Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can anyone recommend a quality turntable? (Read 8136 times) previous topic - next topic

Can anyone recommend a quality turntable?

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

A few weeks ago I decided to rip most of my vinyl collection to my computer, however it was only last night after comparing some of my recordings to CD versions of the same album that I realized my turntable was playing slightly fast.  I really know nothing about turntables or trying to repair them, but suffice it to say after my clumsy attempt I'd rather just opt for something not quite as cheap.  I've become somewhat of an audiophile going through all of this, and as I said I'm pretty new to this.  Should I be looking for belt driven or direct drive?  A USB turntable?  Could anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

Reply #1
You're going to want direct-drive over belt-drive for better speed precision.  A decent direct-drive dj turntable is probably your best bet, they should be available in the $150 - 200 US range.

I saw this USB turntable at the store
http://www.numark.com/products/product_vie...rview&n=144
and the concept looks pretty promising, however the product specs omit whether it's direct or belt driven (meaning it's probably belt driven  ).

Reply #2
I would consider a Pro-Ject Debut III Phono. The turntable is available with built-in phono preamp, so can attach it directly to the line in of you soundcard.
Blubb

Reply #4
Technics 1200    little touch of nostalgia
budding I.T professional

Reply #6
Back when I was a teenager I had one of those all-in-one units that had a BSF turntable on top that played fast.  Oh it was so annoying!  Music played a full half step up.  I recall fixing it by using emory paper on the metal post that spun to drive the rubber wheel that spun the turntable. 

So, when I bought my first "real" stereo, I was sure to buy a turntable that had a pitch control on it.  This way I was not at the mercy of how the unit was manufactured.

I'd imagine DJ turntables would have pitch controls on them.  Though the cheap home turntables you see in the shops probably don't.

Reply #7
Hello, I'm new to the forums.

A few weeks ago I decided to rip most of my vinyl collection to my computer, however it was only last night after comparing some of my recordings to CD versions of the same album that I realized my turntable was playing slightly fast.  I really know nothing about turntables or trying to repair them, but suffice it to say after my clumsy attempt I'd rather just opt for something not quite as cheap.  I've become somewhat of an audiophile going through all of this, and as I said I'm pretty new to this.  Should I be looking for belt driven or direct drive?  A USB turntable?  Could anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

Loaded question, depending on what you want, have to spend, and how long you intend to keep it. If you want to save $$, then surf eBay. You often find a much higher quality (A class) turntable, such as Thorens, at the cost of a new mid-end model. Good mids are Technics, Akai, Numark and Garrard. Direct drive only, unless it's a high-end. Good luck!

Reply #8
Thorens always had nice turntables during the 1980s, maybe you can get one from anywhere close to your home at ebay.
The numurk thing looks a bit plastic-like, and you will have to trust the built-in preamp and DAC.

Edit: Zane was faster while I searched ebay for TD-160 and Telefunken S-600 

Reply #9
DJ TTs do have pitch controls. Some of them, in addition to the Technics 1200SL, are probably pretty good. I don't know about the non-DJ direct drive market these days. My 13+ year old quartz PLL Pioneer's specs say the speed error is < 0.002%. I've never been able to hear any problem.

Reply #10
I prefer the belt drive turntable myself.  The belt isolates the needle from motor vibrations.  Many turntables will have a pitch fine tune adjustment.  I would be wary of ebay.  A turntable can be a finicky thing.  It's good if you can take one home and run it through the ropes with the option of returning it.  Cartridge and arm set up are important to sound quality.  A good pre-amp/analog to digital converter will also help out during transfer.  I've made CD's from vinyl that sound better than the store bought CD versions with such a set up.

Reply #11
I'm sure some of the belt drive TTs live up to the claims for belt drive, but the less expensive ones frequently have problems; noise, vibration, and instability are major among them. As referenced in the other thread linked above, performance in noise, vibration, speed variations, reliability, anything else you care to name, are much better on the decent DD tables until you get somewhere above $1000.