Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Musepack SV8 Final (Read 56191 times) previous topic - next topic

Musepack SV8 Final

A direct copy&paste from Shy's post on the Musepack forum:

Musepack SV8 has been finalized and the first stable release is out. The new stream version offers many improvements over SV7, to users and application developers alike.

Changes:

- Container-independent format. An SV8 MPC is a container file for a Musepack stream. Raw stream encoding is possible.
- Packetized stream allows muxing into audio and video containers (e.g. MKA, MKV, NUT)
- Sample-accurate, fast seeking independent of file length
- Sample-accurate cutting
- Chapters
- No internal clipping. --noxlevel flag removed, not needed anymore
- Bitstream compressed by highly optimized canonical huffman tables - 2% smaller files and faster decoding
- Streamable
- Cleaned up and rearranged code - libmpcdec, libmpcenc, libmpcpsy

Package contents:

mpcenc - Musepack SV8 encoder. Accepts WAV and lossless source files.
mpcdec - Musepack SV8 decoder. Decodes MPC to WAV or checks for stream errors.
mpcgain - ReplayGain calculator using our new ReplayGain library.
mpcchap - SV8 chapter editor, for embedding chapters into MPC files using info in chapterfile.ini or cue files.
mpccut - SV8 stream cutter, for losslessly cutting stream segments based on selected start/end samples.
mpc2sv8 1.0.0 - Musepack SV7 to SV8 converter. Losslessly converts MPC files encoded by an SV7 encoder.

SV8 specification

Special thanks to:

Nicolas Botti, the main person behind SV8 development, for a massive amount of work during a period of several years.
Peter Pawlowski, for important performance and stability related contributions.
grimmel, for SVN and Trac maintenance and hosting.
Genju, for non-stop binary compilations, testing and support.
Igor Janos / MONOGRAM, for SV8 DirectShow decoder and splitter development, and support.
Andree Buschmann, for code optimizations through his Rockbox efforts,
and everyone who contributed patches, offered advice and helped make the format stable and robust.

Download:

Windows package
Linux package
Source code

Windows users can use the latest foobar2000 which already fully supports SV8's features.

While SV8 outperforms SV7, it's not yet as widely supported, as it is newly released. If you have SV7 files, make sure your application/s supports the new version before converting to SV8 and deleting SV7 files.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #1
THANK YOU!

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #2
Quite nice to see SV8 hit finalization.  Hopefully this will get some people to put the SV8 support to replace their SV7 support.
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #3
I have absolutely nothing of import to add except my exhilaration to hear that my most beloved of lossy formats has finally overcome the SV7 barrier. Great work, guys!

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #4
awesome!

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #5

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #6
Good work guys.

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #7
- Packetized stream allows muxing into audio and video containers (e.g. MKA, MKV, NUT)

I want to add support for Musepack in NUT to FFmpeg. Is there a 16-bit wFormatTag for MPC8 or does it need to use a FOURCC?

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #8
Nice!

Just a small glitch: mpccut.exe goes into infinite loop when mpc file has broken frames. (It was a file converted from a broken SV7 file).

QUESTION: there is no publicly available tool to recover SV7 files with broken frames, is there?
(I mean recover = trying to re-sync and continue decoding past the broken frame). Could it be put on a wishlist please?

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #9
Great news! Seeking through hour-long funeral doom tracks will be possible now
we was young an' full of beans

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #10
It's great to see improvement on an excellent codec.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #11
To kdo:

1. To put it bluntly, we're not touching SV7 anymore. One reason SV8 was born is SV7's failure to deal with such errors. Sorry, it's also not easy at all to do from my understanding of SV7.

2. I reproduced your mpccut bug. We'll fix it ASAP

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #12
Congratulations to Musepack, Seed, and other developers who have worked ceaselessly on this project. This is a cause for celebration! 

When I first joined this forum, SV8 was already a dream for some... today, it has become reality.

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #14
Hi,
when development of SV8 began?

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #15
Great news!
Congratulations to Nicolas and everyone who contributed!

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #16
Hi,

Hi dev

Frank Klemm's SV8 code had to be discarded. r2d and Lefungus began working on SV8 in the summer of 2005

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #17
Hi,

Hi dev

Frank Klemm's SV8 code had to be discarded. r2d and Lefungus began working on SV8 in the summer of 2005

... long development

technical / quality - what new is in SV8, it`s lame quastion, i know, but from what i read musepack is a bit restricted technicly comparing to vorbis but on the other hand i see that there is no pre-echo in musepack and that many people are very fond of it, what i like to know where is the truth in referance to quality comparing latest musepack and ogg vorbis

thx

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #18
Rockbox 3.2 will be out in late March.  Can SV8 make it?

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #19
Rockbox 3.2 will be out in late March.  Can SV8 make it?

I don't think anyone is working on merging it right now, so probably not unless some steps in to do it.

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #20
dev:

Regarding quality, Vorbis is better than MPC at 128 kbps, IMO. As you go higher than 160 kbps I think most ears won't tell between the 2. At 200 kbps, MPC, AAC and Vorbis are basically the same for most untrained ears. The trained ears can find flaws in all 3. As always, "mpcenc.exe --insane" produces excellent results.

Mike Giacomelli:

Regarding RockBox, there have been talks in the last 2 days. I am not an RB dev so I'm not making any statements. There is at least one RockBox developer who knows how to do it (and he created the MPC format)  When time allows, an RB dev *will* pick it up. I can't tell when

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #21
Regarding RockBox, there have been talks in the last 2 days. I am not an RB dev so I'm not making any statements. There is at least one RockBox developer who knows how to do it (and he created the MPC format) smile.gif When time allows, an RB dev *will* pick it up. I can't tell when

Considering that the freeze for 3.2 is probably going to happen in about a week, I don't see it making it into 3.2.

EDIT: Shortened quote, added info for clarity.

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #22
Shy, Mike and I talked on IRC yesterday. I have turned to some devs and we'll see how quick it'll be. Anyway, the SVN builds of RockBox have been very stable for me regarding SV7 playback. I've been using RockBox for a long time. No need to rush things for 3.2

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #23
I am so happy! Go Musepack!

Musepack SV8 Final

Reply #24
Building instructions for the source code would be nice.