Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: my headphones louder in right ear than in left (Read 76750 times) previous topic - next topic

my headphones louder in right ear than in left

My Sure SE210 headphones are noticeable faint in the left ear and I'm wondering if this is normal or if the phones have a defect. I get the same problem on my computer and two different mp3 players, so I know it's not the source causing the problem. Is this just the way this model works, or should I get a new pair?

-cej

Reply #1
Try your headphones on a mono-source so that both sides should have the same volume. Also try to wear the headphones reversed to check if it's not your ear which is the problem.

If the difference is still there, it's a problem of the headphones.

Reply #2
Try your headphones on a mono-source so that both sides should have the same volume. Also try to wear the headphones reversed to check if it's not your ear which is the problem.

If the difference is still there, it's a problem of the headphones.

Thanks for your reply. I did wear them reversed to make sure I didn't have a hearing problem I wasn't aware of and (after much anxiety!) found that the right headphone sounded just as loud in my left ear, and the left phone was faint in my right.

I'm an audio newbie--not sure how to get a mono-source. Is this something I can set Windows to do, or my new Cowon D2 pmp?

Reply #3
Interestingly, I have exactly the same problem with my Sennheiser CX300s. First noticed it over Christmas and it's kind of annoying. They are a year or two old but they haven't had all that much use

Reply #4
I have this issue with my Etys but it really is hearing loss. My ear canals are shaped differently, leading to different sensitivities at low frequencies. It's not audible in any other situation (even with circumaural headphones!) - just when things are shoved into my ears.

Talk to Shure about it. Anything beyond a couple dB deviation (if that) ought to be a defect.

Reply #5
I'm an audio newbie--not sure how to get a mono-source.
That isn't necessary.  Since you are getting the same problem on 3 different devices, that confirms a problem with the headphones. 

If they are out of warranty, the  Shure website says the flat-rate repair cost is $68 USD including return shipping.

P.S.
If you do send a note to Shure, tell 'em that you've tried them on different devices and worn them reversed.

Reply #6
Just a thought...

Have they always been like this, or is it recent? 

I'm not sure of the design of the Shure's but my Ety's are vulnerable to being clogged, or partially clogged with earwax, or other other debris.

*edit* -spelling

Reply #7
I have also had the problem of earwax causing a problem in one ear.
Glass half full!

Reply #8
Opps, redundant info. Goodluck with your headphones. Hope it is something easy.

(mono-source would be something not recorded in stereo.)

Reply #9
Have they always been like this, or is it recent?
It's always been like this for me, but it's only particularly noticeable with IEMs.

Reply #10
I've had the phones for about 2.5 years but only noticed this problem a few months ago. Although it's very noticeable (now that I'm aware of it) it's possible that they've always been that way. I bought them on ebay (which I've since learned to avoid) so maybe they were just a returned pair re-packaged as new. I'm sure it's not an earwax thing, as I clean them regularly, and the difference in volume level is too significant for that to be the cause. I think it's just a bad pair. Maybe I'll go for that $68 flat rate repair from Sure, or maybe try a new brand. In any case thanks for all your replies, it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem!

-cej

Reply #11
For anyone having the problem with any pair of in-ear earphones (Shure SE210,Sennheiser CX-300, etc), the problem, as mentioned above, is most likely from clogged earwax. The best way I have found to clean it out (on my pair of CX-300s) is to use the sharp part of a safety pin to scratch it all off of the surface of the earphones. Hope this helps.

Edit: also make sure you regularly clean your ears .
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"