Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: m4a protected from itunes? I can't convert it with CDEX (Read 4486 times) previous topic - next topic

m4a protected from itunes? I can't convert it with CDEX

I've just download a song with itunes, it's a song from this year but now that i whant to convert it into an mp3 vbr v2 i can't do it.
CDEX says that there's an error with the opening of this file.

It's maybe protected with drm?
Is there a way to convert this file directly into mp3 vbr without bourn it an a cd or else?

Reply #1
No, it's not an issue of DRM - hasn't been any of that on iTunes AAC files for a few years now.

It's been awhile since I've used CDEx, but I'm pretty sure it's a matter of CDEx not knowing what AAC is.

foobar2000 can convert AAC to whatever easily - just be aware that it doesn't transfer album art.

dBPowerAmp can, but it's not freeware, if that matters.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #2
There are lots of free conversion programs.  I find the older FREE version of XRECODE easy & handy for most audio format conversions.  (The newer XRECODE II is $19 USD).

dBPowerAmp can, but it's not freeware, if that matters.
there is a FREE version[/u][/url] of dBpoweramp.

Reply #4
No, it's not an issue of DRM - hasn't been any of that on iTunes AAC files for a few years now.

Not correct. I have an iTunes account from 2004 which I registered for the sole purpose of redeeming Pepsi codes, and all 10 of the songs I purchased are still protected. I have the option of upgrading two of them to DRM-free iTunes Plus for $0.30 each.

Of course, the OP did say M4A, not M4P.