Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help appreciated (TIA): .ogg file crashes my player (Read 5240 times) previous topic - next topic

Help appreciated (TIA): .ogg file crashes my player

Hi there,

Help with the following is much appreciated. I've bought myself a new Vibez (by Trekstor) and one of my .ogg files (ripped off the original CD!) makes my portable player crash. All other .oggs (same album) play fine. Funny thing is, that one particular file plays fine on a Cowon and on all possible media players on my computers (both under Windows and Linux).

I asked Trekstore about this and they sent me this reply:

---------------------------

Dear Mr. ;-)

thank you for requesting information from your TrekStor Service Team.

The problem is that OGG is an open source project so these files are dealt with variably. This means that it is possible to reprogram OGG at a computer rather than to change the player's hardware. Thus we can only guarantee you that the playback of OGG files has been correct when this format was published. The changes that took place in the meantime will be realised in later firmware versions, if this will be possible.

We know that you as customer have the choice and we thank you for having decided for TrekStor.

Kind regards,

Wenzel Imhäuser
TrekStor Service Team

Please enclose the complete correspondence because we handle the e-mails team-wise.

TrekStor GmbH & Co. KG
Kastanienallee 8-10
D-64653 Lorsch
Hotline: +49431-24894571
E-Mail: support.uk@TrekStor.de
Internet: http://www.TrekStor.de

TrekStor GmbH & Co. KG
Lorsch, Germany
AG Bensheim (HRA 23447)

personally responsible partner:
TrekStor Vertriebs-GmbH
Lorsch, Germany
AG Bensheim (HRB 25701)

managing director: Daniel Szmigiel, Shimon Szmigiel

*/  MY INITIAL E-MAIL /*

Regards product - vibez
If yes, please select the operating system: - Microsoft? Windows
Error message -
Description of the error* - My Vibez 12GB player hangs/crashes when I play 1 particular ogg file. The file is ripped from an original CD (which I own, but don\'t have at hand at the moment). That very same ogg file plays wonderfully well on a Cowon player, as well as on my PC (using several different music players). I can send you the file in question if you like.

Somehow, my gut tells me their response isn't up to scratch, but I'm incapable of putting the finger on the sore spots.... Like I said, help is much appreciated in answering their e-mail.

Thanks a lot!

Reply #1
I think their implementation is at fault. most iRiver's Ogg Vorbis implementations only support certain bitrates. If your file does not complain with these set bitrates, the player crashes. Try encoding the same album with different -Q settings to see which one of those work.

Reply #2
I think their implementation is at fault. most iRiver's Ogg Vorbis implementations only support certain bitrates. If your file does not complain with these set bitrates, the player crashes. Try encoding the same album with different -Q settings to see which one of those work.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a whirl.

Reply #3
Of course Trekstor's response doesn't make sense. The format hasn't changed, no matter how open sourced it is.

Even if this was the case the player firmware should detect something is strange and should never ever crash. To be fair the Vorbis specification, however, is pretty complex and has some features that have since fallen out of use (e.g. floor 0).

Their implementation most likely is just undertested - which wouldn't surprise me. My Maxfield Max Diamond player e.g. crashes on ffmpeg Vorbis files to a point where it won't even reboot (thankfully they swapped the unit with a new one without any problems).

I guess my next DAP will be using the Rockbox firmware - that should have a more or less stable implementation of the "geek formats" (in case of Vorbis I guess they're using plain vanilla Tremor instead of a butchered thingie).

Reply #5
Hi,
It seems like the reason the DAP crashes, however odd it may sound, is actually the reason the trekstor support gave me: ogg files encoded without an end signal freezes the player.
Can you check your bad file with ogginfo and see if the output contains this line (and the good ones for the lack of the line):
Code: [Select]

Warning: EOS not set on stream 1

Rio and AndyMutz suggested that EOS is an abbreviation for End Of Stream/Song, fitting pretty well with the reply I got from trekstor's support. On the other hand, they also said that this was a problem on all DAPs (but not on PCs for some unknown reason), and that's wrong, since it works fine on you Cowan player.

hjalmar

Reply #6
Hi,
It seems like the reason the DAP crashes, however odd it may sound, is actually the reason the trekstor support gave me: ogg files encoded without an end signal freezes the player.
Can you check your bad file with ogginfo and see if the output contains this line (and the good ones for the lack of the line):
Code: [Select]

Warning: EOS not set on stream 1

Rio and AndyMutz suggested that EOS is an abbreviation for End Of Stream/Song, fitting pretty well with the reply I got from trekstor's support. On the other hand, they also said that this was a problem on all DAPs (but not on PCs for some unknown reason), and that's wrong, since it works fine on you Cowan player.

hjalmar

Indeed, I do get the EOS warning. However, all tracks from this album (and all .ogg files from other albums) show the same warning, but they all (although I haven't checked all of them....) play fine. It's just this wretched file that makes my Vibez go zonks.

It's not a big thing (I have transcoded the file to mp3), but what I'd hoped for was a bit of positive attitude from the manufacturer. What's wrong with saying thanks for the feedback, we'll investigate and hopefully we'll be able to improve blablabla....

I'm just getting sick and tired of all these manufacturers' negative attitudes and inattentiveness. But this seems to be a rather persistent and growing phenomenon throughout "civilization". A lot of people seem to not give a flying toss any longer. It's almost as if everyone feels they're with their backs against the wall.

But hey, not everyone is like that  --thanks for all the feedback!!!