Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Not my release] Biography view (Read 490775 times) previous topic - next topic

[Not my release] Biography view

Reply #525
I got another idea - maybe your biography view panel is set to artist instead album?
You can check by right-clicking on biography panel, and switch by double-clicking on it.

And if you wish you can add command in Artist tab in biography view preferences - it's same as in Album tab but change "review" argument with "bio"

Although missing foo_allmusic.xml doesn't make this scenario very probable.

Reply #526
I already tried that one too and was switching all the time between artist and album.
Is the foo_allmusic.xml necessary to display the reviews/bios? Can I manual create one?

Reply #527
It's created by default to store the data.

If you did as suggested in post 522, you should have foo_allmusic.xml in your %homepath%
Press "Win+R", type cmd, then enter and type at command line:

dir foo*.xml

This should list the file.

If you do this, can you execute this command also:

Code: [Select]
cd %comspec:cmd.exe=% & dir foo*.xml

If it doesn't list anything, then open the script and change line 3: "Cache = 1" to "Cache = 0" and try again.

[edit] I just read that "//U" switch doesn't work on Windows 8, so don't use it and select ANSI, but try also UTF-8 just in case.

Reply #528
Yay! Yes, the .xml file was in %homepath% (C:\Users\x). I moved it to the Foobar's folder and now my biography panel displays bios and reviews on every album.

Thanks a lot, romor.

Reply #529
Strange, but glad it worked for you.

Did "cd %comspec:cmd.exe=% & dir foo*.xml" command list anything?

Reply #530
The following is the output on both commands.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\x>dir foo*.xml
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is AA79-3D0D

Directory of C:\Users\x

24.12.2012  15:47             2.523 foo_allmusic.xml
               1 File(s)          2.523 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  50.210.054.144 bytes free

C:\Users\x>cd %comspec:cmd.exe=% & dir foo*.xml
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is AA79-3D0D

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

File Not Found

C:\Windows\System32>

Reply #531
OK, thanks.
Let's wait and see if some other Windows 8 user will experience problems similar to yours. I can't make sense of it

Reply #532
It seems like the script's caching didn't work for me (or Windows 8) by default although it was set to 1. The script didn't want to display information because it is set to cache the data, but there was no foo_allmusic.xml to save it to. After I found the foo_allmusic.xml and moved it to Foobar's folder, the biography panel showed the information, but it wasn't cached. foo_allmusic.xml didn't get updated. So I set the caching to 0, moved the foo_allmusic.xml to another location to see if the panel would work with out it - and it worked. Then I set the caching back to 1 and moved foo_allmusic.xml back to Foobar's folder and now it gets updated somehow.

Reply #533
Don't know... If for some reason write access is denied that would be reported as error. If foo_allmusic.xml isn't found, then script is instructed to create it, and at the same time return False and query over HTTP and print result in panel. So script won't query over HTTP only if XML file is present and contains wanted data.

Whatever... set cache to 0 and don't worry about it, as I'm not convinced that writing to XML works for you (if that's what you mean with you last sentence)

Reply #534
No, I meant, that writing to XML works now and that I don't know the reason either. I can see the reviews and biographies in the foo_allmusic.xml.

Reply #535
talk.vbs  download

Very simple script that mimics foo_talktome component.
Uses default voice settings (as set in speech control panel applet)

Example:

cscript //nologo talk.vbs "%title%. By %artist%, from %date% release %album%"

Should be add as first source in Album sources, as it doesn't return result so next source item will be executed afterwards.

Reply #536
Hello,
I'am not sure you are still talking about Biography view...
Nevertheless,maybe somebody could gently help me
I have 2 biography panels in my foobar,one for bio and one for cycling artist image
but the max images is only 6 in the prefs even if there is a lot more on lastfm
is it possible to display more than 6 images/photos ?
or with a command line like my other config on Seven,where I use album art panel to cycle images from within the artist folder
or maybe with the allmusic,you are using?
thank you

Reply #537
Hi!
I'm not sure if this has been solved before, but I don't wanna read through 23 pages in case it hasn't been asked.

So, I'm using the biography plugin right now, but only for the pictures, no text, as a background.
I was wondering if it would be possible to pull pictures from somewhere else besides last.fm or Wikipedia, since their pictures are really low-res and it looks really bad when stretched.
Like, using a script or something.

I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to have a function to search google for the artist name with 'Size: large', take the first one and use that one instead?

Reply #538
There is one limited possibility I know of. You can add biography panel with just image support enabled, and in "Biography server preferences" add built in artwork reader in source list. Then in "Display preferences" create file path pattern that points to image file provided by your script.

Reply #539
Today I noticed something strange. I can't see the whole biography.
Only the first few rows is visible, and then message:
''read more about ''artist'' on last.fm''

Something has changed on last.fm page, and causes this.
If you click on biography text, and go to last.fm page, you will see the same text.
But below it has button ''Read more...'' , after click on that you will get a full biography.
I think that's what is causing the problem.
If anyone has a similar problem or solution, let me know...

Reply #540

If you click on biography text, and go to last.fm page, you will see the same text.
But below it has button ''Read more...'' , after click on that you will get a full biography.

same to me; something's changed on last.fm
hope the developer changes the plugin

Reply #541

Same here 

Reply #544
nothing the dev can do about it.

http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Servi...21604/_/2201974

Really nothing that can be done? But let's say you go to the link http://www.last.fm/music/Jennifer+Lopez/+wiki, there you have a full biography. Maybe WSH script can pull this information? Or to change something in foo_uie_biography. I don't believe that it is impossible...

Reply #545
Regarding the biography problem:
Now and then I use the Clementine music Player. And Clementine fetches the full biography from Last.FM  8-/

Reply #546
Well I posted a comment to that last.fm article link, and aside from half a dozen others it doesn't seem to be stirring up much complaint. Perhaps those of us who have last.fm accounts (or would make one) could let last.fm know how we feel?

Reply #547
Well I posted a comment to that last.fm article link, and aside from half a dozen others it doesn't seem to be stirring up much complaint. Perhaps those of us who have last.fm accounts (or would make one) could let last.fm know how we feel?

They don't care how we feel, believe me. They are looking way to make money. someone needs to update plugin...

Reply #548
How would you "update" the plugin if the API doesn't expose the functionality.
Screen-scraping is an excellent way of making the lives of everyone worse.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #549
But let's say you go to the link http://www.last.fm/music/Jennifer+Lopez/+wiki, there you have a full biography.

that's a web page - complete different from the webservices API that this component and my scripts utilise.

it is possible to scrape webpages but it's not something i'd ever waste my time doing. if you go back over this thread, romor has posted some scraping scripts that go over the allmusic site to pull info. take a look at that if you like.

BTW, my WSH panel mod script no longer tries to update if a cached file exists. obviously this is only useful for people who've used my script previously and already have a cache built up. details here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=824713