Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: GAPLESS Playback now in iPods - New! (Read 294528 times) previous topic - next topic

GAPLESS Playback now in iPods - New!

Apple's Steve Jobs during a live press conference in San Francisco currently going on (at 10AM PST today, Tuesday, Sept. 12th) just announced a feature on iPods that will be sure to please audio enthusiasts -- GAPLESS PLAYBACK!

More details to follow. New iPods to be released. Please update this thread as the new iPods and GAPLESS info is released. This is taken from a live IRC transcript with iLounge reporters inside the Apple news event today.

See below for later posts for details on new iTunes 7, new iPod models/pricing/features, larger iPod video format, new set top wireless mac mini-like box for audio/video and more from this Apple press event.

Link to Quicktime presentation of this media event announcing these products that you can watch:
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/sep_...vent/index.html

Reply #1
Question is: Do they comply with already existant quasi standards (LAME header, Nero AAC/MP4 gapless solution) or do they use a proprietary solution?

Reply #2
Also new iPods released.  brighter with brightness control, up to 6.5 hours video playback, new headphones, gapless playback. Pricing and specs below:

iPods (6G) are now:  $249 with 30 GB, and $349 with 80GB capacity

Nanos in aluminum colors of: Green, silver, black, blue and pink. New iPod Shuffle is much smaller.

Nano 8GB is $249 available in black only, 4GB is $199 in all colors but black, 2GB is $149 in silver only

Shuffle comes in only 1 size now:  metal body, 1 model (1GB), $79, ships in october.

iTunes 7 available today! Will download free cover art for your existing music tracks if you are missing cover art on any songs.

TV shows are now encoded at 640x480 (h264), up from 320x240.

3 different views of iTunes, list view, album view (with art and tracks), then "cover flow view" lets you rapidly find what you want by album cover.

New games for new iPods and 5G iPods on iTunes ($4.99 each): Bejeweled, Cubis 2, Mahjong, Mini golf, pac man, tetris, texas holdem, vortex, and zuma.

You can now sync between multiple computers using an iPod, as long as both are authorized on the same account.

Movie store:  75 near DVD image quality (640x480) Movies now from iTunes. Dolby surround audio. Same day availability as DVD. Pre-order with one click. Most titles will be 9.99. New releases 12.99 preorders and first week, after that up to 14.99. New titles added every week. U.S. now, International in 2007.

No need to download new songs for gapless to work.

NFL football added to iTunes. Whole 2006 season added today: 1.99 per game or 24.99 for whole season (season pass).

Set top box (for video/audio) like Mac Mini to be released 1Q 2007... Will be wireless. Will tenatively be called iTV. 1/2 size of Mac Mini, built-in power supply, USB, Ethernet, 802.11 "wireless component video", optical audio and HDMI ports, plus old RCA stereo audio ports. Works with Apple Remote. Video looks very close to DVD quality even on a huge theater sized projector. Video access is instantaneous, looks like watching a DVD. iTV lets you get access to trailers and iTunes store selected content from internet. iTV box works with Mac or PC and is priced at $299!

Steve Jobs says: Apple is now in your den, living room, car, pocket

Reply #3
And will gapless playback be possible for older iPod models via firmware updates?

My heart hopes so, but my mind tells me that Apple would rather have me buy a new iPod.

Nanos are 52% smaller in size in aluminum colors of: Green, silver, black, blue and pink.
Shuffle is much smaller also.

52%?!? Before we know it you'll be able to hide a nano up your.....

sleeve.

Reply #4
Just maybe we will get the update on our current 5Gs as it has been announced that games can be downloaded to the 5G iPods.

Reply #5
And will gapless playback be possible for older iPod models via firmware updates?

My heart hopes so, but my mind tells me that Apple would rather have me buy a new iPod.

Nanos are 52% smaller in size in aluminum colors of: Green, silver, black, blue and pink.
Shuffle is much smaller also.

52%?!? Before we know it you'll be able to hide a nano up your.....

sleeve.

52% was smaller iPod nano packaging size, not smaller iPod Nano size, and has been corrected above in thread.

Reply #6
Question is: Do they comply with already existant quasi standards (LAME header, Nero AAC/MP4 gapless solution) or do they use a proprietary solution?

The newer versions of iTunes detects which version of LAME that was used to encode by reading the LAME header instead of the "Encoder Settings" tag that LAME also writes. It is possible that the new ipods will use the LAME header or they could be using a gapless DSP hack.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #7
(opera lover inside) This is an excellent new! I just hope that "gapless" doesn't mean "crossfading" in the marketing idiom.

Reply #8
iTunes7:

"Determining Gapless Playback Information"
"Analyzing 452 of 1568"

Hhmm... interesting... it's not just analyzing AAC, MP3 as well.
Under 'Get info' of a song you can select "Part of a gapless album" under the 'Options' tab.

Edit:
OK, I can confirm it now. Gapless playback works for both AAC and MP3, even made with previous version of the encoders (Lame 3.92 for instance). No evidence of crossfading, appears to be the genuine stuff.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #9
I wonder if and when there will be an update for the 5G iPod.

Reply #10
I wonder if and when there will be an update for the 5G iPod.

I have a Mini and I doubt it will be updated.

It is an interesting question though whether all older Nano's and 5G's will get gapless. I guess they will because there is supposed to be a firmware update for them that introduces the other introduced new stuff. I doubt they made two version of the same firmware with just gapless as the difference between the older and newer versions.

Reply #11
@Maurits

Is it possible for you to encode some samples with iTunes AAC encoder (and eventually the MP3 one), just to see if the bundled encoders are also gapless?
Here is a small sample collection of my own which makes potential gap very easy to spot.
Ideally, I'd like to see if the resulting files would play gaplessly not only on iTunes but also with another player (especially foobar2000, which supports AAC gapless playback for years with compatible encoders).

Thank you

Reply #12
Any word on HE-AAC?

Reply #13
@Maurits

Is it possible for you to encode some samples with iTunes AAC encoder (and eventually the MP3 one), just to see if the bundled encoders are also gapless?
Here is a small sample collection of my own which makes potential gap very easy to spot.
Ideally, I'd like to see if the resulting files would play gaplessly not only on iTunes but also with another player (especially foobar2000, which supports AAC gapless playback for years with compatible encoders).

Thank you

I'll have a look, hold on...

Edit: OK, the files are here.

Any word on HE-AAC?
I tried a HE-AAC stream and that didn't work, sadly.

Reply #14
Hope current 5G iPods get a new firmware update for gapless...

Reply #15
iTunes mentions something about QuickTime 7.1.3 being needed for video playback, however that doesn't seem to be in Software Update yet.

Reply #16
I just tried itunes 7. It scans and adds gapless playback info onto its database. I only tried a few tracks on it, so far the gapless playback works on itunes 7 but the tracktime VBR problem is still there and it is a huge resource hog uses about 40MB and 6 percent CPU power just to decode a MP3  . Does not use external album artwork    and you need have the album artwork tagged (which is a waste of space and time) 

EDIT: The Non-Itunes AAC decoder bug still on the latest version of Quicktime

Anyway I only spent five minutes with it and i removed like it was a virus 

Reply #17

Steve said:

"You might be listening to Abbey Road or Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and one track doesn't flow seamlessly into the next. We are going to put this back together as it was intended and offer Gapless Playback for songs encoded with MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless."

Reply #18
I just tried itunes 7. It scans and adds gapless playback info onto its database. I only tried a few tracks on it, so far the gapless playback works on itunes 7 but the tracktime VBR problem is still there and it is a huge resource hog uses about 40MB and 6 percent CPU power just to decode a MP3  . Does not use external album artwork    and you need have the album artwork tagged (which is a waste of space and time) 

Well i dont know what sort of cpu you're running but its only using between 5-6% CPU to play a 128kbps AAC on my old old old 1ghz G4.

Reply #20

Well i dont know what sort of cpu you're running but its only using between 5-6% CPU to play a 128kbps AAC on my old old old 1ghz G4.

I was using that bloatwared player on a Athlon 2000+ with 512MB. It was using about 6% CPU to decode a LAME APS MP3 and using about 100% to render + scroll on the screen it was like browsing the web with a crappy 2D VGA card without even 2D accelaration.

Reply #21
Awesome! How come this thread isn't in "Validated news"?

Reply #22
i was just notified by iTunes 7, iPod Video Firmware 1.2 is now available

Reply #23
i was just notified by iTunes 7, iPod Video Firmware 1.2 is now available

Does that mean so much for your Rockbox?
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #24
It's not gapless. It's very close - I'd eyeball it at 20ms based on what I'm hearing. I'm not complaining.

(5g 60gb, encodes with nero AAC q0.3 LC)