Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What brand of CD-R's have burnt fine but died after time without any physical damage (scratches etc.) or extreme exposure to sunlight, heat etc. ?

Taiyo Yuden
[ 13 ] (5%)
Kodak
[ 11 ] (4.2%)
Ritek
[ 17 ] (6.5%)
Mitsubishi
[ 5 ] (1.9%)
Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals
[ 10 ] (3.8%)
TDK
[ 28 ] (10.7%)
Sony
[ 28 ] (10.7%)
Princo
[ 39 ] (14.9%)
CMC Magnetics
[ 62 ] (23.7%)
Other (please post)
[ 49 ] (18.7%)

Total Members Voted: 999

Topic: R.I.P. (Read 218654 times) previous topic - next topic

R.I.P.

Reply #50
Alright, I've read the topic, but still a bit unsure of myself     

What CD-Rs can I safely buy and know that they won't die on me? I'm talking like the actual label on the package that you see in the store.

I currently use Maxell CD-R Pros. They seem to have a blue dye. Bad? Good? Please advise

R.I.P.

Reply #51
I am not sure what to make of this.  CMC Magnetics has the greatest number of failures in this poll, but thati might be like asking what brand of car do you own that broke down?  Chances are that Fords and Chevys would leat the list because there are so many of them.

I have purchased CMC Magnetics CD-R's under the  Imation, TDK, HP and GQ (Fry'S) brands.  In fact, since thery don't tell you what is inside the package you have no way of knowing until you get home.  It just seems like CMC Magnetics is the dominant brand.  Try as I may, I never seem to wind up with anything else.  So it must be the Ford or Chevy of CD-R's.

By the way, I have had no problems with them.  I just ran a few quality tests using CD-Speed and there was not a C2 error on any of them regardless of which drive or recording software I used.

R.I.P.

Reply #52
What CD-Rs can I safely buy and know that they won't die on me? I'm talking like the actual label on the package that you see in the store.

Look for Fujifilm brand "made in Japan" only. They are the Taiyo Yudens.

R.I.P.

Reply #53

Look for Fujifilm brand "made in Japan" only. They are the Taiyo Yudens.

Great, thanks! Now to find a store that sells Fujifilm brand CD-Rs made in japan

R.I.P.

Reply #54
Great, thanks! Now to find a store that sells Fujifilm brand CD-Rs made in japan 

Yeah, it's a bit tricky. Sometimes Walgreens has 'em. Last time I found some at CompUSA, but only the 30 pack was made in Japan.

I guess your best bet is to buy Taiyo Yuden branded media online.

R.I.P.

Reply #55

Yeah, it's a bit tricky. Sometimes Walgreens has 'em. Last time I found some at CompUSA, but only the 30 pack was made in Japan.

I guess your best bet is to buy Taiyo Yuden branded media online.

Actually, I found some today at WalMart. Fujifilm slim jewel case CD-Rs made in Japan. Thanks for your help

R.I.P.

Reply #56
Anyone else ever buy some "That's Write" discs?  I've had a few that - despite being well cared for - started skipping around in my Technics SL-P350 CD player (antique now, but still works after 12+ years), which rarely happens...

Anyway, all of the That's Write discs I have (bought in 2001-2002), started to discolour about a year ago.  I have unbranded discs bought at the same sort of time which are still silver!

I haven't looked into testing any of these - I have a Plextor and it came with a copy of Plextools but it's honestly not something I've ever really needed (or even tried).  Perhaps I should look into it...

As an aside, after having some bad experiences with TDK (having a HORRIBLE HP-8100 drive at the time didn't help - even after flashing with the hacked bios), I've been buying Sony CD-R's ever since, for important stuff.  The current batch I have are in 50 disc spindles with the part no. 50CDG80SP5A.  Indentifier and Nero say that these things are actually manufactured by Sony, and every disc I've burned has worked flawlessly.  Perhaps these might be a good option for those that can't get hold of Taiyo Yunden discs (like myself... anywhere reputable in the UK selling these cheap?).

R.I.P.

Reply #57
Green Memorexes.

R.I.P.

Reply #58
^^ Let Me guess... CMC's?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

R.I.P.

Reply #59
Just thought I'd add that I checked the Maxell CD-R Pro disks with EAC, and it identified them as Taiyo Yudens aswell!

R.I.P.

Reply #60
phillips (i payed for it $1.40*5.3)

R.I.P.

Reply #61
Just thought I'd add that I checked the Maxell CD-R Pro disks with EAC, and it identified them as Taiyo Yudens aswell!

Be advised that Maxell sells two types of these discs ... I was unable to find any difference between the packages ... one is TY, the other is CMC ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

R.I.P.

Reply #62
just picked up some Memorex's from compusa that were Riteks.  First time I've seen Riteks as Memorex.  Lucky me, in the last month I've gotten TY and Ritek from Memorex.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

R.I.P.

Reply #63

Be advised that Maxell sells two types of these discs ... I was unable to find any difference between the packages ... one is TY, the other is CMC ...

Really? Ouch.

I had two kinds of Maxell CD-R Pros both entirely different looking pakaging and disks (one had a blue top, the other one a gold one), but EAC identified both as TY. I'll have to watch out then.

R.I.P.

Reply #64
A box of Lead Data (cyanine) discs sold as Memorex 700MB. Burned between 2 and 4 years ago, most of them are now becoming unplayable towards the end of the disc.

Also one Princo disc, branded Boeder 650MB, burned ~5 years ago, worked fine at first but now barely recognisable in most players (although still mostly readable in the drive it was burned in).

All the above burned in a Ricoh MP-7040A.

R.I.P.

Reply #65
Do we have already  a thread for bad DVD+/-R (RW) media, then this post should be moved, please ?

or maybe a new thread for dvd media ?

I have DVD writer NEC 1300 A with FW 1.08 (is it the latest?) and was really satisfied with DVD+R 4x speed from Ricoh 01/02 (or how they are labelled, could copy it from DVD-Identifier window,) so far.

Those Ricoh +R 4x speed were sold by several brands, ie. Philips sic !, the pack of Verbatim I bought, (German Aldi Medion), Platinum.

So, after my 5 packs trials and the surprise, that nearly every brand sold same Ricoh,
I bought a 25 spindle Platinum from local dealer.
All 25 discs were fine.
Then I bought those Platinum 25 from somebody at ebay.
These discs cause trouble at some files, which are burnt in the middle of the disc.
files burnt at begin, or end, are fine.
Most files check fine. But not some in a place lets say 1/3 -1/2 of possible space of the 4.7 GB.
These bad results were reproduceable, I made a direct comaprison file per file after nero burning.

The check against other media, ie. the same Ricoh label, but brand Medion from Aldi, a 5 pack, was successful, no bad files after burning.

R.I.P.

Reply #66
Do we have already  a thread for bad DVD+/-R (RW) media, then this post should be moved, please ?

or maybe a new thread for dvd media ?

The K-Probe Scan Repository is a good place to vist for DVD+/-R(W) quality tests.

Scans are done using KProbe1/2 so if you own a Lite-on drive you can contribute,

(Overseer@SpeedLabs Inc.)
Accepting scans now. PNG scans take the least space so If you save them as PNG files then great but I will also accept jpg and bmp.

Scans will be placed on line as soon as possible. But I have everything up and running properly now, so send your scans in.

If you want there is a template on the site you can use to minimise the time used by me setting the page up, but I will gladly set them up if you dont/cant.

Also to help me place the correct info up when sending scans please provide this info:

*Your Nickname
*Brand of disk
*Media code (Manufacturer)
*Speed of disk
*+ or -
*Drive and what drive is OC to
*Firmware
*Patch Version
*Corresponding scan settings used for each kprobe scan.

RULES OF UPLOAD

1. Nothing that is Illegal!
2. K-Probe Scans in .png Format (can also be bmp/jpg)
3. Make a directory from your nickname eg Overseer directory would be named "overseer".
4. Place your .png images in the directory you have made.
5. To help me integrate them into the main site could you please place different lots of scans into a dif sub-directory eg. nickname/k1.. k2.. k3...
6. To also help me in intergrating them into the main site could you place a text file explaining the Media Used and some information about the drive used at the time eg. 411s@811s @ HSOK MKII.
7. Do not delete another persons files!

Enjoy People!

EMAIL YOUR SCANS AND INFO TO overseer@overseer.info

The quote is taken from speedlabs forums.

R.I.P.

Reply #67
I guess I've just been fortunate.  Most of my discs are Memorex CD-Rs and I've yet to have one die minus bad scratching.  Anything I think is valuable though gets burned onto at least 2 CDs.  Can't be too careful.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

R.I.P.

Reply #68
I solved the riddle easily, why my first Platinum DVD+R 4xspeed 25 spindle was fine, but not my following Platinum 25 spindle.

The fine Platinums were RicohJPN0102,
the bad Platinum DVD+R 4x media:  Ritek0102 !

Now i have Emtec (BASF) DVD+R 4x, a 25 spindle pack:
those are the fine RicohJPN0102  again,
and so not so surprisingly, the first written DVD checked ok.

Then I have some Verbatim DVD+R 4x in jewel case, the printable discs,
those are CMC , iirc as my check by dvdidentifier has shown.
Those checked fine, too, compare by bit content ok, but varying results by Nero tools cddvd speed read check.

iirc, Sony DVD+R 4x jewel case use CMC, too, and in past that medium checked ok for me, too.
edit addon:
I have read written by some german dvd experts, that the 25 pack spindle verbatim dvd+r 4x is normally CMC, and those aren't the best ?!  The Verbatim dvd+r MCC , Mitsubishi Chemicals, should be the best.
It might be confusing me, and I will check my Sony dvd+r later, if those were CMC or MCC.
Nevertheless, the current verbatim dvd+r 4x 25 pack spindle CMC, gave good result so far with my nec 1300a writer.
(well, reading ok, bit for bit, but after burning various DVDs, the nero tool speed check resulted to different results, some discs perfect reading, some discs readable (according to bit-to-bit-comparison, but the dvd drive had to slow down for reading in Nero-cd-dvd-speed-tool).

btw, according to recommended media list by NEC for my NEC 1300A:
Ricoh & MCC media...

Those pics at Kprobe page aren't easy to interpret?
I haven't invested a lot time to investigate. Is there a short precise description somewhere, how those scans can be interpreted ?

R.I.P.

Reply #69
Those pics at Kprobe page aren't easy to interpret?
I haven't invested a lot time to investigate. Is there a short precise description somewhere, how those scans can be interpreted ?

Check the new c't magazine coming out on Monday, they compare different quality testing methods: "Audiodev CATS DVD pro" hardware analyzer, CD-DVD Speed 3.01 on Nu Tech DW-082, KProbe 2.1 on Lite-On SOHW-832S and Plextools Pro 2.14 on PX-708A.

The conclusion about KProbe is that it's not consistent. Depending on the drive (different Lite-On models) you get completely different results that don't match the hardware analyzer's reference.

With CD-DVD speed, the results are depending more on the read speed that on the actual write quality, and again it's inconsistent among different drives.

Only Plextools give a rough estimation about quality, although the curves don't match with the Audiodev ones, but at least you could differentiate good and bad burns. It downplays the amount of errors, though.

R.I.P.

Reply #70
Hi!

I have KProbe tested 15 cd-r's burned from 1995 until now, and I get some interesting results. The ones that are more than 8 years old works just fine (but the green color is darker now I think). I tested the one that got worst results (189 C2 errors) in another program CD Check, and there it was no problem reading the full cd.

Well, if anyone is courius, here is the results... tests

(I ran xp in safe mode to get it to work right, but how much I tried, I couldn't read the manufacturer of any cd-r's I have, in either the LiteOn DVD-Rom or my Samsung CD burner... strange)

R.I.P.

Reply #71
The conclusion about KProbe is that it's not consistent. Depending on the drive (different Lite-On models) you get completely different results that don't match the hardware analyzer's reference.

Can you post a scan of this review? Most tests at CD freaks, Speedlabs etc. show pretty consistent results of which media performs well & which doesn't even if PI/PO levels may vary slightly depending the drive/firmware. It maybe a good idea to scan a pressed DVD with your drive to use as a reference.

R.I.P.

Reply #72
Can you post a scan of this review?

Sure, although it was more of a sidenote. The real test is about DVD+R double-layer burning at 2.4x (which works quite well) and conventional DVD+-R single-layer burning at 8x and above (which is a desaster).

Anyway, here are the graphs. Topmost is the reference scan of the Audiodev hardware analyzer, which is widely used in the industry. The red line is the PI Sum 8 limit, so you see that the third burned DVD is of even worse quality than the second one (different scale).

As for KProbe, you see that it shows a good quality for the first DVD, which is ok. It shows the second DVD as having bad quality, but the graph doesn't match the hardware tester. For the third burn, it attests a great quality, even though it's totally beyond spec in reality. Only with the Plextools you get a rough idea of the quality here.

[attachment=764:attachment]

R.I.P.

Reply #73
Anybody try MMobile Fidelity Sound Lab's new Ultradisc CD-R yet?

R.I.P.

Reply #74
I have some interesting results of CD-R's dating back as far as March 1995 which contradict some of PIO's results.
Will post ASAP.