6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How To Use Mp3 Gain ?, 3 guides - normalization - maximizing
karenchu
post Jul 2 2011, 10:46
Post #126

Group: Members
Member No.: 91993

sorry for bumping but still, can anyone show me the path to "Each Folder Is Album" option?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Typhoon859
post Oct 6 2011, 07:56
Post #127

Member No.: 86635

Whether it's with MP3Gain or by scanning first through something else, how can I apply Album Gain by tags (not folder) the way there is an option for in Foobar2000 for instance? Help would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Typhoon859
post Oct 6 2011, 09:00
Post #128

QUOTE (Typhoon859 @ Oct 6 2011, 01:56) *
Whether it's with MP3Gain or by scanning first through something else, how can I apply Album Gain by tags (not folder) the way there is an option for in Foobar2000 for instance? Help would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

After using Foobar2000 to apply ReplayGain, I right-click all the selected MP3 files, go to "Tagging", "MP3 Tag Types", and select APE to be enabled. Then MP3Gain reads the data from there.
+Quote Post
Typhoon859
post Aug 1 2012, 21:44
Post #129

QUOTE (karenchu @ Jul 2 2011, 05:46) *
sorry for bumping but still, can anyone show me the path to "Each Folder Is Album" option?

That.

Does the newest version not have that function any more?
+Quote Post
thebearnecessiti...
post Dec 20 2012, 16:58
Post #130

Member No.: 105299

brand new user, total noob.

I noticed a couple of my mp3's sounded too quiet, so i want to get them all sounding the same.

can i install mp3gain, set the option "dont clip", add the my music folder, and click on album gain?

and that's it? will that make all my mp3's sound more at the same volume level?

edit: for people asking about "each album is folder" option, i read further back in tyhis thread that that option is not longer in the software and it allows you to simply add your top level folder eg "my music" and each subfolder is treated like an individual album.

i did notice an "add subfolders" option so might be worth making sure that is ticked.

This post has been edited by thebearnecessities: Dec 20 2012, 17:01
+Quote Post
greynol
post Dec 20 2012, 17:58
Post #131

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (thebearnecessities @ Dec 20 2012, 07:58) *
I noticed a couple of my mp3's sounded too quiet, so i want to get them all sounding the same.

It really depends on what genre and its respective mastering, but in general loud tracks are adjusted downward. If it turns out that you listen to genres where tracks typically get adjusted upward, you may want to consider lowering the reference level. This is more likely to be the case if you listen to classical music and some forms of jazz where the reference level of 89dB doesn't provide enough headroom for dynamic parts.

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
thebearnecessiti...
post Dec 20 2012, 18:49
Post #132

Member No.: 105299

thanks geynol for taking the time to post.

I'm a bit confused by all this and cant get my head round it. is the principle that each mp3 has a vlume setting within it and the mp3gain software tries t make them all about the same?

I mostly have rock, pop, indie, blue in my collection of about 300 albums.

I just noticed that one of the bon jovi tracks was very quiet so i decided to put my entire collection through the software so stop me having to do it every time i notice a track is a bit quiet.

so now it seems that i am likely to find all my music is a bit quieter?

the software is just over halfway though but i think its still doing album analysis so maybe i should just cancel?

This post has been edited by thebearnecessities: Dec 20 2012, 18:50
+Quote Post
greynol
post Dec 20 2012, 19:18
Post #133

I'd let it finish. From what you've said I don't think you're going to run into any problems.

Since you've also instructed the program not to allow clipping you won't need to worry about your chosen reference level except that some albums might still be louder than quiet ones which were not made louder because doing so would result in clipping. The higher you set the reference level, the more likely this is to happen.

This post has been edited by greynol: Dec 20 2012, 19:21

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Dec 20 2012, 21:37
Post #134

Member No.: 46454

so now it seems that i am likely to find all my music is a bit quieter?
Right! Much of your loud music (maybe most of your music) will be somewhat quieter... Hopefully, you can get enough volume from the analog-side of things.

Let's say you have a quiet song and a loud song. The quiet song might have a few peaks near 0dBFS* (basically the "digital maximum"), but these short-duration peaks don't make it sound loud.

Now, if you want to adjust the loud & quiet songs for the same loudness, you can't increase the quiet song without clipping/distortion. So, you have to decrease the loud-sounding song.

MP3gain isn't trying to match all of your files to each other (or you'd have to re-scan everything every time you added a song). It's trying to match a target dB level. A higher target gain will make your songs louder, but it doesn't give MP3gain much "room to work", and many of your tracks won't be changed unless you allow clipping.

* Just to keep things confusing... 0 dBFS uses is a different reference than the +89dB SPL used for MP3gain. But they are related, and for example a +3dB change in the digital file is also a +3dB increase in sound level (SPL), etc.
+Quote Post
greynol
post Dec 20 2012, 21:42
Post #135

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Dec 20 2012, 12:37) *
A higher target gain will make your songs louder, but it doesn't give MP3gain much "room to work", and many of your tracks won't be changed unless you allow clipping.

I'm pretty sure they are still changed, but just up to the point before clipping will occur.

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
user512Harry
post Mar 28 2014, 14:41
Post #136

Member No.: 115207

New User here, but not totally out of it.
I am really not wanting to lose my marbles on this, but it seems that "Clipping" the music adds noise, or does it remove part of the sound at the clipping points in the song that gets clipped? If that is what happens, then wouldn't it be better to analyze the tracks, then normalize those tracks the do NOT get clipped at your chosen db level, not allowing those that get clipped to be normalized(sort out the non clipped) then reduce or raise the db and then only normalizing the songs that don't get clipped again?
Although that seems to be more work, I would rather have the songs closer to a steady volume that to have the music clipped or distorted. I hate music I love to be damaged by bad ripping or poor sound control.
Just asking for some information. I know this hasn't been looked at now in almost 2 years.
Harry
+Quote Post
lithopsian
post Mar 28 2014, 15:17
Post #137

Member No.: 114718

Clipping simply truncates the volume at any point where it exceeds a digital threshold (you can think of it as 1, or 100%). That truncation distorts the sound so you can consider it as noise if you like. It isn't pleasant to hear in any case.

However, the amount of clipping that occurs could be anything from a single sample (a few microseconds) of sound to every drum beat. In the first case, you simply won't be able to detect it. The second case you will want to reduce the volume of the whole track to get rid of 99% of the clipping. Removing 100% of clipping is unnecessary, although in practice, removing 99% of it means removing 100% of it.

You could attempt to find a reference level that allows all your tracks to be played without clipping, then find a gain that brings all tracks to that level. The more common approach of picking a level, applying the gain, then adjusting clipping tracks afterwards is more common, but it does mean that those tracks that would have clipped are then played more quietly than the level you picked. However, given the preamp gains that could be applied before the music is tested for clipping, this is the only practical solution. If you want to go at it the other way, just bear in mind that it will all break if you apply a preamp. Also, adding a single new track to your ripped collection could break everything by exceeding the threshold you picked.

A practical solution in almost every case is to apply a gain to normalise all your tracks (or albums) and not to adjust for clipping. Usually it will be OK and you won't be able to detect anything audible from the tiny amount of clipping that occurs. Only if clipping becomes an audible issue will you need to go further. Simply allowing adjusting of clipped tracks may be sufficient to avoid the clipping without causing too much volume change. Only in extreme situations should you need to go further.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 21:31