Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7 (Read 316082 times) previous topic - next topic

BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7

Reply #175
So I take it your system doesnt like the sound driver updates in 3.2 regarding xaudio and dsound then X_X

Reply #176
So I take it your system doesnt like the sound driver updates in 3.2 regarding xaudio and dsound then X_X

I'm guessing that's it... those updates in v3.2.

Reply #177
looks like I have to bust out the debugger and VM for this, whats your sound card?

Reply #180
Tried it on a vanilla XP SP3 implementation, crashes.

Looks to crash right in the Xaudio2 destructor, after XAudio2Create call fails for some weird reason. Which hard locks the MIDI synthesis thread.

EDIT: This might sound odd, but tried updating your DirectX? Fixed the problem here in my VM doing that.

ty, zao for C++ term semantics >_>

Reply #183
Hi Everybody,

I tried MASSMIDISynth GS/XG Scale Tuning System Exclusive Messages.
All notes are correctly pitched except the B :

Scale Tuning B : F0 43 10 4C 08 00 4C Cents F7 (Cents from 00 to 7F)

If you can test it please.

Thanks

Ian has made an update to fix this issue, you can download it in here:
http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bassmidi.zip

Reply #184
Fixed the issue, uploaded here: http://kode54.foobar2000.org/bassmididrv.exe

That seemed to do it, guys... no more crashing

I still had to go through my "voodoo ritual" detailed previously to sort out all of the registry/device manager stuff, but after sorting it out everything seemed to be working just fine

One thing that I noticed though... this version 3.3 seems to have a little more latency compared to the older version 3.1 of the driver. My previous latency tests were:

0.052 for versions 1.x and 3.1
0.110 for versions 2.x

...and for this newer version 3.3, 0.088.

0.088 seconds of latency is almost the same as the Yamaha S-YXG50 WDM driver (0.090 seconds), and is fairly close to what you posted previously, Kode54:

Quote from: kode54 link=msg=0 date=
The latency of both the BASSMIDI and VSTi drivers is hard coded at 80ms for XAudio2 and 100ms for DirectSound.

Nevertheless, it now almost borderlines on not being too useful for real-time performance. Any idea as to what would cause the differences in latency of version 3.1 compared to version 3.3 of the driver?

Reply #185
Guys,

You should really have a look at this message thread over at the Synthesia forums (page 7 and page 8 of the thread):

https://www.synthesiagame.com/forum/viewtop...5&start=120
https://www.synthesiagame.com/forum/viewtop...5&start=140

...requarding the copyrights of the BASSMIDI Driver, and that "other" guy.

My concern for y'all is that the author of Synthesia just MIGHT be thinking about some sort of commercial license for that "other" guy's BASSMIDI audio library derived softsynth (to include it with an upcoming version of his "Synthesia" program).

https://www.synthesiagame.com/forum/viewtop...=latency#p26860

Note that Nicholas (the author of Synthesia) is a good guy, and quite concerned about copyrights and such, so I figured that y'all might wanna know

Reply #186
Claudio already discussed with me about open sourcing it. Which to me is also a good idea.

We already discussed differences between our software and in hindsight, it was all just a massive coincidence. And I apologised to him for blaming him the first time. I admit I was pretty mad the first time, but now we are on speaking terms.

As for a custom build and license of the driver for his software, I have no objections. We did this before for a company, and I don't think kode54 also has a objection to similar one-off payments for code. Just means we have to work out a licensing agreement with the party that we both agree with. But one thing is for certain: the driver code itself is not subject to bundling of BASS license fees, which means any author wanting to license our code, also needs to buy a seperate BASS license.

Reply #187
Thanks for the detailed info, Mudlord, as I almost  pulled an 'insert foot in mouth' sort of moment over there LOL

As far as a license, I'm now thinking that Nicholas may have been refering to the Coolsoft driver in this message thread -> https://www.synthesiagame.com/forum/viewtop...=latency#p26860 , due to it (supposedly) being lower latency.

I remember reading something over there (I forget which message thread that it was) about some sort of "buffer" setting in the Coolsoft driver that allowed for almost nill latency... but (as a non-coder) I know nothing about the mechanics behind that.

Reply #189
Nope, that's not it. The problem is, when I doubled the samples per frame count in driver initialization, I forgot to halve the frame counts, so I doubled the latency. Things should be fine now.

I also updated BASSMIDI.

http://kode54.foobar2000.org/bassmididrv.exe

Reply #191
I gave it a whirl. It installed without a hitch... short of my 'voodoo ritual' that i had to do again LOL! I'm chalking up those problems as simply 'my PC' <grin>.

Anyhow, no problems or crashes, everything seems to be woking just fine  Although, after a few tests it appears that the latency is about the same as version 3.3 of the diver (approx. 0.088 seconds).

Reply #192
Hello! I've to send you a very sincere and deep thank you for your making of bass midi driver! It has resurrected my interest in making music with my soundblaster X-FI. Since it has a very problematic hardware synth that doesn't respond well with many controls, including Chorus. Your software has restored my computer's ability to sound RIGHT with all my soundfonts. Man.... you're the long-awaited solution!

After some testing, I've found that the controller 0 doesn't change the bank. Bank selection doesn't work in the current version. Also, the midi driver configuration master volume bar doesn't work in Win 7 (but that doesn't matter as much as bank selection). Also, whenever I change the soundfont list, I need to restart my cakewalk 9 to make it take effect.

BTW, 16 channels are usually more than enough, but could you give it 1 more port to make it 32 channels, just like the soundblaster hardware synth?

Thanks a lot. I can't state it enough!

Reply #193
BTW, 16 channels are usually more than enough, but could you give it 1 more port to make it 32 channels, just like the soundblaster hardware synth?

Ditto to that feature request/suggestion

I think it would be extremely cool and handy if the BASSMIDI Driver provided 2-4 ports... something similar to a Sound Blaster Live's two hardware synthesizer ports:

SB Live! Synth A [CF20]
SB Live! Synth B [CF20]

Something like:

BASSMIDI Driver Synth A
BASSMIDI Driver Synth B

Reply #194
How does that work out when you sequence?

do you have to select more than 1 synthesiser instance?

Reply #195
When I sequence with SBLive! or X-Fi, it actually has 2 ports like
SB Live! Synth A [CF20]
SB Live! Synth B [CF20]

Then in cakewalk, I select both ports as output ports and both as soundfont devices. Then I can allocate tracks to each of them, which contains 16 channels each.

p.s. Please fix the bank select. This is important. 

How does that work out when you sequence?

do you have to select more than 1 synthesiser instance?

Reply #196
Did you send a GS reset in your MIDIs?

Reply #197
Did you send a GS reset in your MIDIs?

You mean for bank select? Let me try now.....

No effect. Still can't change bank regardless of using cakewalk track control or event in the track.

Reply #198
For your information, I use Win7, SB X-Fi titanium and cakewalk pro audio 9. I can select bank with X-Fi's hardware synth but can't with bassmidi driver.

Reply #199
Does the bank select work with XMPlay MIDI plug-in?