Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SandDisk Clip+ Audio problems (Read 7392 times) previous topic - next topic

SandDisk Clip+ Audio problems

I have a SandDisk Clip+ audio player.  I played some ogg files that I loaded on it. They play fine on the computer, but on the clip+ they have some irregularities. I'm not sure how to explain it; it sounds like little hiccups through the recording, like listening to a record and having the needle going across a scratch. Is anyne familiar with this player? I'm wondering if this is a problem with playing the ogg files.

Thanks

Reply #1
Rockbox or stock firmware?

I'm having this with flac files+rockbox actually. I thought maybe the compression was too much for it to handle, but even going down to lv5 doesn't fix it, and sometimes a file plays fine, then suddenly hiccups/skips the next time you play that track.
From what I saw on the net, it's an elusive issue they can't pinpoint, so no real fix there.

Reply #2
With the stock firmware I've listed to hundreds of hours of ogg vorbis files on the Clip+ and never heard a problem. All files were -q5 or -q6. Some were encoded using OggEnc, most using Lancer. I've used both the Clip+ internal memory, and a microSD card. All were in the podcasts directory (mostly speech, some music, none were actual downloaded podcasts).

However, my Clip+ did crash occasionally (about twice a month when used every day) when entering the podcast list - I always assumed some file was corrupt somewhere, but never tracked it down. All the files played OK.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
another clip+/rockbox user here. sorry but i refuse to use the original firmware.   

i use vorbis @ q5 (and mp3) and it's been pretty much flawless. the player has locked up a few times requiring a long press on power to shut it down but i've never had any sound glitches.

Reply #4
I have a SandDisk Clip+ audio player.  I played some ogg files that I loaded on it. They play fine on the computer, but on the clip+ they have some irregularities. I'm not sure how to explain it; it sounds like little hiccups through the recording, like listening to a record and having the needle going across a scratch. Is anyne familiar with this player? I'm wondering if this is a problem with playing the ogg files.

Are you using the microSD card slot?

I suspect that the Clip+ and its brandmate Fuze are among the most widely used portable players around.

Very popular among people posting on this forum. Almost all perform flawlessly as regards to the issue that is afflicting you. I have one of each and they are IME just fine with stock firmware.

Reply #5
I'm also using clip+ and rockbox 3.13, and experiencing random failures when trying to play songs  placed in Micro SD via custom playlist.
When I select the playlist and try to play it, the attempt randomly fails with relatively high possibility.
Sometimes with a message "Error accessing playlist control file" or something like that.
Sometimes it silently fails without message, and just continues skipping to the next song.
Sometimes shuffle play from playlist just silently quits in the middle, when switching to next song.
Playlist I'm using contains less than 1400 entries, which I don't think not quite big (Max Playlist Size is unchanged from default, and is set to 10000).

Reply #6
The audio problems occur whether I use a micro card or not. I tried playing some ogg files today and I found that the songs that I had the problems with were encoded at 192 Kbps; 175 Kbps or less was OK. I also had problems with the player crashing the last couple days, as well it took a while to start and switch between songs at times: 20 secs or so; not sure at which encoding or whether the micro card was installed. I was thinking about sending the player for an exchange, but am not sure if that would help.

Are there any other players that support ogg that are economical, or are there rockbox builds that would fix the problem?

Thanks

Reply #7
Are there any other players that support ogg that are economical, or are there rockbox builds that would fix the problem?

Are you using rockbox or the sandisk firmware?  Both firmwares use the same decoder, however the rockbox one is more up to date and heavily patched, so its generally a lot more compatible.

That said, putting things like large album art in vorbis will break playback on most portable devices. 

Reply #8
What is considered large? I'm using 500x500jpeg with 80% quality for all my files.
Does the same thing apply for flac? I'd like to fix my playback issues with it as it's really annoying to suddenly get a glitch that is about 10dB higher than the music. Ends up startling me and earns me weird glances from the people <.<

Reply #9
can you not just strip all album art from the files? the clip can't make any use of it. presumably you have original copies on your pc/backup hard drive that you don't have to touch.

Reply #10
I have no issues with Vorbis on the Sandisk clip+

Both rockboxed and not.

I use Vorbis at q2 and generally the files have album art embedded and I pay virtually no heed to the size of the art. No problems, ever.

Reply #11
can you not just strip all album art from the files? the clip can't make any use of it. presumably you have original copies on your pc/backup hard drive that you don't have to touch.
About the only reason why I'm putting flac on clip+ is because that way I just copy the files over and don't have to bother with tags/replaygain/clip's bandwidth limits when converting files to it. I also doubt it's cause by the artwork in my case, especially because files play fine on one playthrough, then suddenly skip/glitch on another.

Maybe the clip+ I have has some slight hardware differences so people with older ones are not affected?

Reply #12
Random corruption sounds like issues with storage or memory.  If you're using an SD card, try the internal memory.

Reply #13
I have problems with the audio whether I have the micro installed or not. I am not sure what album art is, so I don't think that is the problem. I have some flac files and don't have problems playing them.

Reply #14
Still getting file skips (but no glitches so far) on the internal memory now. The files all check out fine with foobar's integrity file checking though.

Reply #15
I tried using the original firmware, and there are no skips so far, on the same files rockbox is still skipping. It's definitely something rockbox-related. I saw a bug report about it, but it seems to be collecting dust, as well as the related forum thread on the rockbox forums.

Now I have to decide between ReplayGain not working (stock) or files skipping (rockbox). Frustrating.

Reply #16

Thanks

sansa clip zip?
Noticing zero problems with mine so far on newest Rockbox git.

Reply #17
Though note there is that warning about unconfirmed deaths which made the zip port of rockbox lose it's stable status from what I see.

Reply #18
^source? 

the zip is listed as stable with no issues on all these pages...

http://www.rockbox.org/
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetStatus
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

edit: there is mention of USB being a bit dodgy on the SansaAMS page. it's never been 100% on my clip+ either. sometimes it will take another attempt for my computer to recognise it if it fails first time but all this pales into insignificance when you consider how long the original firmware database refresh takes when you disconnect.

Reply #19
Though note there is that warning about unconfirmed deaths which made the zip port of rockbox lose it's stable status from what I see.

The zip used to be unstable because the manual hadn't been finished. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

Reply #20
Ah, I'm sorry. I confused it with the Fuze+ warning  here