Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hydrogenaudio Server Switch (Read 122334 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydrogenaudio Server Switch

Hi all,

as many of you have noticed HA has been getting annoying slow as of late. An increasing userbase combined with the forum itself containing more and more content has caused us to outgrow our current server. The administrators have been slowly working to set up a new, more powerful server to make HA usable once again. Together with the server move, we will also update the forum software to add a bunch of new features and bugfixes. Our looks will also change slightly and offer a more readable and professional style.

It is possible that at first some things will not work correctly on the new server, or some features that you are used to might be missing. We will try to resolve such issues in the coming weeks.

Next monday, we will shut down the forum and wiki and start moving. We hope that this process will be finished in a day or two. So, expect us to be back around Wednesday.

The HydrogenAudio admins

Reply #1
Hi all,

as many of you have noticed HA has been getting annoying slow as of late. An increasing userbase combined with the forum itself containing more and more content has caused us to outgrow our current server. The administrators have been slowly working to set up a new, more powerful server to make HA usable once again. Together with the server move, we will also update the forum software to add a bunch of new features and bugfixes. Our looks will also change slightly and offer a more readable and professional style.

It is possible that at first some things will not work correctly on the new server, or some features that you are used to might be missing. We will try to resolve such issues in the coming weeks.

Thank for keeping us informed of the updates with the server. It has slowed down considerable in the last six months and I am sure these upgrades are well worth the time. It's good to finally see an announcement. I hope the transition goes well for you and the other admins! Thanks again.
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
Out of curiosity, are you keeping IPB or are you switching to another software? Guess another software would be difficult since the existing data would have to be transferred to another format.

Reply #3
The administrators have been slowly working to set up a new, more powerful server to make HA usable once again.

In my PC upgrade last year I tried to be power efficient. As this subject is much more an issue in the server environment I would be interested in more details.

Do you mind to drop a line or two about the power efficiency of the new server ?

Reply #4
Sebastian Mares: IPB again, only upgrading to a newer version.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #5
Do you mind to drop a line or two about the power efficiency of the new server ?

I read more powerful ... not more power efficient.

Reply #6
Our looks will also change slightly and offer a more readable and professional style.

You know, some of us already got a preview of what's coming, at least I got an email notification of a new post to "HA slow, now messages don't appear?" thread in your test server some time ago (IIRC, it was your "test" post). The updated IPB looked very nice. Good job. Thank you. Fingers crossed that everything goes right with the move.

Reply #7
It surely is faster than before. Thank you. Can't wait to see new upgrades of forum software.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #8
I read more powerful ... not more power efficient.

Yes. I´m not implying that, just asking.

In my case, for example, I have an athlon 64 x2 4000+.
Having an AM2+ motherboard I can get several more powerful CPUs right now but among them there is the athlon 64 x2 4850e. It is both, more powerful (2500 x 2100 MHz) and more efficient (45 x 65W). In case it´s powerful enough, why not to consider it ?

Do you mean that there isn´t such a CPU/motherboard scenery in the server side ?

Reply #9
Out of curiosity, are you keeping IPB or are you switching to another software? Guess another software would be difficult since the existing data would have to be transferred to another format.

I do not think the database is the real problem, since most other forum software has (paid for) converters from IPB. We're keeping IPB though since it's the path of least resistance (I do not really have a lot of time to set up something new entirely), I already have the license for it, we have some good customizations for it, and we know it deals fairly well with big forums.

I was not so hot with upgrading IPB earlier, but the new versions had several features which were actually very interesting for us (improved security & speed, reCAPTCHA).

Do you mean that there isn´t such a CPU/motherboard scenery in the server side ?

Not really for a community our size. We use a dedicated server, where the hoster provides the hardware, rather than a colocation, where we provide the hardware. It seems this currently gets us the best price and least hassle for the hardware we need. I also require a hoster which is at least reasonably well-known, lest we get some unpleasant surprise on that side.

The hosters who invested in energy-efficient equipment are also the ones who can provide good prices now, though. So to answer your question: I'm quite sure our new machine has much more performance/watt than the old one, and its definitely worth to invest in energy-efficiency on the server side.

Reply #10
Our looks will also change slightly and offer a more readable and professional style.

You know, some of us already got a preview of what's coming, at least I got an email notification of a new post to "HA slow, now messages don't appear?" thread in your test server some time ago (IIRC, it was your "test" post)

Damn, you caught me

Reply #11
Thank you for the time and effort you and the other admins/mods are putting into this move. I hope it goes smoothly.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #12
Thank you for the time and effort you and the other admins/mods are putting into this move. I hope it goes smoothly.

+1! All my best wishes!

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #13
I think this is a good time to re-up with a donation, it's been a while, but I am looking forward to the new features and server speed (just please don't add those search verification measures, they are so annoying!).  After some digging I finally found the direct link to donate to HA (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/upload/donation_redirect.html). Not a whole lot, but here's my $20.

Reply #14
If you read this, you're on the new server. Welcome!

Reply #17
HA forum seems to be OK for me. Thanks everybody. I will donate too asap (in real hurry now...)
foobar2000 forum still on the old platform? It doesn't redirect to ha.sjeng.org for me. Is this OK?

Ciao a tutti!

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #18
Ooooh, shiny!

Reply #19
Cool a new server, and a new layout. The new layout seems to feel more faster when scrolling.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #20
Thank you for migrating to new servers and updating the site's UI.  hydrogenaudio was getting annoyingly slow.  The site seems to load much faster (even though I am sure the server move is not complete since it is only Monday) and the new interface looks much better.  I am working on a 15" Pentium M tablet PC and the threads are much easier to read on this small screen (it is small as I migrated over from a 22" iMac).  Thanks to everyone who makes these forums possible.

Reply #21
I see nice fonts with the default Firefox settings under suse linux. Much more readable...

Reply #22
Wow! This looks so much better to my eyes, and it goes like hot flaming stink! Thanks for all your efforts in getting this done, guys. Excellent job! 

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #23
I see nice fonts with the default Firefox settings under suse linux. Much more readable...

No need to be sarcastic when things do look much better and posts are easier to read.  This is an improvement over the old layout which has been the same for quite a bit of time.

Reply #24
nice design and speed! thanks for your work.