Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagz 'special fields' (Read 4966 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagz 'special fields'

Hi,
I'm testing the foobar2000 MediaBridge/Girder plugin. It has a user configurable function to send foobar2000 title formatting variables as NetRemote/Girder variables. It works well with most fields (%Artist% %Album% etc) and also works with some 'special fields' but not with others, for example %ispaused% works but  %playlist_name% does not, and  %length% works but  %playback_time_remaining% does not.
Is there a difference between these fields or something that would explain why some will return a value and others will not?
If i have asked this question in the wrong place please let me know.
Thanks

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #1
If i have asked this question in the wrong place please let me know.
You have asked in the wrong place. Since it is related to a third party plugin that is where it goes.

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #2
Hey Jan S,
Ok... thing is this question does not relate to the 3rd party plug but to foobar2000 itself. If you read past the 1st line of the question you may see that the question is about the difference in the standard foobar2000 variables, i have asked for help on behalf of the plugin developer, so... like... i really cant see an answer coming from this part of the forum.
maybe tech support would be a more appropriate place for this.... or dev, i dont know how you like tings to be done but i would really appreciate an answer on this it would make a big difference.
thanks

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #3
I went through and tested all available variables and came up with this list of fields that are there but i cant use.

%playback_time%
%playlist_number%
%list_index%
%list_total%
%path_raw%
%playlist_name%
%playback_time_remaining%
%playback_time_remaining_seconds%

all other fields listed in the title formatting wiki work just fine.

if anyone knows a reason these fields would not be available to the plugin, or can see a pattern that might help solve the problem, plz help

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #4
file:///C:/Program%20Files/foobar2000/titleformat_help.html#context-specific_fields

Some fields are not available everywhere.

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #5
Hi kjoonlee,

Big thanks for helping with this, your post is very useful.

I got %path_raw% working by asking for it as $extra(path_raw), so that leaves everything on my list being the same as the list you are showing me, with the exception of %playlist_name%. Its kind of ironic that %playlist_name% is not in this help tutorial because thats actually the one im after.

But... at a guess i would say if we can access other playlist specific fields we will also get %playlist_name%.

Do you know what would need to be done inside the plugin to access these context specific fields?

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #6
I know nothing about the internals of foobar2000, but I have a feeling it won't be possible with no cooperation from the core. (That is, I think there's nothing 3rd-party developers can do about it.)

---

Hm.. With 0.8.3, it was possible for 3rd-party developers to create their own tech fields and pseudo-functions. I don't know if something similar would be possible with 0.9.

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #7
Hm.. With 0.8.3, it was possible for 3rd-party developers to create their own tech fields and pseudo-functions. I don't know if something similar would be possible with 0.9.
In 0.8.3, it was possible to provide "extra" fields - accessible via the $extra() function or using the %_name% syntax - but no additional functions. 0.9 has proper hooks for both.

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #9
Hi foosion,

0.9 has proper hooks for both.

So just to confirm... you are saying %playlist_name% can be gathered by the plugin?

Is it possible for you to provide a little guidance? Even a pointer to where to look for info would be great

Thanks

Tagz 'special fields'

Reply #10
Hey Jan S,
Ok... thing is this question does not relate to the 3rd party plug but to foobar2000 itself. If you read past the 1st line of the question you may see that the question is about the difference in the standard foobar2000 variables, i have asked for help on behalf of the plugin developer, so... like... i really cant see an answer coming from this part of the forum.
maybe tech support would be a more appropriate place for this.... or dev, i dont know how you like tings to be done but i would really appreciate an answer on this it would make a big difference.
thanks
Well, since this is about a problem with a specific 3rd party component I think this forum is ok though you are right that this is not as clear cut as I originally thought (far from it). But dev forum as you originally put it in is definitely wrong.