Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HOWTO: foobar setup for explorer and directory condensed view (Read 5001 times) previous topic - next topic

HOWTO: foobar setup for explorer and directory condensed view

I posted this back in August of 2013. I just installed foobar and these two plugins and made it work in less than 5 minutes. VERY well worth the time and effort in my opinion! I wished this was a "standard basic" view that was built into foobar. I think there would be many more people using it.

This is excellent for people who have a lot of music organized by directory on their computer.

*** any updates to this step by step would be appreciated!***

Hopefully a useful installation guide to get "explorer view" or "directory view" of your mp3 collection in foobar
works on windows 7 and windows 8
foobar2000 v1.3 Dec 2013

first install Columns UI
direct link, probably best to go to the page and download the most recent version:
direct link as of august 2013
http://yuo.be/download/5108E9B7-356E-4561-...umns-0.3.8.8.7z

Columns UI
http://yuo.be/columns.php

COPY THE extracted .dll file to
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components

second install
http://ku.myftp.org/goods/foo_uie_explorer_2.04.8.7z
I think it's called UIE explorer

Here is the link that might have a more updated version. V 2.04.8 is what I have working.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=34207
anyways...
again copy the extracted file foo_uie_explorer.dll to the directory
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components

confirm that you have these two files:
foo_ui_columns.dll
foo_uie_explorer.dll
in the "components" directory

restart / start foobar2000

>VIEW > LAYOUT > LIVE EDITING (ON)
right click on everything and select "CLOSE"
You should end up with a very empty looking screen with no panels, except maybe the top and bottom.

Right Click in the big open area
>ADD PANEL > PANELS >"EXPLORER TREE"
<this will only be available if you have the two .dll files in the components directory and they are working...

>ADD PANEL > SPLITTERS > HORIZONTAL SPLITTER
<this will add a vertical bar

in the greyed out area, hopefully on the right hand side... right click
ADD PANEL > PLAYLIST VIEWS > COLUMNS PLAYLIST

A few last customizations which saves time...
>FILE >PREFERENCES *DISPLAY *Columns UI extensions *Explorer Tree Panel >DISPLAY
(SELECT) Select the latest selected path.
then... select the >FAVORITES tab
ADD the folder where all your mp3's are.
+ also make sure the BEHAVIOR is set for...
Show favorites as roots in the tree.

What the above will do is...
automatically open your mp3 folder (expanded) and NOT show any of the other directories from your computer

I really wished that foobar2000 did this by itself or that the steps weren't as convoluted... ohwell.

Reply #1
automatically open your mp3 folder (expanded) and NOT show any of the other directories from your computer

Does the view "by folder structure" in the album list not achieve the same thing in vanilla?

Reply #2

Does the view "by folder structure" in the album list not achieve the same thing in vanilla?

Indeed it does. I was about to post the same thing. You just need to add your music folders to the Library.

Reply #3

Indeed it does. I was about to post the same thing. You just need to add your music folders to the Library.

I've added my hierarchical music directory to the Library and selecting Library/Album List displays a pane with the folder structure that floats over Foobar. 

How do I get the contents of this pane into a Foobar panel? 

When I add a Panel/Album List it contains a flat alphabetically sorted list of all the music, not the folder structure.

Thanks!

Reply #4
Never mind, got it sorted! 

Can't see how to delete or edit my previous post.

Cheers