Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WOW, Monkey's Audio is still the best (Read 79206 times) previous topic - next topic

WOW, Monkey's Audio is still the best

Reply #100
MAC sure isn't very attractive at normal or even high mode compared to other codecs.
IMO the advantage of MAC comes with extra high mode which usually provides for a superior compression ratio (not talking about LA) while still being fast enough for many users.

Anyway I agree that compression superiority of MAC's extra high mode isn't so impressive as to make it the overwhelming selection criterion. So chosing MAC, TAK, FLAC, wavPack, or other is more or less a matter of taste resp. the specific properties which are most of concern to the user.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

WOW, Monkey's Audio is still the best

Reply #101
MAC sure isn't very attractive at normal or even high mode compared to other codecs.

Rock music comparison (AC/DC - Back In Black):
MAC High: 319,106,036 bytes, 73.37 seconds
TAK Extra: 320,489,313 bytes, 117.06 seconds
WavPack -hx: 322,232,072 bytes, 90.16 seconds

I suppose this really depends on the type of music.  For the majority of stuff I listen to (rock and jazz) that isn't mono or near mono, MAC high compresses more and more quickly than any other codec I've tested including flac, WavPack and TAK, although my testing with the last two aren't terribly extensive.  My findings are pretty consistent with Synthetic Soul's data which I've already posted.

Halb27, maybe you have some data of your own to share?