Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [DOUBLE POST] console writes could be neater (Read 1946 times) previous topic - next topic

[DOUBLE POST] console writes could be neater

I have had a lot of problems here and after much stuffing around I have finally figured out the problem. While the problem is mine to own, the way foobar deals with the problem is not really all that good... here's my encounter:

During the evening I had to unshare and reshare the drive my music is located on (it's on a mapped network drive - with full write access <- Normally!) What I didn't realise is that once reshared it doesn't reshare as standard with write privs. Foobar apparently was cueing the writes back to the mp3's to be done at a later time. But due to crashes and the like, it wasn't happening. On other exits, the iformation was just getting culled and (I think this was the cause of my) metadb_handle leaks resulted. I have rebooted the server, and checked the write priv's and everything seems to be fine now.

What I suggest is:

1) foobar warns you of pending writes before closing

2) pending writes are saved somewhere to be done next time it runs

^^      I think this is pretty important      ^^
  ^^ especially since i lost 15000+ writes! ^^

3) (a side issue but) have the console window report failed writes in a more standardised format. What I mean by this is don't just have a message that says "attempting to edit..." and then not report the result, if it's still in the cue, then say so.

On this last point, possibly a better way to handle the console is to report on success/failure on the same line by appending something suitable. I was going to make my suggestion by way of example, but the forum/board didn't like it.

I can only imagine what my console must have looked like this morning when there were 15000 pending writes!

I just think the console window could have a slightly better formatted output. As a programmer, I know what is involved, I know it's only a stdout, but it's still possible.