Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_effect (Read 249162 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #100
When i listen to music of any kind, the bass or bass kick will hit, but then the volume suddenly drops..... then turns back up...... i dont know why its doing this, but its bugging me so much... Could you please help? I just want my music to sound normal with no sudden volume drops.
Rather than a “major problem”, that simply suggests that its dynamics compressor is on; check whether this is the case and turn it off, if so.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #101
Hi mudlord,
for the sake of SACD conversion inside of foobar I'm looking for a cut-off filter that suppresses everything above 40khz. Do you think the existing hi-shelf filter could be expanded that way or would you be willing to add a dedicated hi-frequency noise filter for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #102
Hi mudlord,
for the sake of SACD conversion inside of foobar I'm looking for a cut-off filter that suppresses everything above 40khz. Do you think the existing hi-shelf filter could be expanded that way or would you be willing to add a dedicated hi-frequency noise filter for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Shouldn't using a good re-sampler like SOX inherently apply what you a looking for?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #103
Shouldn't using a good re-sampler like SOX inherently apply what you a looking for?

I'm no expert, but a look at the spectrum showed me that SoX had alleviated the problem somewhat, but not remedied it. There is still a high frequency "cloud" on top of the spectrum after conversion, beginning between 35-40khz all the way upwards. Eliminating that useless (and not audible) information would give a better compression ratio in FLAC.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #104
[..] suppresses everything above 40khz.

Resampling to 48 kHz (or 44.1 kHz) surely would.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #106
I suppose the low pass filter doesn't go high enough for that?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #107
I suppose the low pass filter doesn't go high enough for that?

No, the upper limit is 20khz, as is the case with practically all VST filters I quickly checked at the usual free resources today.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #108
What do you want the upper limit to be (what would be most useful to you)?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #110
Mudlord, i've a two questions or feature requests. I couldn't imagine implementation difficulty for this, but it'd be fine if possible. All is inspired by Room designer of TB Isone VST plugin.
Firstly, i mean a virtual speaker distance simulation, a "simple" distance from the sound source. The problem is, with the current config options in Reverb effect i couldn't get a sound i want, mainly because of quite prominent post-echo, that can't be eliminated with damping or anything else, therefore i stopped using Reverb. I meant using of this feature together with headphones listening. BS2B is IMHO superb component by design (btw. pity it hasn't its place in FB2K component page, it is worth it), but it doesn't solve this. I'm not sure, if in principle, this feature shouldn't be made within BS2B itself, but maybe it is ok if done "standalone". My idea was it would be implemented in Reverb as an option. With that "i couldn't imagine" i meant, i don't know how is such effect achieved if done correctly (combination of phase shift, change in frequency spectrum, etc. ...)
The second request is related to room simulation capabilities in Reverb. As i wrote, there is a problem with minimizing post-echo. Room designer in TB Isone doesn't have dry/wet mix and room width config option, instead it implements reverb time (T60) together with room size and early reflections with diffusion and level, All these five options together with distance simulate final room effect, which is very natural.
Take these requests please, only as a possible ideas for a future, i think it is worth the effort.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #111
Adding stuff like diffusion levels with air/room HPFC/LPFC (like most commercial reverbs), etc will take a fair bit of work to do.
Not sure if I will put it on the todo list, as to me with echo + reverb DSPs I kinda like the effect.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #112
Ok, i understand. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #113
Sandrine: try 0.9.2

was going to add the new resampler in this, but will do that in 0.10 when its more stable.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #114
Sandrine: try 0.9.2

was going to add the new resampler in this, but will do that in 0.10 when its more stable.

The low pass filter works reasonably well, thanks. Is there a hard cut-off filter in there as well? I don't recognize some of the filter names.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #115
Thats actually a good idea for the next version: A dynamic label describing each filter.

edit: Case did some testing with the Speex resampler I implemented in for the new version:
Code: [Select]
Resampling 44100 Hz WAV (total length: 49:16.320) to 11025 Hz

PPHS (Normal): 942.989x realtime
PPHS (Ultra): 178.291x realtime
SoX (Normal): 920.140x realtime
SoX (Best): 710.291x realtime
Speex (Q0): 1037.345x realtime
Speex (Q3 - VoIP): 540.334x realtime
Speex (Q4 - Default): 444.844x realtime
Speex (Q5 - Desktop): 381.972x realtime
Speex (Q10): 74.390x realtime

Not sure if I should just keep the resampler as a seperate component or keep it in foo_dsp_effect for 0.10. Still, choice is good I suppose....

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #116
What would be the possibility of seperating the various DSP's so I can pick and choose the ones I want to incorperate into foobar2000.  I only really use the "dynamics compressor" and sometimes the "reverb" or "echo".  It is probably from a "neat freak" disorder that hate to see DSP's I will never use crowding DSP Manager.    Anyway, I would appreciate it if you recompiled them seperately.  I would even appreciate it if you just recompiled the "compressor" as a stand-alone DSP.

Thanks
ShoNuff

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #117
...then there will be no point to this component at all.

You are suggesting, that I rewrite everything as standalone components?

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #118
Not sure if I should just keep the resampler as a seperate component or keep it in foo_dsp_effect for 0.10. Still, choice is good I suppose....

If you're looking for opinions ... to me resampling is not an effect (but a conversion) though I can see the relation to the filter section in foo_dsp_effect.
FWIW in my view: separate resampler plugin(s). Choice is good (for now I'm happy with the SOX based resampler). Anyway, feel free to implement anyway you like.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #119
What would be the possibility of seperating the various DSP's so I can pick and choose the ones I want to incorperate into foobar2000.

Everything's possible but it doesn't make much sense. They only questionable gain is that if you used a single effect only you'd probably save some 20 kB of memory  ... in every other case I only see disadvantages.
"I hear it when I see it."

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #120

If you're looking for opinions ... to me resampling is not an effect (but a conversion) though I can see the relation to the filter section in foo_dsp_effect.
FWIW in my view: separate resampler plugin(s). Choice is good (for now I'm happy with the SOX based resampler). Anyway, feel free to implement anyway you like.

Agreed. the resampler can go in a seperate DSP.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #121
What would be the possibility of seperating the various DSP's so I can pick and choose the ones I want to incorperate into foobar2000.

Everything's possible but it doesn't make much sense. They only questionable gain is that if you used a single effect only you'd probably save some 20 kB of memory  ... in every other case I only see disadvantages.

Yeh, you get about 90kb already allocated (MSVC runtimes and whatnot), plus a few KB for resources, and then the rest for your code. Doesn't make much sense to split all the sub DSPs, since they would take more space than the one DSP.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #122
Could you add a DC blocking filter like this please:

Code: [Select]
private n = 0;

inline filter(x) {
m = x + 0.999 * n;
y = m - n;
n = m;
return y;
}

0.999 could me made an adjustable parameter.
"I hear it when I see it."

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #123
Sure.

foo_dsp_effect

Reply #124
Hi, im new to the foobar2000 and i installed the foo_dsp_effect.dll, but i dont know how to use it! It appears on the component list but i dont see anywhere a place where i can turn on/off the effects. Can anybody help me with this?