Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hi, Im a n00b, which is the optimal quality to use for size/ (Read 5426 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi, Im a n00b, which is the optimal quality to use for size/

My first post

Well, i know a little about vorbis ogg audio, i already know its free and better than mp3 but id like you to answer these questions:

Ive heard about another 2 good audio formats around like AAC and MPC, are there any better than vorbis ogg? are there directshow filters for them?

I use to encode "backups" of my DVDs using new DivX 5 codec, and ogg seems to get along with it just swell. So it means i need to get a good balance between quality and size in audio in order not to mess up the video quality which is more important. I have Rammstein- Live aus Berlin DVD concert, so audio is crucial. I encoded the audio with ogg vorbis in oggmachine with 2.0 VBR quality (somehow 96kbps) which i think is cd quality, cuz i can hear artifacts with 80kbps.  Is it ok to say that VBR 2 is cd quality in ogg vorbis just like 128 kbps is for mp3???

One final question, which program do you use to encode ogg vorbis audio?? is off machine okay??

Thnx for reading, i learn fast pls be patient.

Reply #1
Originally posted by Phobos
Ive heard about another 2 good audio formats around like AAC and MPC, are there any better than vorbis ogg? are there directshow filters for them?

AAC is great!
There is an AAC DSfilter, but it's still in beta stage.
No DSfilter for MPC.

I use to encode "backups" of my DVDs using new DivX 5 codec, and ogg seems to get along with it just swell. So it means i need to get a good balance between quality and size in audio in order not to mess up the video quality which is more important. I have Rammstein- Live aus Berlin DVD concert, so audio is crucial. I encoded the audio with ogg vorbis in oggmachine with 2.0 VBR quality (somehow 96kbps) which i think is cd quality, cuz i can hear artifacts with 80kbps.  Is it ok to say that VBR 2 is cd quality in ogg vorbis just like 128 kbps is for mp3???

That is a hell of a dangerous statement in this board...

Let's put it this way: If 128kbps MP3 is CD quality to you (p4n05?), then Vorbis VBR 2 should be nearly the same.

One final question, which program do you use to encode ogg vorbis audio?? is off machine okay??

You mean Ogg Machine?

Be sure it's at least using the RC3 encoding engine. You can get latest builds of OggEnc, OggDrop, OggDec... at my page (bottom of the message - currently down)

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #2
yeah man, ill never use the words backup or dvd here (shit!! :eek: )

your link is broken man

Reply #3
Originally posted by Phobos
yeah man, ill never use the words backup or dvd here (shit!! :eek: )

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
To tell you the truth, I was meaning CD Quality = MP3 128kbps...
That is the dangerous statement.

your link is broken man

As I said. Currently down.
You can get binaries at www.vorbis.com too, but they aren't latest builds. Not they are fast builds compiled with ICL.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #5
OggMachine is based on RC3 dlls, yes. (ogg.dll,vorbis.dll,vorbisenc.dll).

if you'd like to encode with the pre-RC4 vorbis, download libVorbis.dll from Roberto's page, and put it in the BeSweet/OggMachine folder.

Reply #6
Originally posted by DSPguru
if you'd like to encode with the pre-RC4 vorbis, download libVorbis.dll from Roberto's page, and put it in the BeSweet/OggMachine folder.
I just wouldn't use CVS builds (pre-RC4) to any serious encoding unless through-outly tested first. There has been several pre-RC4 CVS builds with totally destroyed pre-echo control and even logic errors in some cases (which appear as horrible distortion).
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #7
Originally posted by JohnV
I just wouldn't use CVS builds (pre-RC4) to any serious encoding unless through-outly tested first. There has been several pre-RC4 CVS builds with totally destroyed pre-echo control and even logic errors in some cases (which appear as horrible distortion).
you're right.
that's why BeSweet isn't supplied with any vorbis dlls - it usually simply uses the RC3 dlls supplied within Tobias' OggDs.
if some1 want to test the latest release, than he will have to download libvorbis.dll and put it in the BeSweet folder.

Reply #8
There is a little confusion  around Ogg/Vorbis DLLs in various programs that we can find on the net

oggenc & vorbisgain uses VORBIS.DLL (around 220K UPXed)
this seem a special version only for this 2 binaries.

generic Ogg/Vorbis has 4 DLL named
VORBIS.DLL (~50K UPXed)
OGG.DLL
VORBISENC.DLL
VORBISFILE.DLL
Are these THE standard Win32 Ogg/Voribis DLLs?

Looking at very useful Roberto's page (http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/ogg.html) this DLLs are needed for WinLame, but need to say that these file are also involved with Tobias Ogg DirectShow filter, VorbisEnc and maybe other RC3 related binaries.
Have these files a *clear* rule ??
Do we can give these files a clear "label"?

Because I believe that recent vorbis CVS has gained some improvements I have updated this 4 files with the latest at Roberto's page, this to make BeSweet working with up-to-date Vorbis encoder.

But... :confused:
Some programs instead uses LIBVORBIS.DLL
and I read in this thread that BeSweet is one of them, but when BeSweet misses this file it uses those four Vorbis DLLs.
a little confusion... :confused:

Also I seen that LIBVORBIS.DLL included with in_vorbis.dll 1.17h Winamp plug-in isn't not compatible with the generic LIBVORBIS.DLL that we could find with other programs. What's this hell??

Could anyone can explain me/us the exact rule of this files?
Often, my main problem is know how to make any new/old program (Vorbis involved) plugged correctly with latest Vorbis builds.

Any aid appreciated

P.S.: for DSPguru
I think I have found a BeSweetGUI bug when it finishes transcoding and log is enabled (1.3b11 + GUI 0.6b39) the main window's frame disappears, but internal options-frame remains.
Sorry, this forum doesn't accept attachments.
"Taking a jazz approach and concentrating on live playing, I wanted to use several different rhythm sections and vintage instruments and amps to create a timeless sound that's geared more around musicality and vibe than sonic perfection. The key was to write with specific rhythm sections in mind, yet leave open spaces for soloing." Lee Ritenour

Reply #9
The libvorbis.dll available at my site was created by John33, just to merge the 4 "official" dlls (vorbis, ogg, vorbisenc and vorbisfile)

I guess the libvorbis used in the Winamp plugin was created by Peter for the plugin, so it's not compatible with John33's libvorbis.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #10
replacing the 4 dlls with pre-rc4 dlls sometime introduces playbacking problems of ogms .
therefore i would suggest to use the original dlls supplied within OggDs.

as for BeSweet,
you can use the pre-rc4 library by placing john33's latest compile of libvorbis in the BeSweet folder.

i also wish that there were different names for different packs, but that's life .

Reply #11
Originally posted by DSPguru
replacing the 4 dlls with pre-rc4 dlls sometime introduces playbacking problems of ogms .
therefore i would suggest to use the original dlls supplied within OggDs.

Ah :eek:, good suggestion for all us
"Taking a jazz approach and concentrating on live playing, I wanted to use several different rhythm sections and vintage instruments and amps to create a timeless sound that's geared more around musicality and vibe than sonic perfection. The key was to write with specific rhythm sections in mind, yet leave open spaces for soloing." Lee Ritenour