Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Terratec Aureon 5.1 vs. Audigy 1 (Read 8936 times) previous topic - next topic

Terratec Aureon 5.1 vs. Audigy 1

I've had an Audigy 1 Player for about a year now and I got sick of waiting for some decent drivers to come out. It has given me a lot of trouble which i have managed to trace back to IRQ sharing. When I disabled ACPI everything worked fine but then my computer doesn't shut down.
Anyway, I have the oportunity to get an Aureon 5.1 Fun for around 20 euros and I was wondering if someone has any experience with it. Would it be worth replacing the Audigy with it? How is Terratec's reputation concerning drivers? (I am using win2000).
Thank you for your time
So much music, so little time...

Reply #1
Aureon Fun is bad quality. It is based on CMI8738 chip, which is very good for digital I/O, but quite bad for analog I/O.

The good Aureons are Space and Sky, both are very similar, they are based on Envy 24HT DSP, Sky is 5.1 and Space is 7.1.

Reply #2
Hmm, but which is better for gaming performance, and is that a concern?

Reply #3
For gaming performance, any Audigy is better than any of the Terratec cards mentioned here. The Terratec Fun is on the bottom of the list on all aspects except on digital I/O, where it beats any Creative card.

Reply #4
How is Terratec's reputation concerning drivers? (I am using win2000).

I have 6fire, drivers for it are quite good for music listening, but they are awful for games - some games have audible crackling when Sensaura 3D is turned on.

Reply #5
Thanks for your replies, I guess it would be a bad idea to replace the Audigy with Aureon Fun after all. Bad analog output is what turned me off, thanks to KikeG for pointing it out. I am not a gamer, so I wouldn't mind worse gaming performance, but I want my music to sound as good as possible.
I suppose I have to put up with audigy's terrible drivers until the end of the summer and then invest some real money on a better card.. 

Reply #6
Thanks for your replies, I guess it would be a bad idea to replace the Audigy with Aureon Fun after all. Bad analog output is what turned me off, thanks to KikeG for pointing it out. I am not a gamer, so I wouldn't mind worse gaming performance, but I want my music to sound as good as possible.
I suppose I have to put up with audigy's terrible drivers until the end of the summer and then invest some real money on a better card.. 

Why not visit here: http://www.kxproject.com/ and try their drivers?

Reply #7

I've tried them, actually several versions up to 3528, but they don't seem to like a certain piece of software I use for dj-ing, namely Traktor DJ Studio 2. Not that creative drivers like it any better, but at least it *runs* with those
I've decided to create a system image with ACPI disabled and use it whenever I have to play in a party or other venue, without ACPI everything works perfectly, if it wasn't for the silly shutdown problem I wouldn't mind disabling it for everyday use as well.

Reply #8

I've quit good experiences with them, however the installer never worked for me, but installing them manually isn't a problem. 

Reply #9
PlaStiK - It is possible to use APM instead of ACPI to allow your PC to turn itself off. It does, however, sometimes involve some major registry manipulation if you have disabled ACPI on an ACPI enabled installation. You need to make sure the NT APM legacy thing is in device manager (may need show hidden devices). Chances are it will be malfunctioning. To make it work you may need to swap some device tree info between the reg entires for a controlset with apm, and one with acpi.

To be honest, I don't know exactly how I made it work before. The best way is just to reinstall with acpi disabled of course. Doing this will ensure APM is enabled (you may have to tick the Use APM box in Power Settings though).

Reply #10
PlaStiK - It is possible to use APM instead of ACPI to allow your PC to turn itself off. It does, however, sometimes involve some major registry manipulation if you have disabled ACPI on an ACPI enabled installation. You need to make sure the NT APM legacy thing is in device manager (may need show hidden devices). Chances are it will be malfunctioning. To make it work you may need to swap some device tree info between the reg entires for a controlset with apm, and one with acpi.

To be honest, I don't know exactly how I made it work before. The best way is just to reinstall with acpi disabled of course. Doing this will ensure APM is enabled (you may have to tick the Use APM box in Power Settings though).

I tried a lot to make APM work, I must have spent 10 hours in microsoft's knowledge base and google groups, looking at other people's efforts. I installed the NT APM Legacy, changed the computer type to Standard PC, but no luck. I only got as far as getting a black screen instead of "it's now safe to turn off your computer". I guess it takes a lot of registry hacking to do it.
I thought about reinstalling windows but I must have over 60MB in hotfixes and updates which will have to be redownloaded with my ultra fast, super duper 56K modem. 
I will keep searching for a post somewhere out there on how to do this, but if you wake up one day and suddenly you remember how you did it, then by all means let me know!! 

Reply #11

I've tried them, actually several versions up to 3528, but they don't seem to like a certain piece of software I use for dj-ing, namely Traktor DJ Studio 2. Not that creative drivers like it any better, but at least it *runs* with those
I've decided to create a system image with ACPI disabled and use it whenever I have to play in a party or other venue, without ACPI everything works perfectly, if it wasn't for the silly shutdown problem I wouldn't mind disabling it for everyday use as well.

What does it report?

Reply #12

What does it report?

Well, it doesn't report anything! It just crashes at the point where you have to select your audio devices. I can only close it through Task Manager. I downloaded 3532 a few moments ago, I will try installing them a bit later and hope for the best...

Reply #13
I am sure we are not alone in experiencing problems with Creative's drivers.  I get very frequent BSODs when I use their stock drivers.  I recently tried the kxproject drivers, but that hasn't gotten rid of the problems (I get a blue screen on shutdown).  My next step will be to reload XP and only load the kxproject drivers in the hope that maybe somehow this will fix the problems.  Anyway, I am tempted to get the M-Audio Revolution card.  Does anyone know what their drivers are like?

Reply #14

I have 6fire, drivers for it are quite good for music listening, but they are awful for games - some games have audible crackling when Sensaura 3D is turned on.

I also have the 6Fire. When gaming I never use Sensaura 3D. It's just plain horrible. The use of "samplerate  locked" -button has solved all of my gaming problems. Seriously, the card is actually ok for gaming use. I don't miss my former SB cards (& their various problems) at all.
Team musepack (MPC) & REX

Reply #15

I also have the 6Fire. When gaming I never use Sensaura 3D. It's just plain horrible. The use of "samplerate  locked" -button has solved all of my gaming problems. Seriously, the card is actually ok for gaming use. I don't miss my former SB cards (& their various problems) at all.

I need to use it simply because TerraTec doesn't know any smarter way to make stereo become 5.1.
And I don't like to play games at only two front speakers.