RCA-Jack (From PS2) cable to go into

Windows has a mixer, so you can play sounds coming into the soundcard's line-in jacks, and foobar2000 at the same time.   

As long as the computer is turned-on you can send game sounds through the computer.

Otherwise, you need a hardware mixer.