Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Foobar Logo (Read 83938 times) previous topic - next topic

New Foobar Logo

Here is a quick and simple re-design of foobar's logo for Peter Pawlowski's consideration. If interested, Contact me and I can provide the original PDF, no strings attached. Cheers.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #1
Wow, that's actually quite nice. The only thing I would suggest is that the ears are a little too tall. I think they should be shortened a bit. Not lengthening the face, mind you, but shortening the ears, such that the whole shape becomes more square.

I wouldn't mind having a copy just to make icons with for personal use.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #2
Wow, that's actually quite nice. The only thing I would suggest is that the ears are a little too tall. I think they should be shortened a bit. Not lengthening the face, mind you, but shortening the ears, such that the whole shape becomes more square.

I wouldn't mind having a copy just to make icons with for personal use.

Funny, was thinking the same and was already in the process of modification. The revised version does look better in my opinion. I entered another with a slightly tighter frame.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #3
Wow, that actually looks pretty awesome. The middle one with the shortened ears, and more round head is the one I perfer. Good job .
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

New Foobar Logo

Reply #5
Indeed, the middle one is excellent. The only other thing I might do is move the eyes and mouth up a bit (maybe just the eyes) because the forehead seems a bit large. Not a big deal though.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #6

Here it is. Took the middle one and made the eyes slightly larger and the frame just a tad tighter so that the forehead appears better proportioned. Heres hoping that it actually gets adopted into the next update. Also, I always thought the little detail was a nose, not a mouth.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #7
Thats pretty cool. Could we get some .png or .ico action?
I love π

New Foobar Logo

Reply #8
Can anyone here reproduce the current icons foobar has using this logo? I would do it myself, but I am already knee deep in other projects. I just made this logo because it was a quick deal. I would appreciate a copy, of coarse.

Anyways, let me know via PM, give me your e-mail and I will provide the PNG.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #9
Meh, I don't think it would scale well I don't like the line edges, the eyes look weird. Nice try though!
hi

New Foobar Logo

Reply #10
Sorry when I first saw this I must think of BATMAN because of the ears. the head looks a bit like the head of a bat in my opinion.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #11
I agree with the Batman likeness, but is that a bad thing? What exactly does a foobar look like or supposed to look like?
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

New Foobar Logo

Reply #12
Meh, I don't think it would scale well I don't like the line edges, the eyes look weird. Nice try though!

We wont know if it scales well unless someone actually tries.

Sorry when I first saw this I must think of BATMAN because of the ears. the head looks a bit like the head of a bat in my opinion.

Will everything with pointy ears forever allude to the batman? Here is a sketch I made, compare for yourself.

Taking the criticism (albeit not in the bit least constructive) into consideration I decided to redesign further, assuming that the changes I made were those my critics were alluding to, I think you will be pleased with the results, I know I am.

Also, I realize I can't please everyone, but I can at least try to accommodate. So from now on, if anyone has any input be sure its constructive so that I can work with it. Just take a look at Emon's posts, for examples of good constructive criticism. Anyways, here is the latest result. Enjoy.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #13

Thoughts?

New Foobar Logo

Reply #15
Good stuff. But the 32x32 below is too smoothed, the small icons need a cleaner/sharper design. They're imporatnt, because I really don't use monster icons even in vista.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #16
Good stuff. But the 32x32 below is too smoothed, the small icons need a cleaner/sharper design. They're imporatnt, because I really don't use monster icons even in vista.

I agree, I believe the design should not be outlined. The outline may look good with bigger designs, but it becomes too complex when scaled down. That goes for the word MP3 as well.

I am almost positive this will take care of the problem.

Another note, the Icon should try to take up as much space as it can in the icon box, this will also help.

Excellent work!

New Foobar Logo

Reply #17
I prefer the current logo of foobar over your new layouts.

But as long as you offer them on a plugin-basis I have no problems with that ;-)

New Foobar Logo

Reply #18
I think it wouldn't hurt to try some other new icons, eejadx made some really nice tango style ones. I like to new ones that come standard as well, and I like the look of this new one as well. If you're allowed too, i would keep on working on them. Foobar does support alot of codecs. Probably take sometime making all those  Anyway, nice work (Keikonium, and Luceo D'Martis)

New Foobar Logo

Reply #19
I have about 20 or so icons made... and I have a couple .ico's made for personal use (and testing). Once I perfect the design, with permission, I could release them.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #20
Great news, and hope to hear the A.OK. to release them with permission.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #21
One advantage, which is noticable with this design though, is that the cat-head scales better to lower sizes, simply because it is wider than the official one. So even if the decisionmakers of the official design do not like this one, they may take this advantage as an inspiration on how to make the official logo scale better at small sizes.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #22
Even if this does not become the official icon, i would still like to see this followed through like others have done in the past. You can use them at will.

New Foobar Logo

Reply #23
-------------

New Foobar Logo

Reply #24
Moderation: I've removed some useless posts (and equally useless replies). Please respect the original posters wish for constructive feedback. If you want to talk about which set of icons you like best (official ones, these ones, or others) please create a new thread or poll specifically for this purpose.