Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Exist a Field with the "TOTAL of TRACKS"? (Read 4388 times) previous topic - next topic

Exist a Field with the "TOTAL of TRACKS"?

Hi:

Thanks for reading.

When I convert files, I see that Foobar added to the "TRACK" field:
1st.- A backslash
2nd.- The total value of the album tracks in question

For example:
TRACK field: "03"
TRACK field after modified by Foobar: "03/23"

And I can not find a field (either type "Extended Fields" or Type "Information Fields") which shows the total for the album tracks, for in this way I can modify it, and so Foobar do not change my field "TRACK", that I would have previously prepared.

Thank you again.

Reply #1
%totaltracks%

Have a nice day!

Edit, PS: You may be interested into reading this Wiki page: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ID3_Tag_Mapping
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #2
Thanks for responding.

The key is found in:

Stored in the same frame with TRACKNUMBER, separated by '/': e.g. '4/9'. Stored in TXXX if TRACKNUMBER doesn't exist.

You have to select those tracks that are the same album, and that if that field appears:
TOTALTRACKS

PD: Foobar2000 is unique because it does not recognize publishers tags like "Mp3tag"

Reply #3
That means that while %tracknumber% and %totaltracks% are two distinct variables inside foobar2000, they are stored within a single ID3v2 tag frame when written, separated by a slash, and of course split into the two variables when read.

In case %tracknumber% is missing but %totaltracks% is present, then %totaltracks% is stored into a "TXXX TOTALTRACKS" Id3v2 frame.

Cheers!
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #4
PD: Foobar2000 is unique because it does not recognize publishers tags like "Mp3tag"

Well... TPUB is definitely the correct place to store it (See: http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0) and Mp3tag 2.53 seems to agree... 
Sergio

Reply #5
Thank you again:

I'll check your link...

Reply #6

Except edit file set (same album), and from only FOOBAR2000... not see any other way. Although it is a standardized field.

And to further complicate, working with CUE files. ... impossible

keep trying ...

Reply #7

Except edit each individual file, I see no other way. Although it is a standardized field.

And to further complicate, working with files. CUE ... impossible

keep trying ...
Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but for INDIVIDUAL files, if you can select a bunch of them, right click, properties, then you can modify the TOTALTRACKS field for all of them at once...

If the "tracks" are part of single file with embedded (or external) cuesheet then you probably are not allowed to alter that value because it will render the cuesheet invalid. After all cuesheets are meant to "take the picture" of an original CD and it wouldn't make much sense to alter the total tracks number of that...

Edit: removed "if" and "probably"

Edit 2: If you substantially alter your posts with your edits, my answers doesn't seems to make much sense either! 
Sergio

Reply #8
Excuse me for editing my post: He wrote his post, while I edited my last post (I corrected "individual files" by "the same set of files album")

The solution proposed, has the problem of only it is valid, if it is working of album to album (one by one). With programs like "Mp3tag" as handled standard fields, if you can work with multiple albums at once. Provided that the the software second (Foobar 2000) recognize this field.

But yes, if you go from album to album .... no problem

Reply #9
Excuse me for editing my post: He wrote his post, while I edited my last post (I corrected "individual files" by "the same set of files album")

The solution proposed, has the problem of only it is valid, if it is working of album to album (one by one). With programs like "Mp3tag" as handled standard fields, if you can work with multiple albums at once. Provided that the the software second (Foobar 2000) recognize this field.

But yes, if you go from album to album .... no problem

Nekab,

I just tried altering the TOTALTRACKS properties of several tracks belonging to different albums comprising a mix of "single track per file" and some belonging to a "single file per album with embedded cuesheet".

There were tracks where the TOTALTRACKS properties was 14, 8, 11 and 17, the last one, 17, being the one of the tracks from the "embedded cuesheet" multi-tracks file.

I selected *all of them* at once and changed  the TOTALTRACKS properties to 1 in a single operation.

Result: all "single track per file" tracks had their TOTALTRACKS properties set to 1.

The tracks within the "single file per album with embedded cuesheet" maintained the original attribute of 17, which is absolutely correct. You can't change that. As a matter of fact I don't think there is a TOTALTRACKS attribute STORED for cuesheet files (embedded or not). The value is derived from a count of the tracks present in the cuesheet.

Now, can you please try to explain what are you trying to do and what is not working for you?

If your scenario is similar to the one I described above and things are not working for you, is it possible that you made any changes to your foobar2000 configuration, especially as far as regards the "Advanced -> Display -> Properties dialog -> Standard fields" configuration?

Regards,

Sergio

Edit: minor typos, added emphasis
Sergio

Reply #10
Completely agree.

The key, those say by you:

"....The tracks within the "single file per album with embedded cuesheet" maintained the original attribute of 17, which is absolutely correct. You can't change that. As a matter of fact I don't think there is a TOTALTRACKS attribute STORED for cuesheet files (embedded or not). The value is derived from a count of the tracks present in the cuesheet."

And precisely because it is a value "calculation" (the result of an internal calculation Foobar itself), causes me some discomfort. Solvable, yes, but the discomfort after all. (The original idea is I can change 3, 5, 7, .... albums at once, with a simple rule en Mp3Tag.... once converted files by Foobar2000)

For example, in the case of working with files. CUE, I have found the solution by forcing the field "TITLE" in that file .CUE, displayed data fields that need to modify for each file. Then, when extract it, with a simple rule in Mp3Tag, to modify incorrect remaining fields.
And in the case of separate files, the solution by you propose.

Thank you again.

Reply #11
I forgot a situation that would be valid "the trick" to go album by album: for example, if you want to perform the conversion on files located on a read-only media (eg DVD).

Reply #12
nekcab,

I still don't understand why in the world one would like to alter the (non existent) TOTALTRACKS properties of a cuesheet based file.
What are you trying to do? Merging two tracks into one? Splitting a track into two? Deleting a track?

Just altering the NUMBER of tracks in a cuesheet doesn't makes any sense.

Merging and/or splitting tracks in a cuesheet CAN be done, by altering the cuesheet itself, if you understand how cuesheets works. You can do that with any text editor if it is an external cuesheet or by altering the CUESHEET tag with mp3tag if it is an embedded cuesheet. This last I'm not sure will work for EVERY kind of compressed file with embedded cuesheet as (if I'm not mistaken) there are CODECS that maintain their internal structures describing the "splitting" of the whole file into different tracks. I'm pretty sure I did it in the past with files compressed by WavPack (the lossless codec I use) but I'm not sure it can be done with others. Anyway there are better solutions to that (see here below, under "Deleting").

Deleting a track is not feasible by simply altering tags and/or cuesheet. The data for that track will always be there, in the single file. In this case, just select the tracks you want to keep and losslessy re-encode them in a new file (you would need to configure "Converter Setup" to "Generate multi-track files").

I hope this will solve your problems, of which I still don't' understand the exact nature as you have failed to state: a) what codec are you using, b) if it is an embedded cuesheet or not, and c) what kind of operation you are trying to perform. If you have difficulties explaining this points in English, send me a PM: beside English I can understand Italian (my mother tongue), French, Spanish and a little bit of German (although I'm not able to answer with that last one...).

Have a nice day.

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #13
In the case of the .CUE files & Foobar, forget what I just said before. It was just an example, but it really is irrelevant.

I would like to focus more is how to avoid the now famous calculation that takes Foobar 2000 to establish the value of the "TRACK" field in the case of separate files.

I recognize that "Foobar 2000" does not always change the "TRACK" field (e.g. if empty on purpose, so if you modify it) And sometimes, respects the value that the user previously assigned (When yes or when not ? ... I have not discovered yet a pattern of action).

And yes, you can change (solo album in album), but the idea is that "Foobar 2000" respects the "TRACK" field always have a value placed on purpose. That's for me, my main headache.

Thanks for your interest in the mysterious case of Foobar and "evil" unspeakable intentions (poor "TRACK" field ... what him have done to "Foobar 2000"?    )

Reply #14
I think I *may* start to understand:
  • You have several files (all of them are single track per file, cuesheets not involved any more, correct?)
  • You select a bunch of them
  • You right click over them and select "Properties"
  • You change the "Track number" value (field is %tracknumber%) of them (so %totaltracks% not involved any more, correct?)
  • You click on "OK"
  • Some files take the modifications you did, some others not

If this is the case, check if you have the rights to modify those files that do not take your modification, that they do not have the Read-only attribute set and of course that they are not on a read-only media...

Sergio
Sergio

Reply #15
These steps can always modify that field.

The intention is not being forced to run. And since that's not possible, the solution by you proposed to me by P.M. of
"right button" - Properties - TOTAL TRACK - "right button" - Remove

is something that looks interesting. And would be working with several albums at once ...

I'll try ....

Thank you very much.

Re: Exist a Field with the "TOTAL of TRACKS"?

Reply #16
So there are 2 ways to store totaltracks in ID3v2 tags: both in TRCK as 3/15 or totaltrack separately in TXXX. I prefer the second way because of consistency with FLAC tags. I use autoplaylistes to find wrong tagged files in the library. Is there a way to find files with a slash in tracknumber? "track HAS /" does not work, of course.

Re: Exist a Field with the "TOTAL of TRACKS"?

Reply #17
tracknumber HAS / doesn't work too?