Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoding time for Speex (Read 5933 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoding time for Speex

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is a way to find out the exact (or close approximation) encoding time of the Speex program? Suggestions are greatly appreciated  . Thank you very much everyone.

By the way I have asked similar question in the R&D area but I do not intend to do any spamming it's just because at first I have 2 questions at hand and one was regarding MP3 and hence I do not think it would be appropriate to post it here straightaway (should have thought of splitting it and post them in their respective forums ... sorry).

tech_noobie

Encoding time for Speex

Reply #1
I'm not familiar with Speex, but if you are talking about a command line Speex encoder like speexenc at Rarewares then I would use a batch file, and just do:

Code: [Select]
@ECHO OFF

ECHO %TIME%

SPEEXENC.EXE myfile.wav myfile.spx

ECHO %TIME%

PAUSE

This will write out the current time, do the encode, and then write out the current time.  By subtracting time 1 from time 2 you can work out the time taken to the nearest centisecond.

Any use?
I'm on a horse.

Encoding time for Speex

Reply #3
That's useful.  Simple and effective.

NB: the first run I did was 3 seconds slower than the subsequent three, which were all around the same time.

I guess this is a memory thing and worth bearing in mind when you do your tests.  Run a number of times, discard the first run, and then take the average.

Edit: NB: to pass a parameter with spaces escape the quotes, e.g.:

TIMETHIS.EXE SPEEXENC.EXE \"death cab for cutie - plans.wav\" plans.spx
I'm on a horse.

Encoding time for Speex

Reply #4
Thank you very much guys for your reply . I will try it ASAP. Sorry for replying so late my internet connection was down yesterday . By the way is it possible to create a simple script that would allow me to automatically store the encoding time of my various samples in a text file. Thanks for your help.

tech_noobie

Encoding time for Speex

Reply #5
TIMETHIS.EXE SPEEXENC.EXE \"death cab for cutie - plans.wav\" plans.spx > file.txt

... should do it.  This will spit the output of timethis.exe  to file.txt instead of the console.

Edit: Using the batch file method it would be:

@ECHO OFF

ECHO %TIME% > file.txt

SPEEXENC.EXE myfile.wav myfile.spx >> file.txt

ECHO %TIME% >> file.txt
I'm on a horse.

Encoding time for Speex

Reply #6
Hi Synthetic Soul and rjamorim,

Thank you very much for your help  . It works ... it works ...  . I batch them using matlab, it went very well last night. Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help. 

tech_noobie