Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: High bitrate ogg VS. flac on decoding energy use ? (Read 7862 times) previous topic - next topic

High bitrate ogg VS. flac on decoding energy use ?

Hello, I am concerning about ogg and flac on MP3 Player.

I know that flac is lossless and encodes use no float point library.

I know that ogg is loss and have a good test on low bitrate.

But, I wanna know ogg Q10 (or other high bitrate, such as Q9, Q8) VS. flac, which is more energy consuming in decoding ?

Since I play music on SAMSUNG YP-Q3, endurance is important.

Thanks, guys !

Reply #1
But, I wanna know ogg Q10 (or other high bitrate, such as Q9, Q8) VS. flac, which is more energy consuming in decoding ?

Probably ogg, since its algorithmically much more complex.  But decoder quality varies massively from device to device, so its hard to say.

Since I play music on SAMSUNG YP-Q3, endurance is important.

If you already have the player, load up a playlist and test how long it last with each format. 

Reply #2
if its anything like my older samsung players, the vorbis decoder was better then any of the others the player offered, havent tested a newer player, to be honest, theres reason i bought a cowon, 50hrs battery life and excellent sound quality  oh yeah and a card slot(with a 32gb card in it hehe)

Reply #3

Probably ogg, since its algorithmically much more complex.  But decoder quality varies massively from device to device, so its hard to say.

Maybe it should also be taken into account the increase in energy consumption for FLAC due to reading about three times more data from mass storage.
... I live by long distance.