Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Single file audio CD backup Howto (Read 81514 times) previous topic - next topic

Single file audio CD backup Howto

Reply #50
You could technically do the 4 CDs into a single MKA file.  The 'proper' way to do it though would be to have an audio track for each CD, and break up songs by chapters as chapters can be applied to individual tracks instead of the whole file.  However, I am not really sure if the fb2k plugin would like this at all.

I fully agree with Pamel here, the proper way to get a 4 CD album into a single MKA file would be to create 4 separate audio tracks in the MKA file ( similar to the video files with separate tracks for each language ).

Only the fb2k plugin must be updated, so that it will allow to select the right audio track.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228599"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ignoring it not working with the fb2k plugin (yet), how would I tie different chapter xml files to different tracks in mkvmerge gui?  Would this be through timecodes (but that looks for text files, not not xml files, so I assume that's for something different).

Reply #51
You could technically do the 4 CDs into a single MKA file.  The 'proper' way to do it though would be to have an audio track for each CD, and break up songs by chapters as chapters can be applied to individual tracks instead of the whole file.  However, I am not really sure if the fb2k plugin would like this at all.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't agree with you: to have 4 tracks would mean that the mka file will have a 4 time superior bitrate. 4 Tracks is only useful if you want to play this track in parellel and easily switch from one to an other and that's not what we want here:

4 tracks :

Track 1: |----disc1/song1----|----disc1/song2----|----...
Track 2: |----disc2/song1----|----disc2/song2----|----...
Track 3: |----disc3/song1----|----disc3/song2----|----...
Track 4: |----disc4/song1----|----disc4/song2----|----...

and we want :

Track: ||----disc1/song1----|----disc1/song2----|...||----disc2/song1----|----disc2/song2----|...||----disc3/song1----|----...

So to do it, we have to happend the audio files of the 4 discs to get a big audio file.
This big audio file will be used as an audio track is the mka file.
The mka file will have 4 "EditionEntry", one for each disc.
Each "EditionEntry" will have a "MEDIA_PART" tag according to [a href="http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html]http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html[/url]

This way we can have a whole CDs set in a single mka file 

Reply #52
I have been successful in creating the images. getting the MKA file to open in foobat as seperate tracks, but.
I acnt see the option in foobar to change the tags the way that is mentioned in the opening post. Help please, what might I be missing.

Found the answer Ta

Reply #54
OMG!!!!  I'm so irritated with this matroska file I have.    I've managed to extract the attachments but that's it.  I'm going to post a small example of the output of mkvinfo, and ask for some help with the commands to extract the files:

Code: [Select]
|+ Chapters
| + EditionEntry
|  + EditionFlagHidden: 0
|  + EditionFlagDefault: 0
|  + EditionUID: 3626658787
|  + ChapterAtom
|   + ChapterUID: 404548193
|   + ChapterTimeStart: 00:00:00.000000000
|   + ChapterFlagHidden: 0
|   + ChapterFlagEnabled: 1
|   + ChapterPhysicalEquiv: 20
|   + ChapterDisplay
|    + ChapterString: The Artist - Track 01
|    + ChapterLanguage: eng
|   + ChapterAtom
|    + ChapterUID: 2169528417
|    + ChapterTimeStart: 00:00:00.000000000
|    + ChapterFlagHidden: 1
|    + ChapterFlagEnabled: 1
|    + ChapterPhysicalEquiv: 10
|    + ChapterDisplay
|     + ChapterString: INDEX 01
|     + ChapterLanguage: eng
|  + ChapterAtom
|   + ChapterUID: 2477706610
|   + ChapterTimeStart: 00:00:44.800000000
|   + ChapterFlagHidden: 0
|   + ChapterFlagEnabled: 1
|   + ChapterPhysicalEquiv: 20
|   + ChapterDisplay
|    + ChapterString: The Artist - Track 02
|    + ChapterLanguage: eng

I've tried to apply the examples in the documentation to the values I get here, but apparently I'm doing it wrong somehow.  What command would I use to rip track 01?  Is there a command to rip all tracks?

By the way, it is supposedly encoded in flac, if that matters.

Reply #55
Ok, made some progress.  Don't ask about the error, it was stupid.  Here is my new situation:
Code: [Select]
mkvextract tracks  file.mka 404548193:01.flac --no-ogg
progress: 100%

so it looks like it worked, but there is no file with the name "01.flac".  In fact, no new file was created at all!  is there something wrong with my command?

Reply #56

I fully agree with Pamel here, the proper way to get a 4 CD album into a single MKA file would be to create 4 separate audio tracks in the MKA file ( similar to the video files with separate tracks for each language ).

Only the fb2k plugin must be updated, so that it will allow to select the right audio track.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228599"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ignoring it not working with the fb2k plugin (yet), how would I tie different chapter xml files to different tracks in mkvmerge gui?  Would this be through timecodes (but that looks for text files, not not xml files, so I assume that's for something different).

Interested in this my self, adding 2 flac cd images, worked flawlessly.  Changing between 1st or 2nd cd simple in VLC, via audio -> audio track
but using global tab in mkvmerge and putting one cuesheet as global chapter marker no go. 
In VLC guessing the secret lies in the Playback -> Navigation -> Segment x
Not sure how to set chapter codes for 2nd, 3rd, ... Nth audio tracks seperatly