Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.1.3 beta1 available (Read 158801 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.1.3 beta1 available

Reply #25
yeah, I have not tried building it on my ibook yet so the tests for the assembler must not be up to date.

I think you can get past this problem by deleting line 22818 in configure:

Code: [Select]
test "$AS" = "as" && as --version | grep GNU >/dev/null && AS=gas

That change did allow ./configure to finish however make now ends with errors:
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [flac] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
I am quickly getting in over my head!

Reply #26
Josh,

What about licensing issues that prevents FLAC from being packaged with WinAmp?

Reply #27
I get the following warning message on a 192/24/2 wave file created with wvunpack 4.2. Might not be a problem with flac, but thought I should mention it anyway.

options: --lax -P 8192 -b 4608 -m -l 8 -q 0 -r 3,3
02 The Carter Family.wav: WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24

I might remove this warning since I think for 24bps all programs write samples the same way.

After installing FLAC 1.1.3 beta1 on Slackware (gcc 3.4.6) I tried recompiling vorbis-tools 1.1.1, but I get this error:

yeah, sorry about that, this is due to the api change which collapses the three decoding layers into one.  this will remove the need for easyflac.c in vorbis-tools.

I will be going around to the major opensource projects and submitting patches for the latest version while the beta goes on.

yeah, I have not tried building it on my ibook yet so the tests for the assembler must not be up to date.

Doesn't do the trick (on my Intel iMac at least).

bummer, I'll need the output from make where it broke.

That change did allow ./configure to finish however make now ends with errors:
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [flac] Error 1
I am quickly getting in over my head!

ok, can you post most more of the output, back up to the first error?

Josh,

Does this include the Winamp plugin, and has this been updated to use the Media Library yet or do I still need to install the patched 1.12 I have?

the necessary code was relicensed to LGPL but there was not enough time to get it into the latest winamp release.  the reference plugin does not have ML support but the one coming from winamp will and has all of the features of the reference plugin, so I'm still deciding how much effort to put into maintaining it.

Josh

Reply #28

Doesn't do the trick (on my Intel iMac at least).

bummer, I'll need the output from make where it broke.

sorry, I didn't delete the line properly but now I too get an error at the make stage:
/usr/bin/libtool: file: .libs/libFLAC.lax/libFLAC-asm.a/cpu_asm.o is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
/usr/bin/libtool: file: .libs/libFLAC.lax/libFLAC-asm.a/fixed_asm.o is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
/usr/bin/libtool: file: .libs/libFLAC.lax/libFLAC-asm.a/lpc_asm.o is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
make[4]: *** [libFLAC.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Edit:I had a space in the directory name the first time around

Reply #29
Josh,

Does this include the Winamp plugin, and has this been updated to use the Media Library yet or do I still need to install the patched 1.12 I have?
the necessary code was relicensed to LGPL but there was not enough time to get it into the latest winamp release.  the reference plugin does not have ML support but the one coming from winamp will and has all of the features of the reference plugin, so I'm still deciding how much effort to put into maintaining it.
Well, since it's been relicensed to LGPL, I think you can kind of 'delegate' maintenance to the Winamp guys. I mean, it's the GPL license that has been binding their hands.

Reply #30
ok, can you post most more of the output, back up to the first error?
Sure, I uploaded the output as a text file in a zip document on my web site.
You can get it here. Now where is krmathis when you need him? 

Reply #31
@ffooky: looks like you will have to pass --disable-asm-optimizations to configure until I get it sorted out, sorry.

@spies: oops, to fix:
1. change line 47 of flac-1.1.3-beta1/include/share/replaygain_analysis.h to
extern Float_t ReplayGainReferenceLoudness; /* in dB SPL, currently == 89.0 */

2. change line 103 of flac-1.1.3-beta1/src/share/replaygain_analysis/replaygain_analysis.c to
Float_t ReplayGainReferenceLoudness = 89.0; /* in dB SPL */

Josh

Reply #32
Thanks Josh, got it rolling now.

Reply #33
Nice version, good compression bonus and pictures support. Thank you!

Any plans about x86_64 assembler optimization?

Reply #34
@spies: oops, to fix:
1. change line 47 of flac-1.1.3-beta1/include/share/replaygain_analysis.h to
extern Float_t ReplayGainReferenceLoudness; /* in dB SPL, currently == 89.0 */

2. change line 103 of flac-1.1.3-beta1/src/share/replaygain_analysis/replaygain_analysis.c to
Float_t ReplayGainReferenceLoudness = 89.0; /* in dB SPL */

Josh

Thanks Josh that did it, now on to testing!

Reply #35
Some results for my TAK corpus:

|  1.1.2                   |   1.1.3b1
   |  Enc     Dec       Comp  |   Enc    Dec       Comp
===+==========================+========================
-0 |  94x    106x    70.734%  |  91x    104x    70.744%
-5 |  42x     97x    66.279%  |  39x     93x    65.926%
-8 |  10x     95x    66.028%  |   9x     93x    65.621%
I'm on a horse.

Reply #36
Heh, from the results that other people have been getting, can't wait till this goes final and is in Gentoo's Portage tree.
"It's the panties fault! The panties made me a pervert!"

Reply #37
FLAC as an input to FLAC works great! Makes it so easy to convert FLACs to --best.
I am also excited about --picture however I cannot seem to get it to work right.
Can someone post an exact example of their command line that works with --picture?
I tried to follow the example given in metaflac but I was not able to figure it out.

Reply #38
I like the new version also but i wonder about the maximum compression.
Josh you talked about 0.1% less compression using -l12 to -l32 in the flake thread. Now flake -12 seems to give clearly better compression than these 0.01% against flac --best. Is there more to expect in the final 1.1.3?
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #39
FLAC as an input to FLAC works great! Makes it so easy to convert FLACs to --best.
I am also excited about --picture however I cannot seem to get it to work right.
Can someone post an exact example of their command line that works with --picture?
I tried to follow the example given in metaflac but I was not able to figure it out.

what exact command line did you use?

I like the new version also but i wonder about the maximum compression.
Josh you talked about 0.1% less compression using -l12 to -l32 in the flake thread. Now flake -12 seems to give clearly better compression than these 0.01% against flac --best. Is there more to expect in the final 1.1.3?

I haven't compared against flake, just "flac -8" against "flac -8 -l 32" and the difference is usually for me < 0.1% (not 0.01%) and I haven't seen any comparisons against flake -12, but what is relevant in the context of limiting the predictor order to 12 (in the subset discussion) is to compare similar flake options differing only in 12-vs-32 order.  the rest of the difference between flac and flake (padding excluded) would then be attributable to some advantage(s) in flake.

the compression won't improve for final 1.1.3 but I have a several leads for the next release.

Josh

Reply #40

Hi,

This is for metaflac, but if you change --import-picture to --picture this should work fine.
--import-picture "3|image/jpeg|||Your directory\filename.jpg" "filename.flac"

Be sure to use the quotes & piping like so, because it won't work without them. At least it didn't for me.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #41
I haven't compared against flake, just "flac -8" against "flac -8 -l 32" and the difference is usually for me < 0.1% (not 0.01%) and I haven't seen any comparisons against flake -12, but what is relevant in the context of limiting the predictor order to 12 (in the subset discussion) is to compare similar flake options differing only in 12-vs-32 order.  the rest of the difference between flac and flake (padding excluded) would then be attributable to some advantage(s) in flake.

the compression won't improve for final 1.1.3 but I have a several leads for the next release.

Josh

Thanks for the answer. I don´t consider flake as real alternative cause of the many missing options btw.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #42
Hi,

This is for metaflac, but if you change --import-picture to --picture this should work fine.
--import-picture "3|image/jpeg|||Your directory\filename.jpg" "filename.flac"

Be sure to use the quotes & piping like so, because it won't work without them. At least it didn't for me.
Thanks drbeachboy, that did it!
I swear I tried with quotes but I must have put them in the wrong place.
Now on to more testing.

Reply #43
When you encode with flac using files with long names the flac display goes a little mental. Is there any chance of getting the percent and ratio counters to be put on a new line.

G:\Lossless Music\Ben Folds Five\1999 - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold M
essner>flac -8 -f " Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Mess
ner.wav"

flac 1.1.3beta1, Copyright © 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

options: -P 8192 -b 4608 -m -l 12 -e -q 0 -r 0,6
 Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner.wav: 0% complet
 Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner.wav: 1% complet
e, ratio=0.513^C
G:\Lossless Music\Ben Folds Five\1999 - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold M
essner>
So it would be
flac 1.1.3beta1, Copyright © 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

options: -P 8192 -b 4608 -m -l 12 -e -q 0 -r 0,6
Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner.wav
1% complete, ratio=0.513
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #44
When you encode with flac using files with long names the flac display goes a little mental. Is there any chance of getting the percent and ratio counters to be put on a new line.

Currently, you can avoid this issue by increasing CMD.EXE window:
Start -> Programs -> Accessoires -> Right click on Command prompt -> Properties -> Layout tab -> Increase both "Window:" size values.

Reply #45

Excellent thanks for the info

Reply #46
More recompression results (-8, new files /w 4096 bytes more padding)

Metallica - Fight fire with fire.flac
Org: 34459099
New: 34222080
Dif:  -237019

Visa Röster - Delta.flac
Org: 18984287
New: 18787909
Dif:  -196378

Adds up.

Reply #47
I've tested this with flac frontend and works great... Although when i'm in command prompt and type flac, it still shows (flac - Command-line FLAC encoder/decoder version 1.1.2) But after i use frontend and it shows the latest beta version... Anyone know why?

Reply #48
I've tested this with flac frontend and works great... Although when i'm in command prompt and type flac, it still shows (flac - Command-line FLAC encoder/decoder version 1.1.2) But after i use frontend and it shows the latest beta version... Anyone know why?

Did you replace the flac.exe and other files in windows/system32 directory? You have to replace those too.

Reply #49
nope , but i searched and there is on flac.exe in win32 folder but no other files, that i believe belong to it. So i can delete it? and paste the newset beta version in there? 
I never deleted anything out of win32folder...