Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.0.5 beta1 released (Read 14103 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.0.5 beta1 released

Reply #25
it was meant for debugging purposes only. xmms-like infobox (working for not-currently-playing-files) will come later.

Reply #26
source is here: http://x-fixer.narod.ru/tmp/in_flac_src.zip
Most excellent, I'll check it out tonight.

For anyone following this, I've checked in X-Fixer's patches to CVS and it will be in upcoming flac 1.0.5 beta2, along with other fixes (correctly formatted replaygain tags, building on OS X, etc.).

On another note, does anyone have any samples of 24bps, 48kHz and/or 96kHz material, preferably music?  I want to do some final tuning on the encoder.

Josh

Reply #27
There are some 24 bit and 96 KHz samples at http://www.pcabx.com , search through the various test samples.

Reply #28
would be great if someone test 24bit playback in winamp2 (or xmms) plug-in.

Reply #29
would be great if someone test 24bit playback in winamp2 (or xmms) plug-in.

...on a 24-bit card we mean, since neither of us have one.  24bit-to-16bit conversion seems to be OK.

Josh

Reply #31
Do you have any deeper links?

Try these, Josh. They were supposedly designed for testing the Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe Sound Card with PCABX. (Not the most intuitive site I've ever seen, by a stretch!)

- M.

Reply #33
On another note, does anyone have any samples of 24bps, 48kHz and/or 96kHz material, preferably music?  I want to do some final tuning on the encoder.

I have a ton of 24/96 material; whole albums of jazz, classical and popular music. I would be happy to create a sampler CD-R and mail it to you if you would find it useful. I suspect that this would be better for tuning than anything else.

Reply #34
I have a ton of 24/96 material; whole albums of jazz, classical and popular music.

Well, I for one am jealous. Especially when it comes to the jazz.   

- M.

Reply #35
Not sure how useful adding the cue sheet to the flac *currently* is. I've used flac for a long time. However, I do like the convenience that APE provides with EAC. Ripping directly to cue+ape and then writing those onto CDROMs. You can pop the CDROM in later and directly write a new audio CD from the data CD. Currently I have to manually unflac, copy the cue file to disc, edit it to point to the extracted wav and then burn. I'd love the ape functionality with flac, because archiving stuff in ape format makes me a little wary. I'm gonna be able to extract the flac stuff forever, but I'm not so sure about the ape files. Although, I guess what I'm asking for is an organised bothering of Andre until he adds native flac support. Ahh, happy days
  BTW Josh, thanks again for your continued great work.
  Cheers.

Reply #36
Not sure how useful adding the cue sheet to the flac *currently* is.

It's slightly more useful than a cuesheet (once other apps start using it that is) since it also knows about the size of the lead in and so apps can automatically calculate more complicated CD TOC hashes (like CDindex) automatically from it.

I'd love the ape functionality with flac, because archiving stuff in ape format makes me a little wary. I'm gonna be able to extract the flac stuff forever, but I'm not so sure about the ape files. Although, I guess what I'm asking for is an organised bothering of Andre until he adds native flac support. Ahh, happy days

I'm not sure what's holding back on EAC.  Maybe 1.0.5 will make it easier since there will be a nice tidy libFLAC.dll and MSVC project files to build everything.

Josh

Reply #37
I have a ton of 24/96 material; whole albums of jazz, classical and popular music.

Well, I for one am jealous. Especially when it comes to the jazz.   

- M.

Yeah, I've got some classics like Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, John Coltrane's Blue Train, and Freddie Hubbard's Open Sesame.

But I don't know why you're jealous. They can't sound any better than regular CDs, right!? 

Reply #38
Yeah, I've got some classics like Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, John Coltrane's Blue Train, and Freddie Hubbard's Open Sesame.

But I don't know why you're jealous. They can't sound any better than regular CDs, right!?  

Driftin' severely off-topic here... hope they'll forgive us. 

Well, I'll let others argue whether or not 24/96 can actually sound better; I've got my own opinions on the subject, but it's best not to subject others to something that's already over-argued in the first place. Suffice it to say that a well-mastered audio CD can sound exceptional, and a 24/96 digital transfer can document aspects of the original tape that most folks wouldn't have even considered trying to preserve. Sometimes they're better lost, at that.

I've bought Blue Train three separate times already on CD... don't ask how many vinyl issues I owned, at one point! The original "el cheapo" Blue Note issue, the MFSL Ultradisc II gold CD, and the "complete" Blue Note remaster with bonus/alternate takes. But I had to get that last one to complement the complete Prestige box, and the complete Atlantic box, and the complete classic quartet studio recordings on Impulse, and the complete Live in Japan...

Yes, I'm a sick, sick ol' addict. Pass the Africa/Brass sessions, please....

- M.

Josh Coalson: If you can convince Andre Wiethoff to add support for burning from FLAC in Exact Audio Copy, please do. I never could figure out why APE was the only lossless format supported....

Reply #40
http://x-fixer.narod.ru/tmp/in_flac.zip

updated version. includes title formatting and working infobox.
don't forget to send a bug report

Very nice.

How about adding support for displaying "non-standard" tags? I have lots of Asian music which I intend to tag with two different tags for the tracknames. First the standard trackname with a transcribed song name, but also a "original-trackname" with the song name written with Chinese/Korean/Thai/Japanese characters. I'd like to be able too see them too. It would be very nice if you could do just that...

Reply #41
that's planned, but for now I doubt that you'll see national characters at all.

Reply #42
By the way, the compression ratio is a bit wrong when you display the file info. A file which has been compressed 40% to 60% of it's original size displays the compression ratio as 60% and not 40%. APE has the same thing. It has always annoyed me and I hardly think I'm the only one... (Or at least I hope I ain't... )

Displaying the ReplayGain value could be kinda' useful too. At least it has some "coolness factor"...

P.S. Perhaps you should name "comment" to "description" instead? Since you're using "DESCRIPTION" as the tag name for comment. (Or make it the other way around...)

Reply #43
By the way, the compression ratio is a bit wrong when you display the file info. A file which has been compressed 40% to 60% of it's original size displays the compression ratio as 60% and not 40%. APE has the same thing. It has always annoyed me and I hardly think I'm the only one... (Or at least I hope I ain't... )

No, you're not the only one. But I think you just got used to the way that WavPack does it. 

M: Haha! You sound like me and Kind Of Blue!

Reply #44
infobox tries to mimic the one in xmms plug-in. and it tries to look like ID3 editor, I guess, so you get "comment". also, there is not standard on what to call "compression ratio": (compressed/uncompressed) or (1 - compressed/uncompressed). I personally prefer the first one, and it also seems to be used more often (and it's used in xmms plug-in).

and replaygain will come with other special fields in vorbis comment.

and I forgot to say that infobox uses file genres.txt in winamp folder to store genres list (like in_vorbis does).

Reply #45
Is there any way of output a wave file with adjusted volume level from an encoded FLAC file with ReplayGain calculated and stored using the FLAC "codec"...? Like when you apply volume adjustments to wave files with WaveGain, but this is done directly with FLAC when decoding back to wave...

Reply #46
Is there any way of output a wave file with adjusted volume level from an encoded FLAC file with ReplayGain calculated and stored using the FLAC "codec"...? Like when you apply volume adjustments to wave files with WaveGain, but this is done directly with FLAC when decoding back to wave...

Nope, I'm pretty hesitant to add any functionality that is lossy to the command-line tools.  I just know something bad will come of it.

You should probably be able to do this with an output plugin in winamp2/xmms.

Josh

Reply #47
Seems like there is something wrong with the plugin over at http://x-fixer.narod.ru/tmp/in_flac.zip
at least with flac 1.0.4 files, when i use it in winamp the %artist% gets all wrong ...

using the default formating stuff in the flac plugin ( [%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,%filename%) )

it gives me this output in the winamp window:
"Masmiseim (bass) - Till We Meet Again"

not QUITE what i want 

should say "Samael - Till We Meet Again"

(i'll provide the output of tag to show what i mean)

it's a flac 1.0.4 (20020924) file

c:\test.flac
Format:  FLAC
Details: 44100 Hz Stereo, 1047 kbps, playtime 04:11
Tag:    FLAC
Title:  Till We Meet Again
Artist:  Samael
Album:  Ceremony of Opposites
Year:
Track:  04
Genre:
Comment:
released=1994
Subtitle=Original
sourcemedia=CD
charset=ISO8859-1
location=Switzerland
language=English
ensemble=Samael
performer=Vorphalack (vocals, guitar)
performer=Xytras (drums, keyboards)
performer=Masmiseim (bass)

Reply #48
that's how vorbiscomment is processed now. this will be hopefully changed in future.

btw, what charset is doing here? vorbiscomment should be in utf-8.

Reply #49
X-fixer, i have no idea, that is a *.flac file i got the info from....