Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 516939 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #575
Which codec do you have installed to allow FLAC playback in WMP?

Please report back the technical details of the crash. Open the Start screen, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application, and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your reply. Thanks!

You only need WMP Tag Plus if you just want FLAC library and tagging support. If you also want the tag editor, you'll need Windows Media Player Plus! as well.

Reply #576
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          1/12/2014 1:22:39 PM
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:        Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DJ-FATS
Description:
The program wmplayer.exe version 12.0.9200.16420 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 27bc
Start Time: 01cf0fd8dcf3df78
Termination Time: 12
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
Report Id: a406fea4-7bcf-11e3-be97-083e8ed61600
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-12T21:22:39.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>38697</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DJ-FATS</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>wmplayer.exe</Data>
    <Data>12.0.9200.16420</Data>
    <Data>27bc</Data>
    <Data>01cf0fd8dcf3df78</Data>
    <Data>12</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe</Data>
    <Data>a406fea4-7bcf-11e3-be97-083e8ed61600</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Reply #577
I am using K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1020_Basic for my codec as far as I know.

I can play FLAC, APE and mp3 in my windows media player now with this codec installed.

I'm finding WMP 12 very unfriendly in giving information about codecs it is actively using and providing a feature for me to manually disable plug-ins and/or codecs btw !

Reply #578
Thanks for posting the technical details. The only useful info I can see is that something is hanging WMP. Can you still reproduce this hang?

If so, while WMP is hanging again, please press Ctrl+Alt+Del, start Task Manager and go to the Details tab. Is the wmplayer.exe process (or perhaps another process) using a lot of CPU? Next, right-click the wmplayer.exe process and select Create Dump File. Can you then upload the dump file to Dropbox or a file sharing website like SkyDrive/RapidShare, and send me the download link via PM? Thanks!

Edit: you can enable WMP plug-ins again in the Tools - Plug-ins menu (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

Reply #579
Hey Tim, I first want to thank you so much for these great plugins!  I'm obviously late to the party (based on the date of this thread), but I just now stumbled onto your great added support for other file formats in WMP.

But I have encountered a problem... one very similar to the last issue reported above by EvtK.

Let's start with my info: I am using WMP 12.0.7601.18150 in W7 Pro 64.  I have a large audio library of almost totally WMA lossless files, and now I am trying to add .flac support.  I have installed  Xiph.org DirectShow Filters Open Codecs version 0.85.17777, WMPTagPlus-2.2 and WMPPlus-2.6.

I keep two copies of my library - one is on a dedicated Media drive installed in my primary editing computer, and the second copy is on a network drive as the primary WMP library location for multiple other computers so that I can play my music library from any of them without having to keep extra copies or needing to worry about having the primary editing computer turned on.  It also works as a full backup.  This has worked perfectly for playing all .mp3 and .wma files.  (My problem has nothing to do with the network location - I just wanted to explain why I have two copies of my library.)

When I update media information for mp3 and wma files on the primary computer and then copy the files to the network library, all the updated media information shows up properly on the other computers too (meaning the tag information obviously transferred WITH the files from one library to the other).  SEE UPDATE ON BOTTOM

My problem is simply this - after installing your plugins and updating media info for some flac files (including using the "Update album info" feature), then copying the folder to another location, NONE of the album info shows up in the WMP library on the other computers.  Those computers do play the flac files, but right clicking on a file and looking at the content tab shows no tag information.  Similarly, just using file explorer to look at the files on the original computer  (the one where the media library DOES show that tag info) shows no tag information.  To clarify - after updating the media info in WMP, then using "Update album info", the files still do not show any tag info in file explorer.

I do not have any WMP plugins installed other than your two.  Any ideas why the updated tag info does not seem to be actually in the files?

UPDATE:
Oops!  Just completed a new test with some downloaded mp3 files - updated album info then copied folder, and the updated info did NOT move with those files either.  In this example, I was even able to see the problem with file explorer without copying the files - updated album info showed composer names in WMP, but the composer field was still blank in file explorer properties | details.  So I am left scratching my head - the problem does not seem to be related to your excellent plugins, but it exists none the less.

Still would be great if you had any ideas...

Reply #580
If I understand correctly, the issue with FLAC already occurs during tag reading, while the issue with MP3 only occurs during tag writing. So I'm still not very sure if they're one and the same problem.

The MP3 issue could be explained by the fact that WMP doesn't write tag changes to file immediately. WMP usually writes changes to file at a later time in the background. You can force it to write any pending tag changes immediately by using the Tools - Apply media information changes command (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

It's not very surprising that Explorer didn't show any tags for the FLAC files. Unless you have a third-party FLAC property handler installed, Explorer doesn't support FLAC tags. It's better to take a look at the files with the Mp3tag tool.

Reply #581
Yeah, I'm feeling like a bit of a fool right now - I'm new to this forum, but certainly not other internet forums.  But still I somehow even missed seeing that this thread had 24 pages - and I looked!  I was surprised that it seemed to stop way back in October of 2009.  So I've got a lot more back reading to do before I waste y'all's time with questions.

But I did use the Tools - Apply media information changes function, again just now, then re-copied the folder to another computer, and the media information updates were NOT carried with the files.  I have repeated this test about four times now, just to verify I didn't miss something.  And as I said in my first post, this problem seems to show up without even needing to copy the files.

To duplicate it yourself, simply edit the Composer information for an mp3 file in the WMP library, do the apply media information changes, then go to the properties for that file in File explorer - when you look at the Details tab, the composer field will not have any change you made to it in WMP.  I'm pretty sure this was not a problem in older versions of WMP, but maybe I just never noticed it before since most of the media information information never changes.  And after all, I would never have seen it now if I was not trying to compare two different computers against the same files copied to a different location.  It would never have jumped out at me except for the fact that the flac files start out with NO media information at all, and I did some detailed testing with mp3 files for a comparison. 

By the way, this problem does NOT happen with WMA files, only mp3 and FLAC (possibly others, of course, but I only have these three types in my library to test).  I hate mp3 format with a passion, so I have very few of those, but I was planning on doing a lot more FLAC, and having to manually update the media information for every new file on every single computer that I use will be a huge problem!

Reply #582
I tried to duplicate your problem with MP3 on my Windows 7 system, but for me, the composer field in Details was correctly filled in after using Apply media information changes.

Regarding the issue with FLAC: just to be clear, you do also have WMP Tag Plus installed on the other computers, right?

In WMP on one of these computers, please go to Tools - Options - Plug-ins (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Select the Background category, then select WMP Tag Plus and click Properties. In WMP Tag Plus settings, go to Tools, click Refresh song tags and follow the instructions. Does it detect the FLAC songs without any tag information and does refreshing these songs help?

Reply #583
I am sorry for the delay in replying to your question and suggestions, especially after you were so prompt in responding to my initial posts, but I have been getting lots of inconsistent results from my testing, and that inconsistency is driving me nuts!  On top of that, I have spent a lot of time trying to find appropriate downloads for albums I already own but are not yet in my database to use for testing.

First of all let me state that Yes, I do have WMP Tag Plus on all computers, and I have also done the Refresh Song tags on all computers (none of them found any songs that needed updated).  I have been using Mediainfo to manually check for updated tag fields on the files, as this utility seems to work excellently for all of the file types.

My primary recording/editing computer seems to be causing most of the problem with inconsistent results.  This computer has all media files on local drives.  In one test today I added two new albums, both recorded as 320 mp3.  Neither of the albums showed any composer information as downloaded.  I manually updated the composer info for one track in each album using Tag Editor Plus, then applied the media information changes.  While both tracks continue to show the updated information within WMP, only ONE of them actually shows the changed composer information on the file itself. 

Next, I did Find Album Info for both of these same albums (each of the downloaded files contained some erroneous tag info).  After this process completed, both albums display all correct info in WMP, but only one of them actually updated the tag info on the files.  Album one (The Essential Willie Nelson) had all of the tag info correctly updated on each file, and album two (The Mothers of Invention/Freak Out!) had none of the tag information updated on the files.

That test somewhat supports your not being able to duplicate my reported problem that tag fields were NOT updating for me on an mp3 file.  Turns out that some albums update the files, and some do not.

That same computer also has this problem with FLAC files.  When I added the same Essential Willie Nelson album in FLAC format and then updated the media info, none of the tags on the files were updated (that is opposite from what happened with the mp3 files for the same album).  But when I added Sgt. Pepper in FLAC format and updated the media info, all tags on the files were correctly updated!

On a different computer that uses all media files from a network drive, WMP has correctly updated all tag information on all files for every album I have tested, no matter what the format.  But I have not tested very many albums there simply because the media library takes an awfully long time to fully update due to the shear size and slow performance of the network drive; therefore, saying it always works to update the tag fields may be premature.

So far, I have not been able to identify any specific indicator on the albums that do not update properly on the first computer to help point to what the problem might be.  VERY frustrating.

Reply #584
Sorry to hear that. One possible explanation is that some of the MP3 files contain ID3v2.4 tags, while WMP/Explorer support ID3v1/ID3v2.3 only. (You can check the ID3 version of a file with Mp3tag.) This could explain the inconsistent results, but of course not why it's also happening with FLAC (no different tag versions there).

Another possible factor are the network drives. You might want to check if these drives are indexed by Windows, as I believe that is required for WMP/Explorer to correctly pick up tags. This could be easily checked by moving some music files to a local folder.

Let me know if you find anything.

Reply #585
Thanx for the ideas, but just a quick clarification:

Computer "A" HAS the problem, but does not use network media files.
Computer "B" does NOT have the problem, and does use the network files.  This computer correctly updates the tags on the physical files even for the albums that are not updated from computer 1.  Today I added three FLAC albums to this computer that are not being properly updated on Computer "A", but Computer "B" updated all of them perfectly.

That seems to eliminate either of those possibilities.

Computer 1 is the bigger, badder, faster computer, and it has been used extensively over the years for lots of video and audio recording and editing.  As such, there are numerous other media related programs and utilities on there that do not exist on computer 2.  It seems logical that something installed on there might be conflicting with the file update process from WMP, but the idea of trying to wade through it all to find the culprit is giving me a big headache!  I do not see any errors or indications of a problem, except that the tags just never get updated for some albums.

Reply #586
You might want to give Clean Boot a try, to check if there's a conflict with a program running in the background.

Reply #587
MYSTERY SOLVED!  Many of the files I downloaded for testing were flagged as Read Only.  WMP doesn't flag this as a problem since it simply keeps all the tag data in the library and only updates the physical files when and if it can.  MP3Tag clued me in by throwing up a warning about Read Only when I tried to use it to fix some tags before adding the files to the library.

Seems like a pretty simple issue, but I had not seen it before because almost all of my media files have come from my own rips and direct recordings.  Furthermore, just the simple act of copying these new "read only" files to my NAS seems to remove the read only flag, which is why Computer "B" was not having the problem.  And that blinded me to the possibility that it was an issue with the file itself.

Thanx for all your ideas and help, and ESPECIALLY for your great plugins!

Now that I know what your tools can do and see how you support them, I would gladly buy them, especially since your freeware model works like a lifetime license with free upgrades. 

I always start a new project by looking for free programs to get my feet wet - hate to buy something before I know what I want to do and if it will meet my needs.  But I am getting so impressed with your tools that I want to donate!  Unfortunately, your web site wants me to use Paypig, and I absolutely will NOT deal with them (they stole money form me once simply because I would not take a credit out of my account fast enough).  Any other option?

Reply #588
Good to hear

As for donating, you could also transfer money to my bank account: BE18 0014 1952 3965. (Not sure if this will work from outside the EU though, PM me if it doesn't.) Thanks!

Reply #589
OK Tim, we still have an odd problem that initially seems like it may be related specifically to your plugin.  In short, it seems as though FLAC files that were not properly tagged BEFORE being copied to the network drive do not display the correct information from a third computer (and refreshing song tags does not help).  This may also just be a peculiarity of trying to access the same media files from WMP on multiple computers.  Let me try to explain . . .

As you recall from the posts above, I have two copies of my media files - the "source" copy on Computer "A" and a copy of the media files on a network drive that is accessed by multiple other computers.  During all of the initial testing where I was having trouble getting the tags to update on the initial downloaded files BEFORE I copied them to the network drive, I was only using Computer "B" to test how WMP saw the tags on the network files.  During this testing, I had copied 7 FLAC encoded albums to the network drive (Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown", Pink Floyd "A momentary Lapse of Reason" & "The Wall" 1&2, Willie Nelson "Essential Willie Nelson" 1&2 & "Red Headed Stranger"). 

Of these 7 albums, Computer "A" was only able to properly update the tags on "Read Headed Stranger" before it was moved.  This seems to be an important fact.  This album was downloaded with no tags (I just checked the source), but since the Read Only flag was not set, all of the tags were updated by WMP before I copied the files to the network drive.

The other six albums either had no tag information stored on the files before they were copied, or, in the case of "Essential Willie Nelson", an incorrect album name.

After seeing that these FLAC albums were not being shown with tag data on Computer "B", I started WMP on Computer "C" to compare the results.  Of course I had to install WMP Tag Plus on this computer also, and these 7 albums were already in the network library before I did that.  The tag information shown on Computer "C" was the same as Computer "B": Red Headed Stranger was shown with all the correct tag information, Essential willie Nelson was shown with the wrong album name, and the other four were shown as Unknown for both album and artist.  At this point I shut down WMP on Computer "C" and returned to "A" and "B" for the remainder of my testing.

I was able to use Computer "B" to have WMP successfully update all of the tag information on these FLAC albums already copied to the network drive.  I have used both Mediainfo and MP3Tag to verify that these files now have the correct information physically stored in the files themselves.  After I finally discovered that the the Read Only flag was causing my tag update problem from Computer "A", I used it to successfully update the tags on a bunch more FLAC albums and then copy those to the network drive.  In every case now, Computer "B" shows the correct tag information for all the files copied to the network without need for further updates.

Sooooo, this morning I started WMP on Computer "C" again and let it refresh all the new album info from the network.  And here is the problem - the original 6 FLAC albums that originally had either no tag info or wrong album name WERE NOT UPDATED, despite the fact that all the tag information is now correctly stored on the network files.  I'm guessing that this is because the WMP Media Library for those albums was already created and will not be updated unless it is done from within WMP on that computer.  All of the new FLAC albums that I added yesterday with correct tag information on them before being copied are shown correctly on both Computers "B" and "C".  I have used WMP Tag Plus properties to refresh song tags on Computer "C", but it said nothing needed to be updated.  I have done this twice and restarted WMP numerous times, but still no changes.

The next logical step would seem to be to delete the media library in WMP and let it rebuild, but I have not done that yet in case there is something else you want me to check or test first.

I have completed a test of changing some tag information on a file that was already in the WMP library, using an external tag editor to make the changes, then restarting WMP, and that changed information does NOT show as changed in WMP.  This seems to confirm my suspicion that once a song or album is already loaded into the WMP Media Library, you cannot change the tag information outside of WMP without having to rebuild the library (or at least delete and restore deleted library items).  I'm sorry if that is already general knowledge, but since I struggled so much figuring this out, I thought I would share my experience.

Reply #590
Under normal circumstances, WMP should detect tag changes made outside of the library and should automatically update its library to reflect the external changes. It's possible though that this only works on NTFS drives and that network drives aren't supported. I even vaguely remember that WMP uses an NTFS-specific feature for detecting changes (USN change journals), which probably isn't available for network drives.

Again, this could be easily checked by testing on some FLAC files in a local folder. It may also be a matter of simply letting Windows index the network drives.

If that doesn't help, then you could indeed reset the library, see here for instructions.

Reply #591
The test I performed was on the computer using FLAC media files on a local NTFS drive.  I changed the album name on several individual cuts using an external editor, then restarted WMP to ensure it would look at the library location for new info (I have found that restarting WMP always causes it to load new data from the network location much quicker than just waiting for it to happen, so I assume it does the same with the local files).  I did not wait any extended time after that to see if the change would eventually be detected.

The result was that WMP did not detect the album name change on the local files until I deleted the album from the library and then did a Restore Deleted Library Items . . ..  After the restore, the songs where I had changed the album name tag did indeed show up in WMP as the new album name, so the tag information was correct on the file.

I haven't tested other codec types, and I am sure there is much about this that I do not understand, but it seems logical to advise anyone who is having difficulty in getting updated tag information to show in WMP to delete the item from the library (not the disk, just WMP Library), and then use the Advanced Tools to Restore Deleted Library Items.  That would seem to be especially good advice if they have used any external tag editor, even Windows Explorer properties.

Reply #592
What was the location of the FLAC files on the local drive? If it happens again, can you check if you see the same behaviour for MP3 files? In that case, please also reset the library as the issue could have been caused by library corruption. Thanks!

Reply #593
Not sure what you mean by "the location" of the files on the local drive - all of my music files are on a dedicated media drive, and the Top level folder is set as the My Music location for the Library.

Anyway, when I re-tested external tag changes for both FLAC and MP3 files, the results were the same - WMP would not detect any changes unless I deleted and re-added those particular albums to the media library.  But you had an excellent suggestion - rebuilding the entire media library via Tools | Advanced | Restore media library... solved the problem.  After that whole process completed (takes many hours due to the sheer size of my library), now I can make tag changes from an external editor on any file type and watch WMP instantly pick up those changes as soon as I save them.

Thanx for your help!

Reply #594
With location, I meant the folder that contains the music files. Just wanted to make sure that this folder is added as a library location, which I see now is indeed the case.

Good to hear that rebuilding the media library fixed the problem, thanks for reporting back

Reply #595
Hi Tim,

I have completed the migration of my wma lossless collection to ALAC.  Everything is working great in my Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and WMC environments.  Thanks again for your assistance. 

I do have a question about Shared Libraries.  Although it not essential, it is also possible to stream music from my Server to a local system using WMP as a client (using the Shared Libraries functionality).  I noticed however that while this worked with my old wma lossless files, it doesn't work with ALAC files, even with wmp tag plus installed.
My Server name appears as a library in wmp, and I can open and navigate my music collection - but when I try to play (stream) a file, I get this error:  "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
Is playing streamed files handled differently?   

Thanks,
  Ralph

Reply #596
Hi Tim,

I have completed the migration of my wma lossless collection to ALAC.  Everything is working great in my Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and WMC environments.  Thanks again for your assistance. 

I do have a question about Shared Libraries.  Although it not essential, it is also possible to stream music from my Server to a local system using WMP as a client (using the Shared Libraries functionality).  I noticed however that while this worked with my old wma lossless files, it doesn't work with ALAC files, even with wmp tag plus installed.
My Server name appears as a library in wmp, and I can open and navigate my music collection - but when I try to play (stream) a file, I get this error:  "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"

Thanks,
  Ralph

It is my understanding that streaming of music by WMP is only supported for music played by Windows Media Foundation codecs. As the person who came up with the first solution for WMP to play ALAC files  which was a DirectShow filter and was therefore the first person in the World to play an ALAC file in WMP I have some knowledge in this area. As far as I am aware there is still no Media Foundation codec to play ALAC files and all available solutions are either using the same original ALAC compatible DirectShow filter or some other subsequently released ALAC compatible DirectShow filter.

I would certainly be very interested in getting a Media Foundation codec instead.

Unfortunately there seem to be hardly any Media Foundation codecs available for any format, certainly not one for ALAC. If anyone is willing to make one there is free open-source code available for processing ALAC format files. This code is not for an actual Media Foundation codec but could be used for one.

See http://alac.macosforge.org/ this is the official open-source code for ALAC as released by Apple. Apple made ALAC an open-source format several years after I came up with the original solution.

My original solution was based on a much more complicated history. The ALAC format had been reverse engineered I believe originally by David Hammerton as per http://craz.net/programs/itunes/alac.html this was then used as the basis for an ALAC module written for the BASS development library see http://www.un4seen.com/ by another developer who subsequently made that module open-source. Yet another developer Milenko Mitrovic, had taken the BASS library and an MP3 module and combined them into a DirectShow filter, I persuaded him to take the BASS library and the ALAC module and do the same thing with them which resulted in the first ever ALAC compatible DirectShow filter, it can play both AAC and ALAC which makes things far simpler since they both use the same .m4a file extension and MPEG4 container. See https://dsp-worx.de/?n=15 I believe since this original Directshow Filter a second solution using the ffmpeg DirectShow filter is now possible, however being that it is still a DirectShow filter it still like my original solution does not support streaming via WMP. I also believe most Windows codec packs still use my and Milenko's original solution.

PS. Microsoft do now officially support playing AAC files using a built-in Media Foundation codec and this support was added with Windows7, however they still don't support ALAC files even as far as I am aware of in Windows8.1 (which I have not tried) even though ALAC is now an open-source format. Adding support to WMP for ALAC via the DirectShow filter approach means you have to disable the built-in AAC Media Foundation codec so I would therefore expect you will lose the ability to also stream AAC files.

Reply #597

Yes. Like John says, for local ALAC playback, a DirectShow codec is enough, but for streaming you'll need a Media Foundation codec which as far as I know hasn't been made yet for ALAC.

I haven't looked into the details, but I don't think there's anything WMP Tag Plus can do about this. The plug-in only takes care of putting the ALAC files into Music instead of Other media. Playback is still the responsibility of WMP and the installed DirectShow/Media Foundation codecs.

Reply #598
Hi Tim,
new user of FLAC format, I'm about to re-rip all my CDs to FLAC instead of MP3. I would like to add my voice to those requesting the possibility to store WMP rating in the file itself.
I appreciate your comments about the fact that rating are personal, but my files are personal too ;-)
Thank you for you good job.

Reply #599
Yes: I've changed my mind and the next release of WMP Tag Plus will definitely be able to store ratings in FLAC and Vorbis files. I don't know yet when it will be released (could still be a while), but it's coming.