Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Balanced TRS vs 3.5mm stereo cable (Read 7605 times) previous topic - next topic

Balanced TRS vs 3.5mm stereo cable

[1] If I plug two 3.5mm to 6.3mm stereo adapters into a stereo miniplug cable, can I use it as a balanced TRS cable?
[2] If I plug two 6.3mm to 3.5mm stereo adapters into a balanced TRS cable, can I use it as a stereo miniplug cable?

I ask this because I did [1] on my office's RME Multiface II audio interface and ran RMAA, but I only got about -102dB noise. According to my google search such as "rme multiface rightmark" and RME's official spec, similar models usually score lower than -110dB. I checked my RME mixer's setting, tweaked the +4/-10 switch but still cannot achieve better result.

I used a $2 RCA cable to test my Creative X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard and got -119dB so I don't think I need to spend a lot on cables in order to make a proper test. I also don't want to spend money to buy two balanced TRS cables (which are useless to me at home) to test the RME.

Just wondering are [1] and [2] basically the same thing?

Thanks!

Reply #2
Thanks for moving the post to the correct forum.
The fact is I only used one stereo cable to check the RME's left channel and turned mono mode on RMAA, therefore I did not check the stereo crosstalk.

Reply #3
I guess I know the reason now. There are a lot of background services running in the office PC including Novell Netware, Symantec Endpoint Protection, some Intel RAID related stuffs and many other unknown stuffs. Maybe they are the culprits. I am not 100% sure because I do not have right to turn them off but I did a simulation on my home PC, running RMAA while running both CPU and GPU benchmarks and I only got -114dB noise.

The office PC is a Dell with i5 2320 and my home PC is a self-built i3 540. Ironically my home PC is more responsive (time needed to open a Window for example).

Reply #4
Aren't you kind of close the noise floor of the test arrangement to take a few db of difference as other than test error?

Reply #6
Aren't you kind of close the noise floor of the test arrangement to take a few db of difference as other than test error?

I did the test 4 times to average out the errors, the busy results are obviously more noisy.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ost&id=7501

I'm not a fan of black box assume it works properly testing, I like to know all the details of how the tests are performed, what are the areas of sensitivity where results might be more questionable etc.

In this case it seems a bit odd that the major difference is in crosstalk below 100hz, and as far as I can tell no other area. Without knowing more I would not have much confidence in linking cause and effect.

Reply #7
The office PC is a Dell with i5 2320 and my home PC is a self-built i3 540. Ironically my home PC is more responsive (time needed to open a Window for example).

Opening a window would not be CPU-bottlenecked. Probably hard drive. My laptop went from opening iTunes in a bit less than 20 seconds to about 5 when I installed an SSD a few years ago. SSDs are actually fast enough that my Core 2 Duo actually is the bottleneck during the Windows startup apparently.

Reply #8
Solved. Need to select 32-bit int instead of 24-bit to make a real 24-bit recording. 24-bit is basically same as 16-bit but slightly lower noise (-96 vs -102) just because RMAA's 16-bit test signal is dithered. 32-bit int scored -111dB and 32-bit float has no signal at all.

Well done RME, interesting drivers.