Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can i PREFER ID3v2 to ID3v1 ?! (Read 2844 times) previous topic - next topic

How can i PREFER ID3v2 to ID3v1 ?!

Got mp3 with Jap tags ID3v1 and ID3v2, ID3v1 unreadable but fb2k PREFER THEM. 

How can i prefer ID3v2 tag, without updating file *important!* ?!

Already spent 2 hours but can't find the answer

Reply #1
Foobar2000 Preferences > Advanced > Expand Tagging > Expand MP3
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
That's for tag writing. I think the problem here is with foobar2000 preferring ID3v1 tag values over ID3v2 when reading, which usually only happens on longer values, not equal or lesser length. Although, technically, it should probably prefer ID3v2 outright.

Reply #3
Any idea how to fix this?

Reply #4
In foobar2000, Select the affected files, right-click, goto 'tagging' -> 'mp3 tag types..." Untick id3v1.

Edit: Just to make sure you know, this method will remove the id3v1 tags. So make sure that any files you do modify have either id3v2 or ape selected so you don't completely lose your tags!
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Reply #5
I think any solution will involve removing the ID3 tags.
Another solution is to open the properties for the mp3, select all and copy (do for multiple mp3s at once if you like).
Then right-click on the track(s), select Tagging -> Remove tags from files. This will remove all tags including, of course, the corrupted/useless id3v1 tags.
Then edit the properties and paste back in your copied tags. This will write in your preferred tagging format - which you will have set via one of the suggestions above

Reply #7
It's free. Stop complaining, and fix your "crappy" tags, then the problem will go away.

Reply #8
rly?

AIMP free too, but has no any problem with it, and that angry me even more cause i love foobar

Reply #9
What other applications do confers no obligation upon foobar2000. In any case, if you have a feature request (i.e. a suggested alteration to an intended behaviour), you are not helping your chances of being considered by phrasing your opinion in such an offhand and rude way, rather than filing your request formally and in a polite manner.

Which could be a shame, because an option to prefer a certain type of tag always (not only when it is larger) or at least to consistently prefer v2 (as kode54 says should occur) is a fair idea.

Reply #10
Preferring the longest tag values when tags do not match is a feature, not a bug. It keeps regular users from having to deal with truncated tag values.

In cases where you are storing latin tags in one tag type and kanji tags in another, the solution is to STOP DOING THAT. That is simply not what the different tag types are designed to do, and using them as such is poor practice. You could easily store your Latin based fields in user defined id3v2 fields named artist_LN, album_LN, title_LN so on and so forth.
elevatorladylevitateme