Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cheap yet decent preamp (GUITAR to PC) (Read 2683 times) previous topic - next topic

Cheap yet decent preamp (GUITAR to PC)

Hi,

I agree that directly connecting electric guitars to line-ins is not the best way to go. While I've been surprised by the quality I've managed to achieve, usually after processing with plugins, I can tell that it's nowhere near optimal.

So, until my Line 6 TonePort arrives, I'm considering buying a cheap preamp which, despite the relatively low price, could still offer decent sound quality and the proper signal boost from my guitar to my soundcard (Live! 24-bit, getting replaced by the TonePort soon).

I would appreciate your suggestions and advice regarding buying such an item. Thanks very much!

Reply #1
Judging by the reputation, this would be a good candidate:

Tube MP - The Original

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on that particular model? I might consider others from the Tube MP series too.

Of course, further suggestions and advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply #2
Just get a DI box if you do effects in post.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #3
I would appreciate your suggestions and advice regarding buying such an item. Thanks very much!

I would look into the M-Audio Fast Track USB. It's easy to setup and going with, plus it has a solid reputation. I was impressed with it the two times that I did use it in the past. It depends on what your price and style is though. 
budding I.T professional