Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gibson guitar with Ethernet inside (Read 4430 times) previous topic - next topic

Gibson guitar with Ethernet inside

Gibson is planning to launch a new guitar with an Ethernet connection, making it a good option to replace the analog wire with a digital line. They plan to incorporate this technology (called 'Magic') to amps, speakers, and other guitars.

More info. at EE Times.

Reply #1
OT-question: When you posted this to news submission, did you get an error and tried to post it several times?
I'm asking because I've automatic notification set when someone posts to news submissions. I've got so far over 10 email notifications about this.. don't know what's wrong..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
this is certainly interesting..  i know alot of my guitar friends who would never touch it, but I would at least give it a try.  would certainly make for easier home recording!

Reply #3
Gibson is planning to launch a new guitar with an Ethernet connection, making it a good option to replace the analog wire with a digital line. They plan to incorporate this technology (called 'Magic') to amps, speakers, and other guitars.

Yes..

But what about the future of playing your Les Paul through 6L6G Beam Power Tubes??

See IEEE webpage: [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']The Cool Sound[/span]

Reply #4
Very cool....but I am left wondering why they are using 100Mbit ethernet instead of a more common connection like IEEE 1394a or USB 2.0? Both of those offer more bandwidth (400/480Mbps, respectivly, though I'm not sure you would need anywhere near that much anyway) and are much more common to find on computers than are open ethernet sockets.

Reply #5
Wonder if it does dhcp....   

Reply #6
Very cool....but I am left wondering why they are using 100Mbit ethernet instead of a more common connection like IEEE 1394a or USB 2.0?

Good point.. about the Firewire or USB -- but with Ethernet.. the guitar would have a MAC address and an IP.  A range of commuications and services are then available using TCP/IP.

Reply #7
Nifty. Any specs on the ADCs for this thing yet?

Reply #8
Very cool....but I am left wondering why they are using 100Mbit ethernet instead of a more common connection like IEEE 1394a or USB 2.0? Both of those offer more bandwidth (400/480Mbps, respectivly, though I'm not sure you would need anywhere near that much anyway) and are much more common to find on computers than are open ethernet sockets.

how many wireless adapters for firewire and usb2 do you know of?  Wireless ethernet is the reason.

Reply #9
Wonder if it does dhcp....    :blink:

Let's just hope it doesn't use WINS or NETBIOS  :x

Error XXXX: The amplification device could not be found.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #10
Nifty. Any specs on the ADCs for this thing yet?

Humbucker A/D's .. { chuckle }

Pro Humbucker Pickup

Humbuckers