Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quality loss converting 320kbps mp3 to ogg? (Read 9151 times) previous topic - next topic

Quality loss converting 320kbps mp3 to ogg?

As my music collection is starting to take up a lot of space, and doesn't fit on my smartphone anymore I was thinking of converting only my 320kbps MP3s to ogg vorbis 128kbps or 192kbps.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality loss when doing this? I don't have high-end stereo equipment that I'll be playing the resultant Vorbis files on, just computer speakers, tv speakers and in-ear earphones on my smartphone

Reply #1
As my music collection is starting to take up a lot of space, and doesn't fit on my smartphone anymore I was thinking of converting only my 320kbps MP3s to ogg vorbis 128kbps or 192kbps.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality loss when doing this? I don't have high-end stereo equipment that I'll be playing the resultant Vorbis files on, just computer speakers, tv speakers and in-ear earphones on my smartphone

Im sure you cannot tell the difference of a 128/192kbps vorbis created from a 320kbps MP3 and a 128/192kbps vorbis created from CD.
So it's only the question if you like 128/192 vorbis.

Reply #2

For portable listening on a phone, even 128kbps Vorbis might be a bit much.  FWIW before flash memory got cheap I'd transcode all my high bitrate Lame VBR files to 90kbps AAC to listen on the go.  Maybe not transparent under careful listening with difficult to encode samples, but not really something I noticed with real music in traffic . . .

Reply #3
Use Quality 4 (128 kbps) AoTuV 0.57 or newer. Average size and great quality with any kind of equipment.
BUT, i would recommend AoTuV 0.57 or newer Quality 0 (64kbps) . I guarantee you'll be amazed by the quality at 64kbps.