Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Yes: Memory based (Rio 800,NW-S4,Nex II,etc.)
[ 120 ] (11.6%)
Yes: CD based (Iriver,eXpanium, Rio Volt, etc.)
[ 210 ] (20.4%)
Yes: Hard disk based (iPod, etc.)
[ 243 ] (23.6%)
Yes: PocketPC etc. (capable for playing)
[ 25 ] (2.4%)
Yes: Mobile phone based
[ 14 ] (1.4%)
Yes: 2 (or more) different types.
[ 65 ] (6.3%)
No: Waiting for one with Ogg Vorbis support
[ 116 ] (11.3%)
Not yet, But I'm about to get one.
[ 64 ] (6.2%)
No
[ 174 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1197

Topic: Do you have a portable (Read 125239 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you have a portable

Reply #125
Seeing your member number and joining date, one would think you have been here long enough to have seen this.

Compadre, Roberto's 128 kbps test refers to WMA Pro, which is not quite the same as WMA, or is there any hardware player that supports WMA Pro yet?

Do you have a portable

Reply #126
A huevo 
What I implied is that maybe he got confused.
I just wanted him to know that the "good" WMA is not supported by any current portable.

Right know, the best choice in the 128k range seems to be AAC.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Do you have a portable

Reply #127
I have a iRiver 20 GB HDD player which supports OGG.  At q8 the unit holds 180 hours of music and has a battery life in excess of 12 hours.....sorry ipoders...your thing doesn't come close.  If you use LAME VBR the battery only lasts 14 hours...sorry 

Also have a iRiver flash player ifp-395 which is a 512MB player...it too supports ogg...the battery single AA only lasts for 20 hours on playtime...not bad??

Both units sound wondeful...highly recommended

rickshaw
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. Jerry Garcia-Grateful Dead

Do you have a portable

Reply #128
I have the Creative Nomad Jukebox2(10gb) it was a great deal for $161.  It sucks, it can only play mp3,wma and wav.  Can't wait till I get my iRiver iHP.

Do you have a portable

Reply #129
Panasonic MP3-CD discman, their higher end black model from a year ago. Still seems like the best bang for the buck, certainly a better deal than another Sony car CD-changer (I've had two of those things die on me, at around $200/ea..)

Do you have a portable

Reply #130
I have the Panasonic MP3 cd player too and just got an amazing Archos AV 320 Video mp4/mp3 audio player. It is really amazing stuff, the video screen is nearly 4" with an amazing picture. Holds 20g or between 10 and 40 hrs (depending on compression) of video and untold mp3's. A lotta fun 

Do you have a portable

Reply #131
That poll is too old now.

When I voted, years ago, I voted for "Not yet, But I'm about to get one."

Now, I have an Expanium.

Do you have a portable

Reply #132
I have a Palm Tungsten T3, that plays MP3 and Ogg Vorbis, and I'm craving for an iRiver HDD-based player, perhaps some iGP, possibly the H140 or the H340; probably Santa will tell me which one. 

Do you have a portable

Reply #133
I have an old AVC Soul Player, it has been a truly optimal purchase.
Solid and resistant to falls (up to 1.80 meters...  ).
Upgraded with iriver iMP 100 firmware.
Used for more than 2 year, nearly every day for 1-2 hours.

Now, I am waiting for a flash player like the
iriver iFP 700 - 800 series

Do you have a portable

Reply #134
i got a panasonic CD/mp3 player.

it's kinda crappy - definitely not gapless.  it doesn't think about spinning up the CD until the track is finished...

but i got it as a door prize at a conference, so who can complain?  it'll handle lame --aps well enough for me.  i'd like a more powerful headphone amp though - it's always on full volume and still not enough for my more dynamic songs.

Do you have a portable

Reply #135
Now, I have an Expanium.

Hey Roberto, does it play iTunes encoded MP4s?
What about Nero HE-AAC?

Do you have a portable

Reply #136
I have an iRiver iMP-400, and I'm afraid I'm not happy with it. I wish i had bought a regular portable CD player instead.

My iMP-400 is having great difficulties reading my discs (well burned discs. Taiyo Yuden manufactured, burned at a speed i know they work well with in my Asus CD-R/W drive). It will often add distortion to the sound (especially audio CDs, but also mp3 CDs. Not only burned CDs, but also original audio CDs), and sometimes it won't even play all tracks on a disc.

And the fact that it doesn't support gapless playback of lame mp3s, and the ogg vorbis firmware development is taking forever, is also extremely annoying.

Do you have a portable

Reply #137
Now, I have an Expanium.

What about Nero HE-AAC?

When I tested Expanium 411 vs 431 I found that 411 plays .aac but not mp4. 431 plays neither.

Do you have a portable

Reply #138
I've thought about getting a portable player for about 4 years, but everytime I think I'm ready to get one the only one's I see in local stores only support mp3 or mp3/wma, and the cost doesn't calculate to me especially when only seeing two formats supported, plus they wouldn't be able to hold 2000 plus high quality compressed albums.

After having waited so long and still not purchasing due to them not supporting all of the formats I use which is a requirement I've come to the conclusion that the only reason I wanted a portable player in the first place was not to take my music with me, but to plug it into my home stereo. What I plan to do will not envolve additional storage to buy, and no messing with uploading to a device. The plan is to buy some good quality wireless headphones, and/or some good quality wireless speakers and connect them to my PC which does support all the formats I use.

Do you have a portable

Reply #139
What about Nero HE-AAC?

It's an Expanium 211. Doesn't even play AAC

But, aside that, it's a very good player. Plays all MP3 bitrates, batteries last reasonably long, and it's quite solid.

Do you have a portable

Reply #140
I currently own two portables (well, three if you count my laptop): the iRiver IFP-380T recorder/player, and a 15GB 3G iPod. I can't say enough good things about the iRiver, except that I wish I had bought the 1GB version instead 

My iPod, on the other hand, has largely been a dissapointment IMO. I was initially unhappy with its poor battery life, gaps between songs, easily-scratched shiny (and sissy, IMO ) finish, and almost complete lack of bass. Now, I have found that it f*&^s up my --preset insane classical and jazz recordings as well.

Do you have a portable

Reply #141
A refurbished 20GB NOMAD Jukebox 3 which looks very pristine and functions well... for only $170

Works very well with the PlayDock PD200 (it was designed for those jukeboxes  ), good line out sound quality.

And the major plus (for me) is that it uses laptop harddisks, which means I can upgrade to 100GB harddisks when Toshiba lets them out! Now, which other HD players can do this, huh?

Do you have a portable

Reply #142
iRiver H120 hard drive player.  I love this little player so much.  Vorbis support is nice so I can finally abandon mp3.  Musepack support would be great but beggers can't be choosers I guess.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Do you have a portable

Reply #143
I have a 20GB ipod , and one of those sony mp3/atrac3 CD players  (hey, sometimes i need more than ~8 hours of battery  ).

Do you have a portable

Reply #144
1. Creative Jukebox 3 with a 40 GB Harddisk (for long journeys)
2. Iriver IFP-380T  (for short trips, sports)

Both work very well 
FLAC --> MP3 (Lame 3.96.1: V5 --athaa-sensitivity 1)

Do you have a portable

Reply #145
<off topic>
Musepack support would be great but beggers can't be choosers I guess.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231620"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's beggar, not begger. Beggars tended to ask for things, so asking for something came to be known later as begging. Beg comes from beggar, not the other way round.
</off topic>
I think I voted "waiting for a Vorbis portable" previously, but now I am an owner of two portables. One is a phone from LG, which plays my --alt-preset abr files, and the other is a MobiBlu DAH-1200 flash-based player with 128 megs of memory.

Do you have a portable

Reply #146
I had an IPOD 20 GB... I must say that being able to play back AAC is very important to me.. (I was working on an AAC encoder..)

But IPOD seemed to have some conformance problems with MP3..

wkwai

Do you have a portable

Reply #147
But IPOD seemed to have some conformance problems with MP3..

Really? Care to elaborate and/or provide links? As I'm about to buy one for my wife and we have never owned a portable before, I would really like to hear more about this. Especially since everything we have is in MP3 format (more than half a mix of LAME --aps and --ape).

Do you have a portable

Reply #148
<off topic>
Musepack support would be great but beggers can't be choosers I guess.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231620"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's beggar, not begger. Beggars tended to ask for things, so asking for something came to be known later as begging. Beg comes from beggar, not the other way round.
</off topic>

Hmm, interesting.  I never knew that.  I got my daily grammar lesson at HA 

I believe wkwai is talking about the problems iPods tend to have with 320 cbr mp3s.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Do you have a portable

Reply #149
I mean, that if you need recording, then only one is the best -  Neuros