Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does "Lame -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 11 -b 64" produce a VBR o (Read 3555 times) previous topic - next topic

Does "Lame -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 11 -b 64" produce a VBR o

The parameters "-m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 11 -b 64" and Lame version 3.98r are reported by mediainfo when I open a audiobook mp3 file I downloaded from e-music. Both mediainfo and mp3tag report this file as being a CBR file, but from reading the VBR documentation here http://lame.sourceforge.net/vbr.php using the -V option produces a VBR file even without the -v parameter and the -b parameter sets the minimum bit rate instead of forcing a constant bit rate. Is that correct or am I missing something? What would be the advantage of using -V 4 when encoding a CBR file?

Nathan

Reply #1
Encode a file with "-h -b 64" and MediaInfo will show the parameters you quoted.

Reply #2
Thanks lvqcl! Any idea why mediainfo is reporting the encoding settings that way? Is it a mediainfo error or is it from the Lame header of the file?

Reply #3
-m j, V4 (when using only -v) are defaults (and -h equals to -q2).
I think it probably has to do with the Lame header, which stores a "quality" value and some related data (but not the switches themselves).
From there, part of the information can be obtained, but part of it might have no sense.