Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ERROR: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by  (Read 16596 times) previous topic - next topic

ERROR: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by

Ref:  XP Pro (SP3) MCE 2005 & Bittorrent 7.2.1

When DL'ing I sometimes get the following error msg:

ERROR: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

"The process"?  Is that MY bittorrent or the Distant End(s) torrent program?

"the file"?  Is "the file" the torrent file on my computer, or the Distant End computer(s)?

"it"?  Is "it" the torrent file on my computer or the Distant End torrent program? 

What process can stop a torrent DL?

MLStrand56
[color="#FF0000"]"Life begins @ 150mph"[/color]

Reply #1
The problem is on your end. Some process ( program / service / etc. ) is interfering with bittorrent's ability to access or control the file.

See if this helps -

http://www2.bittorrent.com/btusers/help/fa...are-client#1n69
or
http://www.google.com/search?&q=ERROR:...t+is+being+used

If you can't figure out the specific cause on your own, I suggest posting your problem on your bittorrent client's forum (or maybe even >here<) or a general computer help forum, where more willing people can review a HijackThis log or some similar type of report about the running processes on your computer.

Reply #2
This application lets you see which process uses any particular file, and also allows to forcibly unlock it.

It's probably most often because Explorer tries to read (for metadata) audio, video, or generally any larger files... and stalls on an incomplete (essentially "corrupted" at this point) file.

You might go through this thread on some slower day, it's full of useful tools (including Unlocker)

Reply #3
I have the same message when I try to watch the file that is partially downloaded (one movie oou of several in the pack, for example)... Find out what app is using the files you are trying to download and shut them down.