Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How toa avoid growl when notebook hibernates? (Read 2876 times) previous topic - next topic

How toa avoid growl when notebook hibernates?

My notebook is connected to a HiFi receiver. When I shut down the notebook or turn it to hibernate there is a rather loud growl sounding from the speakers connected to the receiver.

How could I avoid this and let the notebook shut down / hibernate without growl and without turning off the receiver?
Win 7, Win Vista, newest stable foobar & EAC & Cue-Tools

Reply #1
Strange....

Is that your "shut-down sound"?  If you hear the same sound from the laptop's built-in speakers, check your set-up to see what sound is associated with "shut-down"...  Maybe try turning-off all of your system sounds.  If you need help with that, tell us what operating system are you running.   

If it's not your shut-down sound, I assume you are using an analog connection from the headphone-out?  Maybe try an external USB soundcard.  You can pick one up for less than $20, so it won't cost a lot to try.

Reply #2
Thank you DVDdoug.

Is that your "shut-down sound"?

I am not quite sure, if I understand right, but I would say it is not.

If you hear the same sound from the laptop's built-in speakers

No, I don't.

I have Win 7.

you are using an analog connection from the headphone-out?

Yes, that's right.

You can pick one up for less than $20, so it won't cost a lot to try.

Good idea, could that improve the sound, also? Is the connection from headphone-out to recommend to have a good sound?

Reply #3
I'm using a similar setup (computer analog output to old-fashioned stereo receiver). I've never noticed anything I'd describe as a "growling" noise, but there is a popping noise that happens when ever the computer is shut down, or turned on. Sometimes it even happens several times in quick succession. I don't know if you've just used a different word to describe the same thing, or if it's actually a different sound.

It seems like it could be an electrical effect of the device shutting off or on. After all, my receiver itself makes a similar little "pop" when I push the power button. So I'm not entirely sure that getting an external sound card would help with this, since the sound card is also going to be powered off when you power off the computer or hibernate it.

This is assuming that your "growl" is the same as my "pop"... if what you're hearing sounds like an actual growling dog (lasting more than a split second), perhaps it's a different issue.

Maybe someone who has an external card can tell us if it makes any noise powering on/off, and which model it is.

As for sound quality - an external card is likely to have better specifications on paper (in terms of noise level, THD, etc.) but I don't think the differences are likely to be audible, in most cases, unless your onboard sound is really terrible.

Reply #4
I've heard it also, with old sound card - changing it changed the behavior. It was like sawtooth waveform going from midbass to bass.
It's the electric circuitry of the sound subsystem of your laptop, you can't help it in any other way than changing your sound card.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #5
This is assuming that your "growl" is the same as my "pop"... if what you're hearing sounds like an actual growling dog (lasting more than a split second), perhaps it's a different issue.

No, it is a lasting sound, and yes, I would say, the sound of a growling dog is not that far away from this sound.

It's the electric circuitry of the sound subsystem of your laptop

So it sounds as if the notebook, respectively this subsystem must be working to produce the sound, but as it seems it must not, when the notebook is shut down and even when it is disconnected to the electricity the sound occurs and is produced by the notebook? Not by the receiver or somewhere else, may be the wire?