Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My first record deal (Read 2008 times) previous topic - next topic

My first record deal

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice from producers who have signed records.

The label has sent me the contract for some tracks and the shakedown is this:
1. They own all the performance and production rights in exclusivity.
2. They own the copyright forever.
3. I will have no legal power to change any of the above/terminate the agreement.

In return here are my royalty details:
Company Shall credit Producer with a basic royalty of sixteen percent (16%) of the dealer wholesale price of the records derived solely from the Masters, Which records are sold by Company through normal physical retail channels in the United States, and not returned; twenty five percent (25%) of net receipts for digital sales; and fifty percent (50%) of net receipts for third party licenses and synchronizations. All royalties hereunder shall be computed, adjusted and reduced pursuant to the terms of Company’s standard royalty provisions.

This all seems fine to me, though I'm not thrilled about signing away the copyright since ultimately after I'm established enough as a working artist I'd like to give my tracks away for free but it's my understanding as an unknown artist I have basically no bargaining position (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Cheers for any tips mates!