Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC 'starting up' error (Read 5317 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC 'starting up' error

Hi all:

I have never had an issue with EAC before where it simply wouldn't start up, but after an OS format last week, that's what I'm facing. My PC's hardware has not changed at all - EAC was working before the format, but not after. When starting the program up, I see a pop-up stating, "Exact Audio Copy is starting up... Please wait!", and it never goes away. I've left it there for up to an hour and still nothing. I've also searched the Web far and wide for an answer and have come up empty-handed. I've tried various tips and tricks I've seen around the Web unrelated to my issue, and nothing has helped there. I have even cleared out the registry entry for the program, reinstalled the program and once again, nothing at all.

I picked up a handful of CDs on a recent trip and would love to rip them  If anyone has any idea what I should try, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS: I am using the 1.0 beta 3.

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #1
I'd start by looking in the Device Manager for anything amiss. Also make sure you have the necessary motherboard (chipset) drivers installed; often this is something you get through Windows/Microsoft Update, and it can affect drive access. EAC has some command-line options that can be used to disable some features that might be interfering; check the docs in the program folder. You might see if other software like CUERipper (part of CUETools) or dbPoweramp will work.

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #2
I'd start by looking in the Device Manager for anything amiss. Also make sure you have the necessary motherboard (chipset) drivers installed; often this is something you get through Windows/Microsoft Update, and it can affect drive access. EAC has some command-line options that can be used to disable some features that might be interfering; check the docs in the program folder. You might see if other software like CUERipper (part of CUETools) or dbPoweramp will work.

Hi mjb2006 and thanks for the response.

Everything is fine in my Device Manager and all motherboard drivers are installed. I'll check out that command-line option but I am still baffled about why there's an issue at all. Literally nothing in my PC changed across the format, and I never setup the OS different from one time to the next. I'd use dBpoweramp but I prefer to use EAC.

Thanks for the help!

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #3
Hi all:

I have never had an issue with EAC before where it simply wouldn't start up, but after an OS format last week, that's what I'm facing. My PC's hardware has not changed at all - EAC was working before the format, but not after. When starting the program up, I see a pop-up stating, "Exact Audio Copy is starting up... Please wait!", and it never goes away. I've left it there for up to an hour and still nothing. I've also searched the Web far and wide for an answer and have come up empty-handed. I've tried various tips and tricks I've seen around the Web unrelated to my issue, and nothing has helped there. I have even cleared out the registry entry for the program, reinstalled the program and once again, nothing at all.

I picked up a handful of CDs on a recent trip and would love to rip them  If anyone has any idea what I should try, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS: I am using the 1.0 beta 3.

I'm having this same problem, with 1.0 beta 3.  I don't know how to check any of the things that mjb2006 suggested, but I see that wasn't the issue for you anyway.  Did you ever come up with a solution???

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #4
Same issue here (Win7 64 bit, RealTek audio). All drivers up to date.

I've used many different rippers and this is the only one that does this. I even tried a clean install of the OS.

This IS a software issue. My guess is it's trying to do something that's not compatible with all systems. The default functionality of this program needs to be scrutinized and something(s) need to be made optional (off by default).

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #5
::

Try this:

1. Quit EAC
2. Get Ahead ASPI layer
3. Copy wnaspi32.dll to EAC's folder
4. Put the following lines to notepad an save them as "ASPI.reg" (ANSI)

Code: [Select]
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWSoftware\EACU\Drive Options]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWSoftware\EACU\Extraction Options]
"UseASAPISCSIInterface"=hex:00
"UseNativeSCSIInterface"=hex:00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP]

;

5. Import "ASPI.reg" to the registry
6. Start EAC

Greetings, ...

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #6
Thanks Surfi.  I was able to complete up to step 5.  I have no idea how to import a file to the registry.  How exactly is that done?

Try this:

1. Quit EAC
2. Get Ahead ASPI layer

REGEDIT4

;

6. Start EAC

Greetings, ...

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #7
Just double-click on "ASPI.reg" icon and say yes to any dialogs.

(If it only opens for editing when you do this, then you need to change the filename.  It has to be "ASPI.reg" not "ASPI.reg.txt"; a common error when using Notepad.)

EAC 'starting up' error

Reply #8
Never mind.  A quick google search got me the answer.  Should have tried that first!  EAC opened on the first try, so I think that I'm back in business.  Thanks again for your help!

Try this:

1. Quit EAC
2. Get Ahead ASPI layer

REGEDIT4

;

6. Start EAC

Greetings, ...