Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vis in Standard UI (Read 3484 times) previous topic - next topic

Vis in Standard UI

Question asked as in topic description .
One further question: if it is linear, is it possible to make it logarithmic? The vis does look a bit funny with only the left side active.
Of course, if this was intended, then in which case I'd like to ask if it may be possible to allow people to choose the linear or logarithmic display as they prefer. Thanks.

Edit: Shoot, I may have posted in the wrong sub-category. Please move the thread if necessary. I apologise.

Vis in Standard UI

Reply #1

Vis in Standard UI

Reply #2
Linear. Blame that on the way FFT returns data, apparently. foosion's simple spectrum can do logarithmic, but the low frequency end becomes grainy, due to FFT stuff, as well.

I doubt that'll change, mainly because it's not a high-priority problem, but who knows?

Vis in Standard UI

Reply #3
Both frequency scale (horizontal) and energy scale (vertical) are linear in the standard ui's vis.

foo_simple_spectrum uses a linear frequency scale (vertical) by default (logarithmic is optional and tends to look like ass) and a logarithmic energy scale (for the colour mapping).

I guess an (optional) logarithmic scale for the energy might be a good idea for the standard ui's vis as well
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Vis in Standard UI

Reply #4
Question asked as in topic description .
One further question: if it is linear, is it possible to make it logarithmic? The vis does look a bit funny with only the left side active.
Of course, if this was intended, then in which case I'd like to ask if it may be possible to allow people to choose the linear or logarithmic display as they prefer. Thanks.

Edit: Shoot, I may have posted in the wrong sub-category. Please move the thread if necessary. I apologise.

i posted error
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

Vis in Standard UI

Reply #5
(sorry for bumping, but I hope that a relevant developer can provide his views on this. Thanks)

Vis in Standard UI

Reply #6
Amplitude scale should be logaritmic (dB), otherwise it will be very distant from actual human perception.