Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What is your LAME setting of choice to encode MOST of your music

--alt-preset standard
[ 110 ] (74.3%)
--alt-preset fast standard
[ 7 ] (4.7%)
--alt-preset extreme
[ 10 ] (6.8%)
--alt-preset fast extreme
[ 0 ] (0%)
--alt-preset insane
[ 4 ] (2.7%)
--alt-preset <bitrate>
[ 5 ] (3.4%)
--alt-preset cbr <bitrate>
[ 1 ] (0.7%)
--alt-preset medium
[ 5 ] (3.4%)
--r3mix
[ 1 ] (0.7%)
--noneoftheaboveIbuildmyowncommandline
[ 5 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Topic: Your LAME setting of choice (Read 9589 times) previous topic - next topic

Your LAME setting of choice

I'd simply like to know the statistical distribution for the usage of LAME settings.

If you use "-Y", "--lowpass" or "--scale" with one of the above, just vote for the base setting like:
--alt-preset standard -Y      ->      --alt-preset standard

for other additional settings, that influence the preset tuning please choose:
--noneoftheaboveIbuildmyowncommandline

If you decided to go with own settings, please tell us how your special command line looks like . . .

Reply #1
--aps,  but that is only for the rare times i use mp3.  I've moved on to mpc...
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #2

same here.

-andy-

Reply #3

same here.

-andy-

and here 

Reply #4
--apfs -Y, for transcoding from MPC to my portable player.

Reply #5
I moved to flac, but still convert to mp3 for car and portable use.

Reply #6
MPC to Preset fast medium for portable. Otherwise I'd use 3.90.3 APFS  / 3.96 APS

Reply #7
--aps but only in my dvdrip's
normally i use mpc

Reply #8
for those exceedingly rare MP3 that I create for friends it is --alt preset standard with 3.90.3 and the Foobar diskwriter
For 99% of my lossy files now it is MP4, usually in the 40-50 kbps range for my website or 'VBR 6' for cds or anything not website related. Was using MPC and Wavpack briefly.

Reply #9
using preset 102, because i got a tiny flash player (jamaba u100). this is my compromise. i´m using it only on the streets, while driving my bicycle or in the underground, so the little artifacts don´t bother me mucho.
and at this bitrate (only with 3.90.3 i think) lame resamples to 32k so theres less annoying artifacts. tried that with 3.95 and 3.96 and it´s a mess because of HF content an there comes the artifacts...

Reply #10

same here.

-andy-

and here 

same...
She is waiting in the air

Reply #11
When not using Ogg or MPC I have a tendency to veer towards -apm for general listening. I find that the bitrate for -aps is overkill, unless we're talking archiving.

Reply #12

same here.

-andy-

and here 

same...

Wow it seems like I'm part of a crowd . . . finally accepted .

On a side note would the people who voted "--noneoftheaboveIbuildmyowncommandline" please reveal yourselves, your settings and your justification.  I am very interested as to why you would use other settings.

edit: typo
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #13
depends on my mood 

sometimes it's "wow Dibrom looks pretty cool and the VBR bitrate distribution graphs are neat hi-tech", then the other day "ah scrap it, the bit reserviour will do it's job just fine and a CBR file never causes any trouble anywhere"

so I end up 50/50 with ap-s and ap cbr 192 files in my database. not that it would make any difference in the end (to me)

Reply #14
When I use MP3 (for friends), I use --alt-preset standard with either 3.90.3 or latest stable.