Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #12] Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes? (Read 4472 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #12] Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes?

I sent my DIY power cable to someone, it has worked perfectly for months in my system. He plugged it into his tube amp and the aftermarket fuse blew in his $10,000 amp. He switched to his old power cable and his tubes blew, and another fuse. The fuses and tubes are worth $641, and he wants me to pay for them. Because he hasn't had any problems for 3 years, until switching the power cord to mine.

Is it possible that a power cable can do this?

Reply #1
I sent my DIY power cable to someone, it has worked perfectly for months in my system. He plugged it into his tube amp and the aftermarket fuse blew in his $10,000 amp. He switched to his old power cable and his tubes blew, and another fuse. The fuses and tubes are worth $641, and he wants me to pay for them. Because he hasn't had any problems for 3 years, until switching the power cord to mine.

Is it possible that a power cable can do this?

Tell us about that DIY power cable.

Reply #2
Tell us about that DIY power cable.

I use CE certified AC wiring with color coded conductors and grounding. I wire them into hospital grade AC plugs that have color coded screws. I have protected the conductors inside conduits that are child and pet safe. The goal was to build the safest power cable, and then this incident happened with his amp. It is very saddening. I don't know what to do.

Reply #3
Well, no one can be sure if that guy hasn't messed up with it.
Tell him to send you back the chord for analysis. You will know if he messed up with it.
And I am sorry, your cable blew the fuse, but his cable blew tubes and fuse.
So, something is wrong with his connector in his precious amplifier, or with the wall outlet.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
How much did you sell him your cable for?

Reply #5
What country do you and your friend live in?
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #7

I paid $100 of my own money to send him that cable, because he wanted to review it. He has not paid anything.

Reply #8

I paid $100 of my own money to send him that cable, because he wanted to review it. He has not paid anything.

I guess I'm just a doofus. Review a power cable? Its job is to get power to the unit and is only 6 feet out of MILES of cable. Is someone going to tell me the sound is "more open" or "better defined"? Since this has been discussed to death, I won't push on except to say I'm a non believer. I hope you don't get saddled with a repair bill. I repair broadcast machines for a living and if I had a non standard power cord I'd check it out particularly if the gear was expensive since checking is much easier than troubleshooting.

Reply #9
It wasn't your cable.. Even if you wired it all kinds of crazy, the fuses in his amp are there to protect it from that.. There's only so much you can wire wrong in a cable, and even if you tied one leg to earth ground, at BEST it would pop the fast blow fuse on the amp.  If his amp was damaged by the cable it's because he put improper fuses in the amp, or more likely, his amp already had a problem that just cropped up when he changed the cable..

Unless you know this guy really well, and even if do know him well, this smells like a scam.. You're a few thousand miles away. His amp is probably fine and he's scamming you saying the cable popped it.

Reply #10
For $641 I could probably buy a replacement amplifier that likely performs better than this silly $10,000 tube amp that couldn't adequately protect itself from a "defective" power cord.

Stepping back a bit, what steps were taken to make sure this cord would work properly in the United States?

Reply #11
Unless you know this guy really well, and even if do know him well, this smells like a scam..
And I thought you were referring to scamming your friend with an "audiophile" power cord, silly me.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #12
The way you'll know for sure he's scamming you, which I strongly suspect he is, is when he comes up with a lame excuse for not being willing to send you the blown tubes (so that you can see them for yourself). For example: "I threw them away. What good are they to you?"
---
When adding accessories to an item, it is the owner's responsibility to verify that the accessories fit the electrical requirements of the main product (current demands, for example) and are functional by testing them with a multimeter, to be sure they weren't damaged in shipping. You owe him nothing.

Reply #13
I agree.  You would think a competent reviewer would actually perform electrical measurements on the cable itself before doing anything else with it.